'Signal' magazine

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Oswald Mosley

'Signal' magazine

Post by Oswald Mosley » 08 Aug 2002, 00:32

I'm interested in information concerning this popular pictorial magazine produced in Germany during the Nazi era and distributed pretty much all over the world. I understand that a very good English language edition was produced, initially available in the USA and Eire, then only in the latter country after the US entry into the war. There were editions in all the major European languages and also some obscure ones.

How much was this publication purely a mouthpiece of NSDAP propaganda? Were there any articles within it that could be regarded as noteworthy for one reason or another?

verbe

Post by verbe » 08 Aug 2002, 12:41

My father has a large paper back book which is basically a "best of" Signal (in english).
If it's still in print it should be quite easy to get hold of. I'll check for references anyway when I next see him.
TV

Polynike

Post by Polynike » 08 Aug 2002, 14:23

any online resource sites that use signal as source material or is there an online reproduction of it?

i have a book by bob carruthers on panzers that uses some signal pics and they are quite good.

Juha Hujanen

Signal magazine

Post by Juha Hujanen » 08 Aug 2002, 15:38

I've have nearly all copies of Signal Finnish edition between 41-44,and it is quite typical wartime propaganda magazine.Typically it has "why are we fighting in east" article or map of Asia,showing Japanese conquered areas.It has some great photopgraphs(whitch i think are best part of magazine" and typically "a day in a life of company in east" story.Later part of magazine is culture oriented.One article comes to my mind.It was "80 downed enemy airplanes in one nignt"showing in photos every crash site of shot down RAF bomber.
IMHO photographs and some articles makes magazine interesting enought to buy but articles are too heavily "propagandanized" being any use(according to magazine German army is still fighting victorious war in the east 8O )

Regards Juha

viriato

Post by viriato » 08 Aug 2002, 21:02

This is a link to a spanish site about SIGNAL:

http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/Embassy/2517

AndyW

Post by AndyW » 09 Aug 2002, 11:27

As a side note:

"Signal" was under directive of SS-Obersturmbannführer and Dr.phil. Paul Karl Schmidt (NSDAP-No. 420853, SS-No. 308262), who later became famous under the pen name "Paul Carell".

Cheers,

Qvist

Post by Qvist » 09 Aug 2002, 12:08

A book tip if you're interested in Signal:

Some years ago, I got hold of a collection of English language Signal articles. The book in question is:

"Signal: Hitler's Wartime Picture Magazine" by S.L. Mayer (ed.). Bison Books, London, 1976.

Likely long since out of print, but possibly obtainable through ebay or some such channel. It contains quite a lot of interesting material.

cheers

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 09 Aug 2002, 12:15

(click the cover)

One book on Signal that still is in print is "Their War: German Combat Photographs from the Archives of Signal Magazine" by Will Fowler.
Wherever German forces operated during World War II, they were accompanied by the photographers of Signal, the German armed forces magazine?and the brainchild of Goebbel's propaganda ministry. While primarily a propaganda organ intended as a morale-booster (the title was a pun on the German word "seig" for "victory"), the Signal staff was always close to the front line, and took some of the most famous German combat photos of the war, including many in color.
Author and photo researcher Will Fowler has dug beneath the surface to reveal the true face of combat as German soldiers, sailors and airmen experienced it. He has now assembled a comprehensive and unique selection of Signal photos covering every major theater and arm of the German war machine.
Their War is much more than a photo scrapbook. Maps and a knowledgeable text follow the course of the war, year by year, theater by theater. And most importantly, the photographs are presented with detailed captions identifying units, locales, weaponry and equipment.

/Marcus

Benoit Douville

Post by Benoit Douville » 09 Aug 2002, 19:36

This book is a piece of collection. I think i am gona buy it. I think this book is not too expensive. Thanks Marcus for posting it, i didn't know that such book existed!

Oswald Mosley

Post by Oswald Mosley » 09 Aug 2002, 20:27

Marcus Wendel wrote:Image
(click the cover)

One book on Signal that still is in print is "Their War: German Combat Photographs from the Archives of Signal Magazine" by Will Fowler.
Wherever German forces operated during World War II, they were accompanied by the photographers of Signal, the German armed forces magazine?and the brainchild of Goebbel's propaganda ministry. While primarily a propaganda organ intended as a morale-booster (the title was a pun on the German word "seig" for "victory"), the Signal staff was always close to the front line, and took some of the most famous German combat photos of the war, including many in color.
Author and photo researcher Will Fowler has dug beneath the surface to reveal the true face of combat as German soldiers, sailors and airmen experienced it. He has now assembled a comprehensive and unique selection of Signal photos covering every major theater and arm of the German war machine.
Their War is much more than a photo scrapbook. Maps and a knowledgeable text follow the course of the war, year by year, theater by theater. And most importantly, the photographs are presented with detailed captions identifying units, locales, weaponry and equipment.

/Marcus

Thanks a lot, Marcus.

Carlos Diez

Re: 'Signal' magazine

Post by Carlos Diez » 16 Aug 2011, 16:05

New Site Web SIGNAL History

http://www.reocities.com/CapitolHill/Embassy/2517/ (in Spanish)

I have Signal magazines in sevaral languages for trade or Sale.

Foggy151

Post by Foggy151 » 02 Aug 2019, 20:43

Hi I have 2 full bound editions for 1941 and 1942 both volumes are in English. I would post a photo but can’t work out how to on this site.

Carlos Diez

Post by Carlos Diez » 02 Aug 2019, 21:03

Pese send me to email [email protected]

Wehrwirts1

Post by Wehrwirts1 » 03 Aug 2019, 00:54

I have Their War, nice book.
I also have Their War, a great book.
But it is not all Signsl.
What you want is, as someone said before - SL Mayer - two books, years of Victory, years of Defeat.

Wehrwirts1

Post by Wehrwirts1 » 03 Aug 2019, 00:56

I have a link to a company that consistently turns up English Editions of Original Signal Magazines. PM me if interested, OM.
I think it it, hands down, the most influential TR publication ever created.

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”