Any truth to this?

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Caldric

Any truth to this?

Post by Caldric » 28 Mar 2002 10:51

Is it true that Hitler sued an American company for making pamplet copies of his book Mien Kampf, and distributing them in the US? From what I heard he won to, and rightly so, but just curious.

Scott Smith

Re: Any truth to this?

Post by Scott Smith » 28 Mar 2002 11:27

Caldric wrote:Is it true that Hitler sued an American company for making pamplet copies of his book Mien Kampf, and distributing them in the US? From what I heard he won to, and rightly so, but just curious.

Yes, it was the late Senator Alan Cranston (D-CA), also a 1984 Presidential candidate and nuclear disarmament guru. He had taken Hitler's words out of context but I can't remember the details right now.
8O

Christian Ankerstjerne
Forum Staff

Post by Christian Ankerstjerne » 28 Mar 2002 15:16

I wouldn't trust a politician that looked like that - not that I would trust a politician...

FP

Dan
Financial supporter

Post by Dan » 28 Mar 2002 15:35

Off topic. He was bad even by California standards. He wasn't very popular, but won his last election by having an Israeli millionaire front a fake conservative party which drew away enough conservative votes from the popular moderate candidate to win the election with under 50%.

Dan

Thorfinn
Banned

Post by Thorfinn » 28 Mar 2002 17:15

Besides breaking the law by publishing Hitler's work, he mistranslated the book. It was a purposeful mistranslation to make the Germans look "evil" to the American public. In particular, parts about jews were changed around to make them seem more harsh, unfounded, ect.

MadJim

The Book

Post by MadJim » 29 Mar 2002 12:58

I understand that the translation by Ralph Manheim is the most accurrate, but it has "hostile " subtitles.

I thought I read somewhere that all profits from Third Reich intelectual property was signed over by the West Germans to some Jewish group?

Scotia

Post by Scotia » 17 Jan 2004 00:11

Even though it was Mein Kampf it should have been translated correctly and not changed. A biased book rewritten by another biased author is just bad History :cry:

nondescript handle
Financial supporter

Re: The Book

Post by nondescript handle » 17 Jan 2004 01:37

MadJim wrote:[...] I thought I read somewhere that all profits from Third Reich intelectual property was signed over by the West Germans to some Jewish group?
No, the state of Bavaria holds the rights on all intellectual (and other) property of A. Hitler.
That includes the copyright of "Mein Kampf" pretty everywere, exept the US and the UK were the rights were sold before 1945.
Bavarias government grants publication rights only in academic writings, neo-nazis get sued by the state of Bavaria...

Maybe you mixed that up with the first world war, when the intellectual property of German companys were seized as 'reperations' in the treaty of Versailles.

Regards
Mark

MadJim

hmm

Post by MadJim » 01 Mar 2004 01:39

Respectfully, I question the accuracy of this. I know I read something about it in the US Press. The controversy dealt with distribution of films like "Jude Suess", Kolberg and a documentary that dealt with Jews in the Warsaw Ghetto. A Jewish person that was quoted described the Warsaw film as a "snuff film".

Perhaps the World Jewish Congress gets the check?

nondescript handle
Financial supporter

Post by nondescript handle » 01 Mar 2004 09:20

@MadJim: I've said nothing about the property rights of movies like "Jude Süss", because I know neighter who had owned the rights back then nor who owns them now.

But all personal property of A. Hitler (including the rights on "Mein Kampf", a bank account worth 91698.77 DM and the house at Prinzregentenplatz 16, Munich) were given to the State Bavaria in a verdict of a Munich court October 15, 1948.

Copyrights that wasen't Hilers property in 1948 (copyrights of "Mein Kampf" in the UK and USA for example) are naturally not property of the State Bavaria. In some countries the copyright has become void 50 years after the death of the author, but in the EU that threshold are 70 years (2015).

So your term "Third Reich intellectual property" doesn't cover A. Hitlers personal property. What does it cover? Only state owned intellectual property? Who had owned the copyrights of "Jud Süss" in which nation, and how was it confiscated?

Regards
Mark

MadJim

property, property everywhere and who gets the profit?

Post by MadJim » 01 Mar 2004 21:49

Who confiscated what when? I don't know. I know for example large amounts of nationalistic/NSDAP style art was confiscated in 1945 and is still in storage in here. Though much of it has artistic merit, because it is "tainted" by Nazism no one is supposed to see it. I can't recall the West German/German Government ever complaining that they want it back.

I consider art, literature and media all to be intelectual property. Who owns the rights to "Deutschland Erwache" and Rosenberg's "Myth of the 20th Century". I don't know. The film made in Warsaw was called "Der Ewige Jude".

The Bavarian Government may technically have gained control of Mr Hitler's assets but I am willing to bet that all profits gained from them are turned over to a 3rd part as quick as they come in.

This article I read in the newspaper stated that the profits or rights (I cant remember the wording) were handed over to - I think the world Jewish Congress who subsequently leased them (?) - the article dealt with the complaint that white supremicist/anti semitic groups were distributing these films as propaganda - and the person quoted - from I believe the Anti-Defamtion League - was whinining about it.

Sincerely,
Jim

waffen

unseen nazi past art etc

Post by waffen » 29 Mar 2004 00:57

:D some members here gave some great links and personal opinions of some areas of the reich long lost or still hidden from public use. thanks.

UberQuagmire

Post by UberQuagmire » 30 Mar 2004 20:53

eh what do you expect that guy was a Democrat/liberal. :roll:

maxxx

Post by maxxx » 29 Apr 2004 20:59

talking about hitler´s personal income: Did you know he got money for his portrait on german stamps?

I don´t think there are any recent royalties out of "Mein Kampf" .The State of Bavaria does not allow any reprint. German and Austrian law will prosecute everyone (exept partially for scientific research) how tries to do so. What a strange (and even a little dubious) idea to believe that Jewish Organisations profit from hitlers copyrights...

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”