Göring if he had been leader?

Discussions on all aspects of the NSDAP, the other party organizations and the government. Hosted by Michael Miller & Igor Karpov.
Princess Perfume

Göring if he had been leader?

Postby Princess Perfume » 10 Feb 2018 11:24

My assessment of Göring is that he rather missed his vocation. But for the accident of being born a German, he would have made a typical South American dictator - strutting around in gaudy uniforms, weighed down with so many medals that he can hardly stand up straight, and living in luxury on ill-gotten gains - but not all that interested in actually _fighting_ anyone. Recall Julius Caesar's remark about men who are fat. It's the _austere_ dictators that you really have to worry about. Göring, I suspect, would have been looking to wallow in luxury and admire his stolen artworks - not to conquer the world.

alanlee

Re: Göring if he had been leader?

Postby alanlee » 12 Feb 2018 06:11

Agree, a lot of film have seen that he insisted the peace is solution except the war. I believed that he will bring the truly beautiful live hood to German people.

Sheldrake

Postby Sheldrake » 12 Feb 2018 11:17

Hmm Göring for Führer. A third world Kleptocrat dictator. Fast forward to post colonial Africa or the post cold war Soviet Union....

ostland

Postby ostland » 13 Feb 2018 07:03

I love how bored and out-of-place he looks in multiple Triumph des Willens-shots. Gives you an insight!
"Merken Sie sich eins; bei uns zu Haus' sind nur die Mannschaften Ostmärker. Die Herren Offiziere sind Österreicher! Servus Doktorchen!"

sons of anzac

Postby sons of anzac » 19 Feb 2018 14:12

Interesting thought- late 30's Hitler dies or is otherwise taken out of leadership- Göring is the heir apparent. I agree he was an autocrat and a militarist enjoying all the trappings of power and having little to no time for debate or opposition however I dont think he suffers from the same level of hatred of the Jews and seems to have a greater respect for the status quo with other nations. It would be interesting to see his broader views of things. Wonder if there is a good book on Göring?

J. Duncan

Postby J. Duncan » 20 Feb 2018 23:51

2 books I would recommend: "The Reichsmarshall" by Leonard Mosley and "Hermann Göring and the Third Reich" by Charles Bewley.
Mosley's book is the most human portrait of Göring out there. Bewley raises some good points in Göring's defense while not excusing his excesses. Göring was a larger than life character, extremely intelligent, albeit corrupted by pomp and power. Mosley suspects that had Göring not invested in Nazism, he would have been the head of a big corporation, enjoying his wealth, (or perhaps like one of those big city bosses so common in 1930's America such as Chicago). One way or another, he would have been a big man at something.

Arto O

Postby Arto O » 23 Feb 2018 06:14

Interesting question,
but I would say that Ernst Röhm had not aloud this to happen, if the time was before the "night of the long knives".
cheers
Arto

Return to “NSDAP, other party organizations & Government”