Obersalzberg

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Geoff Walden

Ruins and Gift Shops

Post by Geoff Walden » 27 Jul 2002, 22:27

Geli asked what the Berghof ruins looked like in '45 and '46, and who was occupying them. No-one was occupying them, but they were under the control of the American Military Government authorities.

To see photos of what the Berghof looked like from 1945-1952, see these pages:

http://www.reichinruins.simonides.org/o ... tm#Berghof (middle of the page, to the bottom)

http://www.reichinruins.simonides.org/berghof.htm (last one-third of the page)

--------

sylvieK4 asked "What are they selling in the gift shops?" The Kehlsteinhaus gift shops sell books, videos, and a lot of "kitsch" type Berchtesgaden souvenirs - plates, cups, patches, stickers, hiking supplies, post cards, and other standard tourist souvenirs. No "Nazi" or neo-Nazi items. They are only allowed to sell certain books (nothing that shows Hitler in any sort of positive light).

Geoff Walden

British Free Corp Mann

Post by British Free Corp Mann » 27 Jul 2002, 22:48

''there is not one stick of original furniture left''

that is a wrong statement.The large cabinet in the now inside restaurant on the right hand side as you go in is the ONLY piece of original furniture left.This was because it was to large for the American soldiers to steal. :lol: All the wood panneling in Eva Braun's room[not officially called this but often refered to] is all original Scotch pine and what a gfantastic sight it is.Apparently laast year they replaced all the windows and frames as they were letting to much cold in and not economical enough!!
I was there in June.
well wirth a visit,but first go to Geoofs sight it is such a big help,you will find so much otherwise you would walk on past,believe me.I would also reccomend the organised tour that leaves more or les opposite the train station from the tourist info shop,it is well worth it and the guide really knows her stuff.I did this day 1 and spent 3 more days around the area focusing on the Nazi palces only.You need minimum of 4 days I'd say.

Ken Jasper
In memoriam

Post by Ken Jasper » 27 Jul 2002, 23:39

I should have mentioned much earlier that members who would like to read much more about the Obersalzburg and the Kehlsteinhaus (possibly more than you ever cared to know) should buy a copy of the book, "History of the Eagle's Nest, a Complete account of Adolf Hitler's alleged 'Mountain Fortress'" by Florian M. Beierl. It was published in 1998 and distributed by Verlag Plenk, Berchtesgaden (http://www.plenk-verlag.com). Mine is the second edition in English.

Although the primary focus of the book is the construction of the "Eagle's Nest" there is an excelent chapter on the construction and renovation of the entire Obersalzburg area for the Bonzen of the Third Reich. Great photos of the renovation of the Berghof and the construction of the SS baracks and the various admin buildings. There are rare photos of Hitler visiting the "Eagle's Nest;" something he did only a handful of times since he didn't like the thin air, suffered from vertigo and had a fear of heights.. There is also good coverage of the "Mooslahner Teehaus," finished in 1937, which Hitler did visit almost on a daily basis when he was at the Berghof. There is also a great chapter on the occupation of the Berghof by troops of the 3rd Infantry Division ("The Marne") with photos of U.S. Soldiers drinking "Pommery" Champagne which they found in the basement of the Berghof. Photos clearly show the condition of the area in May 1945. The occupation of the "Eagle's Nest" is also covered. The bombing raid on 25 April 1945, by 318 British Lancasters, ordered to "destroy Hitler's Alpine Fortress" is covered. The 1986 removal of the security fence by the Berchtesgaden Mountain Rescue Service is covered and lastly there are color plates of the cast of the TV production "War and Remembrance" when it was filmed there at the end of the 1980s.
This is a book that will make an excellent addition to any library.

Eva

Thanks

Post by Eva » 28 Jul 2002, 21:14

Thanks for the book sugestion- I'm going to have to add that one to my wish list!! Can you get it from the url in your post?

EB

Ken Jasper
In memoriam

Post by Ken Jasper » 28 Jul 2002, 22:56

EB:

I assume so. Mine came from a stateside bookdealer. A friend bought it for me as a gift. You might also try contacting the English translator:

Grace Atwood
6403 Westcoat
Colleyville, Texas 76034
Phone: 817-485-7398
Fax: 817-465-1500

Geli

Post by Geli » 29 Jul 2002, 05:17

Eagle's Nest Gift Shop:

http://www.eagles-nest.de/seite/shop_e.htm

They have a "History of the Eagle's Nest" book for sale. Is this the same book?
British Free Corp Mann wrote:.I did this day 1 and spent 3 more days around the area focusing on the Nazi palces only.You need minimum of 4 days I'd say.
I'm planning a trip...what should I see in addition to the Eagle's Nest and bunkers?

Ken Jasper
In memoriam

Post by Ken Jasper » 29 Jul 2002, 13:36

That is the same book.

Reichsadler

Post by Reichsadler » 05 Aug 2002, 15:56

Are there any pictures of the current status of the Platterhof area???

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”