1942 Soviet Paradise Exhibition in Ber

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
JLEES

1942 Soviet Paradise Exhibition in Ber

Post by JLEES » 02 Jul 2004 17:38

Hello,
In 1942 Goebbels opened the “Soviet Paradise Exhibition” in Berlin. As I understand it the 1942 show presented a number of simple-looking peasant displays designed to project the idea that the Russians were backwards people having little culture. After it finished in Berlin it went on to other cities throughout the Reich. I just purchased a postcard promoting this show. What caught me off guard about it was the rear side textual information printed about the exhibition. I thought the text might be informative for those interested in the Eastern Front and the propaganda associated with it. For years the Nazis had claimed that the Soviets were backward inferior race of people. Could someone translate it into English?
James
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PropCollector
In memoriam

Post by PropCollector » 02 Jul 2004 17:58

A quick translation:

"The circumstances in this paradise of workers and farmers cannot be described easily, you should see it yourself". That is the description given in the letters home from many of our brave soldiers.

"This is how it really looks, only the dirt and lice are missing". That was the general opinion of our soldiers who did fight in the east and also did see the exposition.

In this exposition, photographs, graphics and models only form the supplement to the large amount of factual material found in the Sowjet union and rebuild here in Berlin.

Farmhouses, Workers houses, interiors of houses, clothes, show the inconceivable bad conditions in which the inhabitants of the Workers and farmers paradise have to live.

Prisoncels, torture cels, torture equipment, death chambers, prove how these people are being suppressed.

Military equipment, uniforms, automatic weapons, guns, tanks, planes etc., show the big difference between the poverty of the people and the excellent equipment of the Bolshewistic attack army.

The Berlin people has, from mai 10 onward, the oppertunity to visit the exhibition "The Sowjet paradise" in the [Lustgarten] daily from 9am-9pm . Cheaper tickets can be bought for the price of 0,35 RM from the offices of the NSDAP and its connected offices and in the specially marked 'early sales points'.

So far
Hans

PropCollector
In memoriam

Post by PropCollector » 02 Jul 2004 18:07

Similar:

To show to the Russians how the German people did live in great wealth, the German Propaganda Kompanieen did have travelling expositions showing the Russians (in Russia) (with pictures, posters, models etc.) the live in Germany.

They also did build smalll villages in Russia after German examples (so typical German houses, shops etc) for this purpose.

Al this in the hope to get more Russians to feel positiv on the German soldiers that concurred large parts of Russia. It seemed to have some effect, until the Germans did start to loose ground to the communists.

Source: Heysing article from March 1965

JLEES

Postcard

Post by JLEES » 02 Jul 2004 18:21

Hans,
Thanks for the kind translation. Dod you ever hear of the Soviet Paradice Exhibition before? The propaganda on the card looks great.
James

PropCollector
In memoriam

Re: Postcard

Post by PropCollector » 02 Jul 2004 18:30

JLEES wrote:Hans,
....? The propaganda on the card looks great.
show please :)

hans

PropCollector
In memoriam

Re: Postcard

Post by PropCollector » 02 Jul 2004 18:31

....? The propaganda on the card looks great.
show please :)

hans

PropCollector
In memoriam

Post by PropCollector » 02 Jul 2004 18:32

my pc is behaving eraticcaly... sorry. I did see the picture of the front of the card, but itt seems like an artists impression. It doesnot show a photo of the actual pieces in exhibition?

Hans

PropCollector
In memoriam

Post by PropCollector » 02 Jul 2004 18:34

http://www.cine-holocaust.de/cgi-bin/gd ... w003455.gd

So there seems to be a film with the same title and subject!!!! Have to do some more research for pics.

Hans

PropCollector
In memoriam

Post by PropCollector » 02 Jul 2004 18:40

>>>
1942 Mitglieder der jüdischen Widerstandsgruppe um Herbert Baum legen Brandsätze in der antisowjetischen Propagandaausstellung "Das Sowjet-Paradies" im Lustgarten (Mitte). Elf Besucher wurden verletzt.
<<<<

Meaning something like:
Memebrs of the Jewish resistance group around Herbert Baum place incendairy devices in the anti-Sowjet propaganda exposition "Das Sowjet Paradies" in the [Lustgarten] . 11 visitors did get hurt.

See :

http://www.dhm.de/gaeste/luise/tagesfak ... 5/0518.htm

It seems there was a kind of jewish terrorist attack on the exposition!!
Never did hear of this before...

Hans

PropCollector
In memoriam

Post by PropCollector » 02 Jul 2004 18:42

James:

http://www.calvin.edu/academic/cas/gpa/paradise.htm

I think this is what you need.

Hans

JLEES

The Postcard

Post by JLEES » 02 Jul 2004 20:00

Hans,
I never heard of the attack on the exhibition either. I wonder what the story was behind this claim?

I didn't know there was a Nazi produced film "Das Sowjet-Paradies" to go along with the exhibition. Have you ever seen the movie? Is this correct?
James

PropCollector
In memoriam

Re: The Postcard

Post by PropCollector » 02 Jul 2004 21:37

I never heard of the attack on the exhibition either. I wonder what the story was behind this claim?

I didn't know there was a Nazi produced film "Das Sowjet-Paradies" to go along with the exhibition. Have you ever seen the movie? Is this correct?
James
I think the links tell a true story. Maybe somebody else can tell more?

Never heard of both the exposition or the film. But both are not exactly along my line of interest, although it sounds interesting. Especially this resistance story. Maybe a google search on this Herbert Baum will learn you more...?

Hans

PropCollector
In memoriam

Post by PropCollector » 02 Jul 2004 21:41

James.

The full story?

Here:

http://www.cwporter.com/hbaum.htm

JLEES

The Postcard

Post by JLEES » 02 Jul 2004 23:09

That was a most interesting story. I seem to also remember hearing something about this too. Thanks again hans for bring it to my attention.
James

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”