The Nazi War Gang - Groupphoto at "Ashcan"

Discussions on all aspects of the NSDAP, the other party organizations and the government. Hosted by Michael Miller & Igor Karpov.
Potsdamerplatz

Post by Potsdamerplatz » 08 Aug 2006, 21:45

Max Williams wrote:One that never gets identified is number 39. It is Ernst John von Freyend, the adjutant of GFM Keitel.
Max.
Max,

Is this the officer who was slightly suspicious of Colonel Claus von Stauffenberg on the day of the July 20th bomb plot?

Best regards,

Hexar

Post by Hexar » 09 Aug 2006, 04:11

I'd like to know how the Allies managed to round all these men up?

On this forum we study pics, and it shows the difficulty identifying someone from a pic. How did some GI at a checkpoint know who they were? Did they carry photos of the wanted Nazis for reference?

Or, were there other high ranking Nazis that pointed out their fellows?

Did the civilians in Germany and the overrun countries turn them in?

How many of them turned themselves in, perhaps fearing reprisals like Il Duce received?

Europe is a large area, and many of these men had sympathizers spread far and wide. I would think help in hiding them would be easy to find. It seems that a percentage of them could have successfully "disappeared". Hexar

Max Williams

Post by Max Williams » 10 Aug 2006, 11:05

Potsdamerplatz wrote:
Max Williams wrote:One that never gets identified is number 39. It is Ernst John von Freyend, the adjutant of GFM Keitel.
Max.
Max,

Is this the officer who was slightly suspicious of Colonel Claus von Stauffenberg on the day of the July 20th bomb plot?

Best regards,
von Freyend was present in the conference room when the bomb exploded. In fact he was standing almost opposite Hitler across the map table. Surprisingly, his injuries were minor (I think just perforated eardrums). As to his suspicions, are you referring to before the detonation or immediately after?
Max.

mulisch

Post by mulisch » 11 Aug 2006, 12:56

Hello Michael,

I' am not sure but i don't think that number #43 is Dr. jur. Hans Frank, this man seems to be completly bold with a little hair on the back and Hans Frank had as far as i can remember still some hair on the "top" of his head.

Kind regards,

Mulisch

Potsdamerplatz

Post by Potsdamerplatz » 19 Jan 2008, 03:47

Max Williams wrote:
Potsdamerplatz wrote:
Max.
Max,

Best regards,
von Freyend was present in the conference room when the bomb exploded. In fact he was standing almost opposite Hitler across the map table. Surprisingly, his injuries were minor (I think just perforated eardrums). As to his suspicions, are you referring to before the detonation or immediately after?
Max.
Just came across this old thread again and am updating some information.

Yes, indeed von Freyend was suspicious of Stauffenberg both before and after the explosion.

When Stauffenberg arrived at Rastenburg he reported to Keitel's quarters where he learned that the daily conference had been brought forward because of Mussolini's impending visit later that afternoon. All 3 men were present in Keitel's quarters during this short discussion.

Keitel realised they would miss the start of the conference and urged Stauffenberg to hurry along in sorting out his report. They all left Keitel's hut to head towards the conference barracks.

Stauffenberg excused himself. He had left his hat back in Keitel's office. He returned alone and this gave him the opportunity to set the detonator. After a minute or so Keitel sent his adjutant back in after Stauffenberg to find out what was taking him so long. von Freyend entered the office just as Stauffenberg was closing his briefcase. He later said that "something just didn't seem right" with the one-eyed Colonel who was sweating and nervous but he didn't raise his suspicions to Keitel.

After the detonation it was von Freyend who first cast suspicion on Stauffenberg. He had seen him make his excuse to leave the conference room and found this all very strange, especially coupled with his earlier behaviour back at Keitel's hut.

All the above is included in greater detail in several books including "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich" by William Shirer.

To clear up a little mystery - I recently discovered from Bloch's biography of Ribbentrop that ASHCAN stood for Allied Supreme Headquaters for Captured Axis Nationals.

It was also unofficially known as "Trashcan" and "Dustbin" by those soldiers who served there as all the rotten eggs were put in one basket. :D :wink:

Kind regards.

Halfdan S.

Post by Halfdan S. » 19 Jan 2008, 13:29

One correction, its Lutz (short for Ludwig) Schwerin von Krosigk, not Leitz Schwerin von Krosick

And I agree with Philipp that No. 23 is not Karl Dönitz!

Halfdan S.

dwicky

Re: The Nazi War Gang - Groupphoto at "Trashcan"

Post by dwicky » 07 Jun 2011, 00:15

#42 is Walter Warlimont.

Helly Angel

Post by Helly Angel » 18 Apr 2017, 23:29

I bought the magazine in Ebay.
Attachments
Prom 1945b.jpg

Max Williams

Post by Max Williams » 19 Apr 2017, 17:01

There are mistakes in this key. For example, Brandt is shown behind Bohle when it's clearly not him. He is one of the "unidentified" (directly behind Frick).
Max.

Max Williams

Post by Max Williams » 28 Apr 2017, 12:10

Great photo of "Ashcan" the former Palace Hotel at Mondorf Les Bains. Sadly, demolished in 1988.
http://emuselensia.tumblr.com/page/5
Max.
Attachments
Ashcan Mondorf Les Bains.jpg

Ian Sayer

Re: The Nazi War Gang - Groupphoto at "Ashcan"

Post by Ian Sayer » 01 May 2017, 16:59

Here are some better copies and another list
Attachments
ASHCAN 1-30.jpg
Ashcan 2 -30.jpg
Ashcan 3 -30.jpg

Ian Sayer

Post by Ian Sayer » 01 May 2017, 17:00

And another group from Ashcan
Attachments
Ashcan 4 -30.jpg

Halfdan S.

Post by Halfdan S. » 01 May 2017, 17:55

First row left to right looks like Horthy and von Papen - Papen sporting another Pair of Shorts …
von-papen-pow-1945.jpg
Best
Halfdan S.

Return to “NSDAP, other party organizations & Government”