Karl May and the nazis

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
freiwillige

Karl May and the nazis

Post by freiwillige » 25 May 2004 13:53

Hi,

I read in various places that Hitler admired the western novels of Karl May. This interest was the same in the general population and politics?

Any internet address or article on this question?

Regards,

F.

Wasa

Post by Wasa » 25 May 2004 14:15

HaEn
In memoriam

Karl May

Post by HaEn » 25 May 2004 15:14

OK I visitted the site. Nothing mindshattering. I read just about all Karl May books in my youth and was fascinated by his stories about places and sitiuations he never had encountered. His books were mainly written in a prison cell. I fail to see where his writings influenced Hitler and his followers. Perhaps I am color blind :oops: HN.

maxxx

Post by maxxx » 25 May 2004 16:59

well, even with colourful foreign background karl may- books are full of white supremacy-phantasies. Actually not worse than, let´s say Kipling, so it must be the view of the period....
And, (take "Weihnacht", one of the lesser known and really bizarre Wildwest-Christmas-Stories) Old Shatterhand sometimes poses as some sort of aryan messiah . Maybe Hitler liked mixing adventure and mission? :)

I don´t know exactly from what book it is, but i remember the good laugh Kara ben Nemsi has when he has mixed pork into faithful Hatschi´s dinner
and watches his disgusted face after telling him. This sort of humour on someone else´s cost could appeal to Hitler.....

Johnny

Post by Johnny » 25 May 2004 19:40

Guido Knopp amongst other present day historians take the time to write about Hitler's fascination with Karl May (his favorite author according to Knopp) But when he talks about the manstein plan against France being appealing to Hitler because it suited his sense of adventure that he got from the May books he might be stretching it, just a bit.
/J

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”