Did the third reich copy italian fascist uniform designs?

Discussions on all aspects of the NSDAP, the other party organizations and the government. Hosted by Michael Miller & Igor Karpov.
Garuda

Did the third reich copy italian fascist uniform designs?

Post by Garuda » 02 Jul 2006, 10:36

While there are thousands of picture of Nazi uniforms,there are very rare pictrues of what the Italian fascists wore.
But when I do find such pictures of Italian WWII uniform,I kind of find that they look similar to Nazi uniforms. But that's only my opinion.

http://www.germaniainternational.com/im ... book05.jpg
Although there is a swastika flag in the background,there are also two italian flags.Plus,this picture was stated to be taken in Italy so the swastika flag is reaised next to the the Italian flag to display the Axis alliance. Thereofore the location of this picture is Italy.

Since Mussolini was the one started a fascist government long before Hitler, I guess the Nazis(or Hugo Boss specifically) made SS uniforms that were influenced by Italian desgn.

In the link above,it seems that the Italian uniform they are wearing has some similarities;very dark colour(could be black),the strap from shoulder to belt,the tight waist belt,the shirt not passing the waist level and high boots.So my question is, did the third reich copy italian fascist uniform designs?

PS:Hugo Boss was the designer of Nazi uniform.In case some might not know. :)

Marcus

Re: Did the third reich copy italian fascist uniform designs

Post by Marcus » 02 Jul 2006, 10:39

Garuda wrote:PS:Hugo Boss was the designer of Nazi uniform.In case some might not know. :)
No but his company was one of the manufacturers.

/Marcus

maxxx

Post by maxxx » 02 Jul 2006, 10:55

The italian fascists had fanciful uniforms while hitler still had to make it with his old lederhose!

:P

Of course he was impressed by the updressed appearance of italian fascism. As the black shirts where already occupied by the italians, the blue shirts by the communists he had to invent his "brown shirts"...

And about Hugo Boss: make a quick forum sear ch to learn about his rather marginal contribution to nazis uniforms.

Garuda

Post by Garuda » 02 Jul 2006, 16:19

maxxx wrote:The italian fascists had fanciful uniforms while hitler still had to make it with his old lederhose!
Of course he was impressed by the updressed appearance of italian fascism.
I once saw a tv series that was supposed to be set in Italy during 2000. One policeman was wearing a black uniform with padded-like material as well as the two long collars similar to the fascist style. Didn't the allies enact bans on such uniforms during the late 40s? :D

gencom

Post by gencom » 02 Jul 2006, 17:04

Well, it's not easy to know if the unifiorms of the Third Reich was influenced or not by the Italian Fascists uniforms but for sure, the Italians were influenced by the Nazis for the release of their last uniforms regulation (of course before the RSI) with the black Sahariana and the large visor caps with piping.
This was the result of the fascination of Mussolini for the Third reich after his famous visit in Germany.
GenCom

Johan Björklund

Post by Johan Björklund » 15 Jul 2006, 11:36

The uniforms used by the SA were army surplus from ww1. The SS used uniforms reminding
of the napoleonic wars deathhead hussars(black shakos with skull and bones up front).

Furthermore it seems like the general opinion is that the nazis invented wearing uniforms
while it was in fact in common use by the communist, socialdemocrats and many more
during the 1920s and 30s.

So the nazis did hardly copy the fascists in Italy uniformwise, but were probably encouraged
by Mussolinis march to Rome when they attempted the putsch in Munich.

Return to “NSDAP, other party organizations & Government”