Steal framework for windows Berchtesgaden

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
coen72

Post by coen72 » 12 Aug 2004, 13:03

On my last tour to Berchtesgaden I found an old steal framework, wich was originaly placed for a window of one of the buildings on the Berghof.
I found an exact match of such an design on one of the remaining buildings on the gateway to the Berghof, but it was a lot smaller.
Can anywone tell me, or give me information, on wich building the framework was originaly placed? (Perhaps a picture of this building?)
The framework measures 115,5 cm by 145,5 cm.
Attachments
Hekwerk B.jpg
Original building
Hekwerk B.jpg (148.55 KiB) Viewed 1293 times

Erich-SA

Post by Erich-SA » 18 Aug 2004, 23:56

There are photos showing the front steps of the Berghof that show a window with a similar iron grate in front of it--I'll have to look in a few books I bought in Obersalzberg. Did you find it or was it in a shop?
Erich

coen72

Framework Berchtesgaden

Post by coen72 » 19 Aug 2004, 20:46

Thanks for your reaction, I am looking forward for the pics.
I have bought the framework from a person who had mounted it on the wall of his barn.
His father had removed it from the Berghof for his own use.

ihoyos

Post by ihoyos » 20 Aug 2004, 22:44

The number of diamonts dont match with the window related in the steps of berhoff. may be belonged to another place.
Check this ( not links sorry)
http://www.historychannel.com
clip VIDEO AUDIO
browse VIDEOS per CATEGORY
HISTORICAL ICONS.
select clip HITLER AT HIS MOUNTAIN HOUSE 53 second video clip.
stop the movies when hitler is beside the window and compare.
regards.

reichpilot

Post by reichpilot » 21 Aug 2004, 13:58

I noticed another window in the kitchen area that has a grate over it similar to the one you have. I can't see it too clearly, but I saw it on Geoff's site. ( http://www.thirdreichruins.com/berghof.htm )

Look towards the bottom. It will be the last LARGE black and white photo. I may be 100% wrong, but it appears that the window has a grate on it.

Does the grate have any markings or stampings on it somewhere? You may be right. This may have come from one of the many buildings in that area that are no longer there. Is that made from aluminum? I see rust, but that appears to have been made by the mounting hinges. It looks aluminum. I'd be surprised if they use aluminum as a protective grate on anything that was important.

Don

coen72

Post by coen72 » 22 Aug 2004, 02:19

Hi Don, Thanks for the info.
The fence is not from aluminium, but from steal, and I have found no markings on it yet.
I have made a picture of a smaller framework, wich still exists today, that framework is a lot smaller, but has exactly the same patern.
Greetings, Jeroen.
Attachments
hekwerk axis forum.jpg
Framework, wich still exists today on an old building. situated on the foot of the Obersalzberg.
hekwerk axis forum.jpg (217.22 KiB) Viewed 1075 times

reichpilot

Post by reichpilot » 22 Aug 2004, 12:32

Very interesting on the style and makeup. I saw some mesh similar on the Platterhof, but the picture and my screen and my eyes don't allow me to CLEARLY see enough to count the diamonds. In my journeys, if I run across anything, I'll be sure to come back and post anything I find. That would be a nice if it is truly a Berghof item. Even if it is from the compound area, it is still a catch.

Don

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 23 Aug 2004, 15:13

There was also a window in the basement wall of the Berghof, at the bottom of the large outside staircase (opening into the basement beneath the Great Hall - I think into the furnace room). This window also had a diamond pattern grill over it. I don't have a real clear photo of it, but it can be seen in the famous photo taken 4 May 1945, with GIs from the 3rd Infantry Division running up the Berghof driveway, with the bomb-blasted "Bormann Tree" at the left side of the photo. This window is right in front of the GIs. The pattern and size on this grillwork looks very much like the one that coen72 found on the barn.

It's interesting to look closely at photos showing the better-known grillwork over the window for the projection room. In photos up to and including the other famous 4 May 1945 photo, showing GIs hauling down the Berghof flag, this grillwork is decidedly rectangular, just covering that window. But if you look at some later photos, under US occupation, this grillwork is a lot bigger. One such photo is on the cover of the Obersalzberg picture book by Hanisch - this photo shows a GI standing guard at the "Bormann Tree" beside the main driveway. You can also see the basement window in this photo, but I can't tell if it has the grillwork over it. Maybe somebody moved these grillworks early-on? Or am I just seeing things?

The best detailed photo I have seen of the grillwork over the projection room window was a Walter Frentz photo of the Berghof staircase in winter time (this photo is in the Arndt-Verlag Berghof book). You can see that the grill had no outer bars (like the one coen72 found), but the outer "points" bent back and were inserted directly into the wall masonry. I don't know if the other window grills were like this or not.

(FWIW, I also note that these window grillworks were not always there - they don't appear in early Berghof photos, ca. 1936.)

So there seem to be several possibilities for the origin of this grillwork - but it certainly seems very possible that it did indeed come from the Berghof (except I can't see the bars going around the outside in period photos - could they be a later addition?).

Wherever it came from, great find, coen72!

Geoff Walden

coen72

Grillwork

Post by coen72 » 24 Aug 2004, 23:34

Thanks a lot for the information, It is very usable.

I have some more interesting finds, wich I want to examine, I will soon put them on the forum site. I hope I can count on your help again.
Greetings, Coen.

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”