What was Goebbels' role in Triumph des Willens?

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Cory C

What was Goebbels' role in Triumph des Willens?

Post by Cory C » 12 Apr 2004, 04:18

What role did Goebbels have in the photography, production, editing, direction, etc. of Leni Riefenstahl's Triumph des Willens?

~Cory

Alexander Zöller

Post by Alexander Zöller » 12 Apr 2004, 04:47

Cory, as far as I know Goebbels was in no way involved in the technical production of 'Triumph of the Will'. I'm not even sure if the Propaganda Ministry was funding the project. The Ufa Filmverleih loaned Riefenstahl 300,000 Reichsmark to film 'Triumph', of which she used 270,000.

JG watched the result, deemed it perfect, and started setting aside funds for future Riefenstahl projects. It seems he never tried to interfere with her artistic or aesthetic attitude for the simple reason that it was exactly what he wanted.

Alexander

Cory C

Post by Cory C » 12 Apr 2004, 05:48

Hi Alexander!

Good to see you around. Thanks for the info. I assumed, as minister of Propaganda, Goebbels would have had some role in the technical aspect of what was a major Nazi propaganda acheivement. I was wrong! :)

Thanks very much.
Yours,
~Cory

Nina van M.

Post by Nina van M. » 13 Apr 2004, 12:28

Ammmm, I watched Leni Riefenstahl's life-story in two parts as a two films (pre-nazi era and the other in nazi era) made by German researchers (sorry I can't remember their names now) on our National TV about a half a year ago. I remember it quite well, so...

I think Goebbels&Propaganda ministry were the one who ordered Leni she should make a film on this event. Leni was at first very sceptical and didn't want to make it, but then Goebbels put some psychic pressure on her and she decided to do it and take that as a sort of challenge. I still remember her saying that she filmed it as a documentary and not with primal attempt to glorify Hitler. And not true that Goebbels left Riefenstahl to do what she wanted to (most of the time that was true, but not all the time)... He even molested her physically and seduced her, but she ran away not thinking what consequences that might bring for her carreer. She addmited that too in that interesting documentary.

Greeting,

Nina

Alexander Zöller

Post by Alexander Zöller » 13 Apr 2004, 14:24

Nina,

thanks for your input on this matter. I understood the initial question as one pertaining to the technical production of 'Triumph' - i.e. photography, editing, directing as Cory has specified. As far as that is concerned I stand by what I said: Goebbels was never involved in the technical production. But I was wrong on Goebbels respecting Riefenstahl's artistic freedom.

As you have highlighted whether he tried to influence the project in a more or less unsavoury manner is quite another question! I would advise however to be very careful with Riefenstahl's recollections on this period of her life. She certainly was not the hesitant 'documentarian' that she later proclaimed to have been.

That's not to say of course that Goebbels wouldn't have tried to pressure her, perhaps even attempt to seduce her (lots of other examples for this, with the main difference being that other women who refused had to face consequences!).

Back to the initial question (technical involvement), does anybody know if the Propaganda Ministry funded the project? From the scant information I can find it seems the Ufa film studios may have been commissioned to produce 'Triumph' (by the Propaganda Ministry or the NSDAP), though the Ufa studios paid for the project themselves as they were planning to make revenue from the result.

Alexander

Nina van M.

Post by Nina van M. » 13 Apr 2004, 20:29

Alexander,

maybe I wasn't clear enough before but you've already noticed that before - my answer was reffering only to your 2nd paragraph in first post and only to Goebbels' giving totally free hands to Riefenstahl and nothing more. She had still had much more artistic freedom than some of the others. Wanted or not, she had some sort of special "position" in high ranked Nazis' eyes - that incident with Goebbels only confirms this sort of claim.

About Leni I know how this thing goes, I usually take that "cum grano salis", so don't worry :wink: I just said what Leni told about herself, nothing more. I'm very aware how controversial she was (still is). One of the most surprising things she mentioned in this same documentary, was that she met Hitler personally a very few times only and she wasn't there sticking around all the time like some might think for such a popular director&actress would do.

I know I didn't answer your question but I just thought I should point that out before topic goes on.

Regards,

Nina

Alexander Zöller

Post by Alexander Zöller » 13 Apr 2004, 20:51

Nina,

thanks for clarifying, you summed it up very nicely. Sorry if I sounded a bit harsh in my previous post. Leni was and is a controversial figure and one is well-advised to read different accounts when it comes to her role during the Third Reich. With a grain of salt, as you say :wink:

Cheers,

Alexander

Eva

Post by Eva » 14 Apr 2004, 03:20

from what I've gleaned, I think Dr. G's role in "Triumph" was to get in the way, argue minor points, and basically be annoyed that Leni Riefenstahl didn't give a rap about what he wanted.
i.e. he would object to a camera placement and she'd put the camera there anyway.

Glad she stuck to her guns and did it her way- it turned out to be a wonderful movie
E

George L Gregory

Re: What was Goebbels' role in Triumph des Willens?

Post by George L Gregory » 16 Jan 2021, 19:02

Riefenstahl had a lot of arguments about the film with Goebbels.

Nevertheless, remember what was covered during the film when Goebbels said:

“May the bright flame of enthusiasm never be extinguished. It alone gives light and warmth to the creative art of modern political propaganda. This art rose from the depths of the people and in order to search out its roots and locate its power, it must always return to these depths. It may be alright to possess power based upon guns, it is however better and more gratifying to win and also to champion the hearts of the people.”

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”