What is an "Urlaubsbunker"?

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Geoff Walden

What is an "Urlaubsbunker"?

Post by Geoff Walden » 02 May 2004 14:31

Not sure where this query should go, but it's a piece of architecture ...

Why would an underground bunker on a Luftwaffe base be called an "Urlaubsbunker?" I know what "Urlaub" means, but I don't understand why a military bunker would have this word written above the entrance.

Geoff Walden
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DunklerProphet

Post by DunklerProphet » 02 May 2004 16:41

Maybe it was just an attempt to avoid tension within the civilians running to the shelter...

AvD

Post by AvD » 03 May 2004 00:45

Hi Geoff

Just ask Google. You will be surprised by the number of answers. There is even something about a typical "Urlaubsbunker":

http://www.holidaycheck.de/berichtFrame.php?id=165050.

And this is even better (http://www.fortunecity.de/olympia/puls/76/ruegen11.htm):
Nicht weit von Binz entfernt westlich entlang der Prorer Wiek liegt Prora, dessen "Kraft-durch-Freude (KDF)" Urlaubsbunker ein Beispiel des architektonischen Größenwahns der Nazis ist.
PS Will be in Berchtesgaden in two weeks.

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 03 May 2004 13:42

Hi Andre,

I found these sites by Google also, but it still doesn't make sense to me - why a small military bunker would be called an "Urlaubsbunker" - maybe it was some sort of period humor that I don't understand.

I will be on the 'Berg the week before you are there, it looks like.

Geoff

Zapfenstreich

Post by Zapfenstreich » 03 May 2004 18:16

Is it possible this bunker is built on a resort set aside for the "Strength Through Joy" vacationers?

Z :?

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 03 May 2004 18:23

No, this bunker is on an ex-Luftwaffe base that was used to train Stuka pilots in the late 1930s and 40s. I cannot imagine any possible civilian use for this bunker. It looks like either a munitions storage bunker, or possibly a Luftschutzbunker (I have not been inside).

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”