Göring if he had been leader?

Discussions on all aspects of the NSDAP, the other party organizations and the government. Hosted by Michael Miller & Igor Karpov.
Princess Perfume

Göring if he had been leader?

Post by Princess Perfume » 10 Feb 2018, 12:24

My assessment of Göring is that he rather missed his vocation. But for the accident of being born a German, he would have made a typical South American dictator - strutting around in gaudy uniforms, weighed down with so many medals that he can hardly stand up straight, and living in luxury on ill-gotten gains - but not all that interested in actually _fighting_ anyone. Recall Julius Caesar's remark about men who are fat. It's the _austere_ dictators that you really have to worry about. Göring, I suspect, would have been looking to wallow in luxury and admire his stolen artworks - not to conquer the world.

alanlee

Re: Göring if he had been leader?

Post by alanlee » 12 Feb 2018, 07:11

Agree, a lot of film have seen that he insisted the peace is solution except the war. I believed that he will bring the truly beautiful live hood to German people.

Sheldrake

Post by Sheldrake » 12 Feb 2018, 12:17

Hmm Göring for Führer. A third world Kleptocrat dictator. Fast forward to post colonial Africa or the post cold war Soviet Union....

ostland

Post by ostland » 13 Feb 2018, 08:03

I love how bored and out-of-place he looks in multiple Triumph des Willens-shots. Gives you an insight!
"Merken Sie sich eins; bei uns zu Haus' sind nur die Mannschaften Ostmärker. Die Herren Offiziere sind Österreicher! Servus Doktorchen!"

sons of anzac

Post by sons of anzac » 19 Feb 2018, 15:12

Interesting thought- late 30's Hitler dies or is otherwise taken out of leadership- Göring is the heir apparent. I agree he was an autocrat and a militarist enjoying all the trappings of power and having little to no time for debate or opposition however I dont think he suffers from the same level of hatred of the Jews and seems to have a greater respect for the status quo with other nations. It would be interesting to see his broader views of things. Wonder if there is a good book on Göring?

J. Duncan

Post by J. Duncan » 21 Feb 2018, 00:51

2 books I would recommend: "The Reichsmarshall" by Leonard Mosley and "Hermann Göring and the Third Reich" by Charles Bewley.
Mosley's book is the most human portrait of Göring out there. Bewley raises some good points in Göring's defense while not excusing his excesses. Göring was a larger than life character, extremely intelligent, albeit corrupted by pomp and power. Mosley suspects that had Göring not invested in Nazism, he would have been the head of a big corporation, enjoying his wealth, (or perhaps like one of those big city bosses so common in 1930's America such as Chicago). One way or another, he would have been a big man at something.

Arto O

Post by Arto O » 23 Feb 2018, 07:14

Interesting question,
but I would say that Ernst Röhm had not aloud this to happen, if the time was before the "night of the long knives".
cheers
Arto

Georges JEROME
Financial supporter

Post by Georges JEROME » 01 Mar 2018, 12:56

Hermann Göring (for me) is prior of all an organisator. He conducted Parliament. He led the greatest Land of III. Reich (Prussia), he had a control on economic affairs through planification. He tried to preserve the state over capitalist appetites in occupied countries : in annexed lorraine he refused that german industrials bought like in Poland the steal industries and delegate them just the administration. He fired Röchling from Lorraine (wiht a promotion) because of his policy.
Best regards

Georges

Max Williams

Post by Max Williams » 02 Mar 2018, 03:19

Göring was by far the most intelligent of the senior Nazis. At Nuremberg he ran rings around the prosecution, in particular the US prosecutor. Certainly a man who missed his true vocation.
Max.

Princess Perfume

Post by Princess Perfume » 01 Aug 2020, 10:52

Also Interesting to think what his post-release life would have been like had he been sentenced to prison rather than execution. Imagine Goering on American or British talk shows in the 1960s and 70s?

Wordsworth

Post by Wordsworth » 11 Sep 2020, 14:17

Princess Perfume wrote:
01 Aug 2020, 10:52
Also Interesting to think what his post-release life would have been like had he been sentenced to prison rather than execution. Imagine Goering on American or British talk shows in the 1960s and 70s?
I can just see Goering doing the Albert Speer talk show circuit!

I agree wholeheartedly that Georing was invested in 1) himself and 2) Germany. Hitler was a means to an end, but it would seem he disagreed with the Fuehrer on many fundamental things, such as the war itself and the treatment of the Jews. I've never gotten the idea that his devotion to Hitler was all that fanatical. It was to his detriment that he went along with it. If he'd fallen out of favor sooner, like Rudolf Hess, his fate might have been different.

Princess Perfume

Post by Princess Perfume » 13 Sep 2020, 06:16

I agree.
Like i said, Goering's personality and interests mirror that of a Latin American Caudillo and he missed his calling by being born in Germany.

VanillaNuns

Post by VanillaNuns » 13 Sep 2020, 06:55

The Blaine Taylor series of biographies on Goering from Fonthill Media are highly recommended and affordable. And we are only at 1939 so quite a way to go... 8O

https://www.fonthill.media/collections/blaine-taylor

Don't be put off by the "personal photograph albums" subheading. The images are only part of the book.

Br. James

Post by Br. James » 13 Sep 2020, 17:38

"If he'd fallen out of favor sooner, like Rudolf Hess, his fate might have been different."

Wordsworth makes an interesting observation, though Göring had plenty of opportunities to 'fall out of favor' with his Führer, from the intended invasion of England onward, and yet Hitler did not sack his Reichsmarschall as he did many another military commander throughout that whole period. Of course, Hess' falling out of favor did not cost him his job as Deputy Führer or his social position; it just demonstrated that Hitler became more interested in 'world events' than in domestic politics -- which is what Hess had hoped to regain by succeeding to negotiate a favorable peace with England.

Br. James

Biber

Post by Biber » 15 Sep 2020, 14:58

Is it correct to suggest that HG's relationship to the part may have waned by the beginning of the war? Interesting that there doesn't seem to be all that many photos of him wearing a party badge.

Return to “NSDAP, other party organizations & Government”