Hitler's speeches about Poland?

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Beppo Schmidt

Hitler's speeches about Poland?

Post by Beppo Schmidt » 04 Mar 2004 17:52

Could someone tell me where to find the dates, locations, and text please, of speeches made by Hitler declaring his intention to invade Poland? thanks.

Jes, a.k.a. Beppo Schmidt

xcalibur

Re: Hitler's speeches about Poland?

Post by xcalibur » 04 Mar 2004 18:15

Beppo Schmidt wrote:Could someone tell me where to find the dates, locations, and text please, of speeches made by Hitler declaring his intention to invade Poland? thanks.

Jes, a.k.a. Beppo Schmidt
Public speeches or speeches to the General Staff?

Beppo Schmidt

Post by Beppo Schmidt » 04 Mar 2004 20:54

Public. I once saw a clip from a speech Hitler was giving in the Reichstag, where he started reading off the names of a bunch of countries, including Poland, and everyone started cheering. Would you happen to know which speech this could have been? I'm pretty sure it was before the invasion of Poland.

Kingdom of Montenegro

Post by Kingdom of Montenegro » 04 Mar 2004 21:24

Beppo Schmidt wrote:Public. I once saw a clip from a speech Hitler was giving in the Reichstag, where he started reading off the names of a bunch of countries, including Poland, and everyone started cheering. Would you happen to know which speech this could have been? I'm pretty sure it was before the invasion of Poland.
I think Roosevelt has sent him the list of countries that he thought should be independent.Hitler read it to the Reichstag and they were all laughing especially when he said Russland(Russia).

xcalibur

Post by xcalibur » 04 Mar 2004 21:41

Beppo Schmidt wrote:Public. I once saw a clip from a speech Hitler was giving in the Reichstag, where he started reading off the names of a bunch of countries, including Poland, and everyone started cheering. Would you happen to know which speech this could have been? I'm pretty sure it was before the invasion of Poland.
That speech was given to the Reichstag at the Kroll Opera House in Berlin on April 28, 1939. More significant than Hitler's derision of Roosevelt's letter was that he also revoked the non-aggression pact with Poland of 1934 and the naval agreement with Britain of 1935.

Beppo Schmidt

Post by Beppo Schmidt » 05 Mar 2004 00:05

Thanks a lot guys.

Xcalibur, could you tell me somewhere I could find the exact text of that speech?

bonzen

Post by bonzen » 05 Mar 2004 00:49

I have an abbreviated audio clip of Hitler's speech before the Reichstag just prior to the beginning of hostilities. Hitler claims "this evening, for the first time, Poland has fired on regular soldiers on our territory" The broadcast is interrupted twice by news that the French and British cabinets will meet in emergency sessions. Very unnerving to hear

varjag
Financial supporter

Post by varjag » 13 Mar 2004 12:53

Kingdom of Montenegro wrote:
I think Roosevelt has sent him the list of countries that he thought should be independent.Hitler read it to the Reichstag and they were all laughing especially when he said Russland(Russia).
Roosevelt had sent Hitler a list of no less than 31(?) countries for which he wanted Hitlers assurance that he was NOT going to invade. I believe that Roosevelt omitted the USSR, Britain, France in his long list - but included Syria (!) In his 'reply to Roosevelt' speech, Hitler rattled off the list, one by one. but only the observant - AFTER the speech, noted that he had, slyly, OMITTED POLAND, his next on the agenda.

Witch-King of Angmar

Post by Witch-King of Angmar » 13 Mar 2004 20:08

Kingdom of Montenegro wrote:I think Roosevelt has sent him the list of countries that he thought should be independent.Hitler read it to the Reichstag and they were all laughing especially when he said Russland(Russia).
Actually Roosevelt had sent him a list of countries and asked security guarantees from Hitler. Like that, no negotiations, no concessions, no mutual agreement. Diplomatically, the idea was unwise and rude, Roosevelt treated Hitler like a subordinate. Derision was the appropriate answer if Hitler wished to express the independence of his own country and not appear as a subordinate.

~The Witch-King of Angmar

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”