Similarities between Prussian militarism & Japanese Bush

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Panzermahn

Similarities between Prussian militarism & Japanese Bush

Post by Panzermahn » 10 Sep 2004, 12:44

Hi,

I have notice some similarities between prussian militarism and japanese code of Bushido...

a) Prussians and Japanese always emphasized on personal honor..for example, the men will commit suicide (hara-kiri for japanese) after suffering hummiliation of defeat

b) Prussian sense of duty with japanese tenacity

c) supreme self sacrifice

maxxx

Post by maxxx » 10 Sep 2004, 18:12

I cant see that the personal honor of a british or french officer did count less than that of a prussian. Duells were even more widespread in other officers corps.

Dont mix up prussian military traditions with those of the rest of germany (You can still get in trouble by calling a bavarian a "preiss!". Even the Nazis tried to integrate "prussian" values only where they were useful for them. A prussian officer was not educated to kill POWs or civilians. Hitler hated the Higher ranks of the early Wehrmacht and they thought Hitler was just the "bohemian corporal"(copyright Hindenburg).

To stay with the Prussians: I think a British officer in WW1 was closer to his "prussian" counterpart than the Prussian was to the Samurai.

But of course both of them were members of the state-leading warrior class.

Eden Zhang

Re: Similarities between Prussian militarism & Japanese

Post by Eden Zhang » 17 Sep 2004, 07:45

Joachim Chan wrote:c) supreme self sacrifice
In that case we can also draw parrallels between policemen who die fighting criminals, a fireman who dies trying to save another person's life or even the millions of other men of every other nation that fought in World War 2 who died.

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”