The propaganda of April-May 1945

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
TePe

Signal 6/1945

Post by TePe » 06 Apr 2005 19:00

more...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TePe

Signal 6/1945

Post by TePe » 06 Apr 2005 19:03

more...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TePe

Signal 6/1945

Post by TePe » 06 Apr 2005 19:09

more...

TePe

Signal 6/1945

Post by TePe » 06 Apr 2005 19:12

last pages...

TePe

Signal 6/1945

Post by TePe » 06 Apr 2005 19:21

further articles not shown are:

"The greek tragedy" the end of the english politic. About the english battles in Greece.
"Vienna, city of music" about the composer from Vienna like Schubert, Mozart, Haydn, Strauss and more..
"Reserves of the soul" about rejuvenation from different surgical operations.
"Ten centimeters longer" about the japanese youth and their traditions.
"Giacomo Casanova" about the life of Casanova.

Thats about it. If anyone wants deeper descriptions of the articles let me know....

/Thomas

JLEES

Der Panzerbär and Signal

Post by JLEES » 06 Apr 2005 21:00

TePe,
It’s most interesting how the Signal 6/1945 in Swedish uses several pictures of German troops that were taken earlier in the war. It could give one the impression that the Wehrmacht was more powerful then it really was. It’s also interesting that there were several article not dealing with the conflict too.

Jv,
Thanks for the late war Der Panzerbär. I understand Dr. Werner Naumann of the Propaganda Ministry edited the paper. Does the Der Panzerbär have any publishing information? Where in Berlin was it printed?
James

jv
In memoriam

Propaganda April - May 1945

Post by jv » 07 Apr 2005 06:40

The most gripping real world propaganda is what is written on a sign hanging round the neck of a German soldier in 1945: "This is how all traitors of the Fatherland die". jv

Lars Gyllenhaal

Signal´s last

Post by Lars Gyllenhaal » 13 Apr 2005 08:08

Dear TP and all of you,

The Signal No 6 really intrigues me. 8O

I cannot read on the cover which countries they had in mind that it would be sold in. Early on you would see like 20 different prices on a Signal cover, i.e. the price of it in Francs, Swiss Francs, Finnish Marks, Swedish, Norwegian and Danish Crowns etc. Which countries was No. 6 to be sold in?

And when do you reckon No. 6 was made? And for which publication date?

Was Signal a weekly or monthly journal in 1945???

Was this Swedish No. 6 1945 issue the very very last (known) issue of Signal that was made?

And who knows about where Swedish Signals were printed?

Also - is there any book about the staff of Signal? I´d like to read about the editors of the journal and what became of them after WWII...

Cheers,

Lars

TePe

Signal 6/1945

Post by TePe » 13 Apr 2005 10:39

Hello Lars and all interested....

The Scandinavian (Denmark, Norway and Sweden) issues was printed in Oslo and distributed from there.
Nr. 6/1945 was produced, atleast the swedish edition, but never distributed. I have not heard about or seen
any Norwegian or Danish issues of nr. 6/1945 or any other at all for that matter.

The distribution-list of nr. 6/1945 was to be:
Bohemia-Moravia, Denmark, Slovakia, Spain, Hungary, Holland, Norway, Croatia, Portugal, Sweden, Schweiz &
something that looks like "Kenraalikuvern......" (maybe for Estonia or Latvia). All this from the front cover of 6/1945.

I was probably made in late april and to be the june-issue which makes Signal a monthly magazine in 1945.

Yes, nr. 6/1945 is the last known issue. There are roumors about a 7/1945 & 8/1945 but unlikely produced as the
Berlin staff of Deutscher Verlag was evacuated in may.

A Italian collector and researcher, Stellio Millo has publisched a book called "Signal-Dossier" in 1987. Unfortunately he died last year
and the book is very rare and only in italian I think. This book should cover more about the making and makers of Signal.

More about all this can be found on Carlos Diez very good website http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/Embassy/2517/
He is also know far more about this the me. I have contact with him and he is also very helpful.
Or on this also very good one: http://www.chez.com/luftwaffe2/index.htm

/Thomas

TePe

Signal 6/1945

Post by TePe » 15 Apr 2005 11:40

Hi again everybody!

Have to correct myselt on the above after consulting a researcher with more knowledge then me.

The 6/1945 was intended to be a march or april issue which is the normal date for this number since Signal was
published twice a month. The reason why it never was distributed depends surely on the axis setbacks in the war.
This does not imply, however, that it have been sent to Sweden at such an 'early' date. It could have been during March,
April, or even May. We simply don't know.

The printing of the magazine was also made before the staff of Deutsche Verlag was evacuated in april 1945 so it is also
possible that it was printed in Berlin instead of Oslo.

Many thanks to Alexander Zöller for this information!
I also recommend his excellent site about Signal which I am ashamed to tell that I forgot to post the last time.
You can find it here: http://uw3.de/signal.htm

Cheers
Thomas

JLEES

Der Panzerbär

Post by JLEES » 15 Apr 2005 18:45

Does anyone who published the Der Panzerbär? Is there publishing information on any of the Panzerbär papers?
James

TePe

Der Panzerbär

Post by TePe » 15 Apr 2005 22:14

James,

I think it was Deutscher Verlag who published Der Panzerbär as well as Signal, Deutsche Allgemeine Zeitung and Das Reich.

Have not seen any publishing information on Der Panzerbär but I havent seen that many....

Cheers
Thomas

JLEES

Der Panzerbär

Post by JLEES » 16 Apr 2005 11:12

Someone told me it was published by the Propaganda Ministry directly in Berlin, but I too have not seen a copy of the paper to verify it.
James

TePe

Der Panzerbär

Post by TePe » 16 Apr 2005 12:17

James,

What I understand Deutscher Verlag was former Ullstein Verlag owned by the Ullstein family. The had to separate from their company in 1930´s and it was overtook by the Nazi-regime who then formed Deutscher Verlag from it. So it was surely managed by the german propaganda ministry.

I have consulted (again) Alexander Zöllers website about Signal which have some notes about Der Panzerbär.
That several editions could no longer be composed was the result of a devastating bombing raid on Berlin which had laid waste to the Kochstrasse earlier in February. The raid on the morning of February 3, 1945 leveled most of the Deutscher Verlag's building complex, forcing all publishers in the 'newspaper district' of Berlin to relocate their activity to Tempelhof.

They later returned to the Kochstrasse though: during the Russian assault, Berlin's final wartime newspaper, the Panzerbär (left), was printed in the desolate ruins of the Deutscher Verlag.
You can find it here: http://uw3.de/documents_dv_memo.htm

Cheers
Thomas

JLEES

Panzerbär

Post by JLEES » 16 Apr 2005 14:38

Thomas,
Thanks! This does answer much about the paper's publication. The Deutscher Verlag also published large numbers of German propaganda postcards during the Third Reich. I remember seeing this publication firm's name on their back side several times in the past. Now I'll have to look at everything when there's time to see what they printed. Meanwhile, the study of the Nazi publishing houses is one area of the Third Reich that is often overlooked. Without the publishers, like Deutscher Verlag for example, much of the propaganda material could not have been printed.
James

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”