Was Adolf Hitler known to curse or use profane language?

Discussions on all aspects of the NSDAP, the other party organizations and the government. Hosted by Michael Miller & Igor Karpov.
WW2 Historian

Was Adolf Hitler known to curse or use profane language?

Post by WW2 Historian » 10 Aug 2006, 04:31

are there any known transcripts or quotations where Hitler is using profanity?

any examples would be appreciated..

Mimi

Profanities at the Hitler's Court

Post by Mimi » 14 Aug 2006, 00:49

According to Ernst Hanfstangel, Hitler foreign press secretary, who knew him well and was close to him, Hitler did not use profanities or was not a curser. However his grammar was poor and his vocabulary limited as he was a school dropout and had little education. But basically Hitler was polite and demure in his use of language. Read "Hitler, the forgotten years by Hanfstangel", a very interesting book mostly neglected by historians, notably by Willian Shirer who said once he was a crank. Hanfstangel was actually a very brilliant mind, a man extremely educated (Harvard) and cultivated but he has the reputation to be a court jester which by some extent he was in as much he tried to introduce some sense of humour and proportions in Hitler's Court of assholes, psychopaths and sycophants. His book is good reading with a lot of inside views on Hitler's entourage.

Potsdamerplatz

Post by Potsdamerplatz » 14 Aug 2006, 00:59

However his grammar was poor and his vocabulary limited
I would have to disagree with this statement.

Although Hitler only had a basic education, his grammar, vocabulary and sentence structure was at least up to university standard. His lower-class background though would often shine through and perhaps this is why many people have the popular misconception that Hitler had poor grammer and vocabulary.

Best regards,

Roderick

Re: Was Adolf known to curse or use profane language?

Post by Roderick » 14 Aug 2006, 02:35

RoStro wrote:are there any known transcripts or quotations where Hitler is using profanity?
any examples would be appreciated..
Not Adolf Hitler but...

The Master on this subject was Julius Streicher.

Mimi

Post by Mimi » 15 Aug 2006, 04:36

would have to disagree with this statement.

Although Hitler only had a basic education, his grammar, vocabulary and sentence structure was at least up to university standard.
I would have to disagree too with that statement. People who read the first draft of Mein Kampf were amazed by the poverty and misuse of the syntax, the grammar and the vocabulray found in this work. Even after its editing by Jesuit Father Stampfle and other more educated people, some German journalist ironized that this pamphlet should be entitled "Mein Kampf against German language."

Grimgerde

Post by Grimgerde » 07 Sep 2006, 06:39

...of course, Mein Kampf was dictated by Adolf Hitler, not written. Therefore grammatical errors and the like should be subjected to scrutiny before being attributed to him...

Matt

Post by Matt » 09 Sep 2006, 05:05

I am not a German speaker, so I cannot comment on his grammar however to become leader of Germany I would think his grammar would have to be above 'poor' and hsi vocabulary above 'limited'.
I understand that his speaking style was almost hypnotic, but this alone could not have got him into the position of Fuhrer.

Regards
Matt

Helly Angel

Post by Helly Angel » 09 Sep 2006, 06:07

Matt wrote:I am not a German speaker, so I cannot comment on his grammar however to become leader of Germany I would think his grammar would have to be above 'poor' and hsi vocabulary above 'limited'.
I understand that his speaking style was almost hypnotic, but this alone could not have got him into the position of Fuhrer.

Regards
Matt
Hitler was not "leader" of Germany.

He was named Reichkanzler by a decree of Hindenburg pressed by the intrigues of von Papen. After that he become in Dictator of Germany, there are diferent terms.

Hitler never won a election to be leader of Germany, it was a coyuntural situation.

Matt

Post by Matt » 09 Sep 2006, 06:30

Helly Angel wrote:
Matt wrote:I am not a German speaker, so I cannot comment on his grammar however to become leader of Germany I would think his grammar would have to be above 'poor' and hsi vocabulary above 'limited'.

Regards
Matt

He was named Reichkanzler by a decree of Hindenburg pressed by the intrigues of von Papen. After that he become in Dictator of Germany, there are diferent terms.

Hitler never won a election to be leader of Germany, it was a coyuntural situation.
-are you serious?
just because he was not elected does not mean he was not the leader.

Directory > Words > Dictionary > führer
füh·rer also fueh·rer (fy?r'?r)
n.
A leader, especially one exercising the powers of a tyrant.

[German, from Middle High German vüerer, from vüeren, to lead, from Old High German fuoren.]

Grimgerde

Post by Grimgerde » 04 Oct 2006, 04:01

Hmm. Surprised that the recording of Hitler's conversation with Mannerheim wasn't mentioned. A translated transcript can be found here:

http://www.wargamer.com/articles/bdvisit2.asp

Apparently it is the only instance of Hitler being recorded during a casual conversation. Can't say I am impressed with Hitler's speech, but of course this could merely be an isolated example and not how Hitler normally spoke.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the passing of the Enabling Act of 1933 which gave Hitler legislative powers seperate from the Reichstag effectively made Hitler the leader of Germany.

Helly Angel

Post by Helly Angel » 04 Oct 2006, 06:25

Grimgerde wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the passing of the Enabling Act of 1933 which gave Hitler legislative powers seperate from the Reichstag effectively made Hitler the leader of Germany.
Yes, you are wrong. The decree of 1933 was an intrigue of the nazis and Hitler used their "powers" to stablish a dictatorship in the country. The disidents were sent to Dachau, Oranienburg, Sachsenhausen, Buchenwald, etc and the Columbiahaus of course. The SA and SS were named by decree auxiliars of the police and they used the terror against the people who were in disagree. He was not a leader , he was a dictator. He had the obligation accord the Law of Weimar to call for free elections 30 days after the permanent absent of the President (Hindenburg) instead of that he made a ilegal referendum to be or not to be the "Führer" of Germany. Since this point of no return that was ilegal since the broke the constitution he lost his legality.

Sorry for my english

Helly
(Lawyer)

Persian Knight

Post by Persian Knight » 09 Oct 2006, 07:23

There may be disagreements in semantics over what constitutes a "legal" leader of a nation and some may choose to call one a leader a person who is elected through popular, democratic means. May I remind you all however that most "leaders" throughout the world, even today, are not elected through the democratic process? That includes pratically the entire mohammedan world, as well as many nations in Africa and Latin America.
For all practical purposes, Hitler WAS leader of Germany, never mind the 600,000 or so Germans of all denominations and political ideologies exterminated for their disagreement over these semantics.

ohrdruf

Post by ohrdruf » 12 Oct 2006, 15:10

As regards the original question regarding bad language, I have come across one item in which Hitler is recorded as having said at a situation conference, "das ist mir scheissegal" - "I don't give a shit". I will quote source if that is required.

kraft durch freude

Post by kraft durch freude » 14 Oct 2006, 23:10

Hitler's Court of assholes, psychopaths and sycophants
Mimi, once again, what is this based on???

This court of assholes is actually only your own narrow opinion. The people helped him shape the most perfect totalitarian regime in the world, besides the roman empire.

Why don't you just get out of here, anyways, everything you say is based on haefstengeal's book.

Bomar

Court of assh..

Post by Bomar » 13 Feb 2007, 06:08

This court of assholes is actually only your own narrow opinion. The people helped him shape the most perfect totalitarian regime in the world, besides the roman empire.
Looks like you could be one of those actually !! Head of assholes maybe or Fuehrer des sycophants ! Looks like you should leave this forum, your place is obiously at http://p102.ezboard.com/brodohforum, not here

Return to “NSDAP, other party organizations & Government”