Were there non-German members of the NSDAP?

Discussions on all aspects of the NSDAP, the other party organizations and the government. Hosted by Michael Miller & Igor Karpov.
Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 12 Jun 2021, 08:20

Did the NSDAP extend membership to "Germanic" people?

Did it even to "non-Germanic".

If so, who were they?

Cheers,

Sid.

Peter89

Re: Were there non-German members of the NSDAP?

Post by Peter89 » 12 Jun 2021, 09:37

Sid Guttridge wrote:
12 Jun 2021, 08:20

Did the NSDAP extend membership to "Germanic" people?

Did it even to "non-Germanic".

If so, who were they?

Cheers,

Sid.
Hello Sid,

a number of the Hungarian and Croatian minorities in Burgenland joined the NSDAP.

http://www3.umiz.at/de/datenbanken/ddb/ ... lomban.pdf
"Everything remained theory and hypothesis. On paper, in his plans, in his head, he juggled with Geschwaders and Divisions, while in reality there were really only makeshift squadrons at his disposal."

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 12 Jun 2021, 09:54

Hi Peter89,

Alas I do not read Hungarian and I can't recover the text sufficiently to get anything useful out of Googletranslate.

Did they have to go through a test, like Volksdeutshe in western Poland, to see if they were sufficiently ethnically "Germanic" in Nazi eyes?

Were they regarded as ethnically alien or as "recoverable" "Germanic" stock?

Cheers,

Sid.

Peter89

Post by Peter89 » 12 Jun 2021, 11:24

Sid Guttridge wrote:
12 Jun 2021, 09:54
Hi Peter89,

Alas I do not read Hungarian and I can't recover the text sufficiently to get anything useful out of Googletranslate.

Did they have to go through a test, like Volksdeutshe in western Poland, to see if they were sufficiently ethnically "Germanic" in Nazi eyes?

Were they regarded as ethnically alien or as "recoverable" "Germanic" stock?

Cheers,

Sid.
No, but there were problems with ethnic Hungarians in the local NSDAPs. When the central NSDAP from Germany demanded the expulsion of non-Germans from the NSDAP, the gauleiter of Oberwart declined and replied that he cannot do that, because everyone in the party is Hungarian.

Soon after the German intentions became clear, the local Hungarians formed a resistance, including from former NSDAP members.

I don't know much about the German view on the local Hungarians, only that they were ethnically oppressed.
"Everything remained theory and hypothesis. On paper, in his plans, in his head, he juggled with Geschwaders and Divisions, while in reality there were really only makeshift squadrons at his disposal."

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 23 Jun 2021, 10:08

Out of less that 180 NSDAP members in Australia identified by Military Police Intelligence in 1940, only a handful was born here.
Majority was born in Germany.

Return to “NSDAP, other party organizations & Government”