Reichskolonialbund

Discussions on all aspects of the NSDAP, the other party organizations and the government. Hosted by Michael Miller & Igor Karpov.
Phil D.

Reichskolonialbund

Post by Phil D. » 16 Dec 2002, 01:01

Does anyone know exactly what the Reich Colonial League was?. According to the Flags of the World Website, it was meant to get the former German Colonies back. They have an article at http://www.fotw.ca/flags/de}rkb.html . What were the plans for the colonies once the Germans would get them back, if at all. Thanks for any info in advance.

Phil

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 16 Dec 2002, 17:52

Here is a propaganda poster on that topic:

/Marcus

Matt Gibbs

Hmm

Post by Matt Gibbs » 17 Dec 2002, 00:01

Do you mean the KolonialBund..?
I think I have a membership card from them in my collection somewhere, I will haev a look..
Regards

Matt Gibbs

Zachary

Post by Zachary » 17 Dec 2002, 01:22

That's interesting. I always liked those areas in history. But the Nazi Party was never intersted in getting those areas back were they? I know Hitler once said "Russia will be our India". Still, I'm guessing that if they won they would have gotten those areas back, or maybe put them under puppet states. Just a guess.....
Regards,
Zachary

FL Jim

Post by FL Jim » 17 Dec 2002, 05:21

I seem to recall seeing a picture in a book somewhere of a man of African origin selling bananas on a Berlin street corner with a poster behind him not too unlike the one Marcus posted. In the poster I saw, the swastika flag was flying from the top of Mt. Kilimanjaro and the caption said "Germany must have its colonies back." It may have been a variation on a theme or my memory may be faulty.

I also seem to recall reading somewhere that some of the SS training schools did conduct classes in Swahili for the day Germany would administer its colonies again. A question I have is---was there anyone in the former colonies who wanted the Germans back especially after Hitler had come to power?

On a side note, the West German government made some friends in Africa in the 1960s by sending some military attaches and officials down to Tanzania, etc to find African veterans of World War I and give them some money as a pension. They found elderly Africans often clutching fragments of a uniform as proof of service. For others, the military officers barked out some drill commands in German and if the African veteran knew what to do, it was also considered proof of service.

Bill Medland

Post by Bill Medland » 17 Dec 2002, 05:53

German Colonies former serviceman 1934.

I hope the pic helps, Regards,Bill.
Attachments
kolonialkriegerbund.jpg
kolonialkriegerbund.jpg (17.06 KiB) Viewed 5067 times

Petterson

Post by Petterson » 27 Nov 2004, 11:03

Look at this!

http://www.volkermord.com/gallery/displ ... &pos=-4865

There is one interesting point in a book "Operation Barbarossa" written by Alan Clark. When Adolf Hitler and some other German gererals are celebrating Franz Halder`s birthday in July 1941 (?), Hitler says: "German must have African colonies back after the war. But Togo is not important!"

Georges JEROME
Financial supporter

Post by Georges JEROME » 27 Nov 2004, 20:10

Reichskolonialbund (RKB) was created on 13.6.36 by Dr Heinrich Schnee then led by Ritter von Epp.
Purpose was to keep informed population upon the lost of the former german imperial colonies, to maintain contact with them and to create conditions in opinion favorable to a new german african empire.
RKB took over the former Deutsche Kolonialgesellschaft created in 1887).

From 1940 Schedules for colonisation of Western and Eastern Africa were set up.
OperatIon "Banane" for Western Africa headed by SS Brigadeführer Bernhard Ruberg (chief of staff Ausland Organisation)
Operation Sissa for Easter Africa headed by Reichsleiter SS Obergruppenführer Bouhler.
From 1940 a training for future policemen in Africa was organised in the italian police school of Tivoli.
By decree from 103.41 a Kolonial Polizei Schule was created at Oranienburg. An inspektion of Kolonial Polizei exist into Orpo Hauptamt.
On 15.2.43 RKB was disbanded in reason of the evolution of the war.

JG

Petterson

Post by Petterson » 07 Dec 2004, 10:05

JEROME Georges wrote:Reichskolonialbund (RKB) was created on 13.6.36 by Dr Heinrich Schnee then led by Ritter von Epp.
Purpose was to keep informed population upon the lost of the former german imperial colonies, to maintain contact with them and to create conditions in opinion favorable to a new german african empire.

OperatIon "Banane" for Western Africa headed by SS Brigadeführer Bernhard Ruberg (chief of staff Ausland Organisation)
Operation Sissa for Easter Africa headed by Reichsleiter SS Obergruppenführer Bouhler.
From 1940 a training for future policemen in Africa was organised in the italian police school of Tivoli.
By decree from 103.41 a Kolonial Polizei Schule was created at Oranienburg. An inspektion of Kolonial Polizei exist into Orpo Hauptamt.

JG
What where the plans for black people of African colonies? Slavery?

Georges JEROME
Financial supporter

Post by Georges JEROME » 07 Dec 2004, 21:43

the colonial status was a little different, the only interest was economic for raw materials usefull for autarcic policie of the Reich.
Each country including France which was present in Africa has need of local support (police, auxilliaries forces, local administration) and manpower for companies.
Each colonial country develop a proper administration of such areas (general administration, police, executive for trade and transport with trained staff).
A repressive policy create resistance which is always bad for economy (extraction, transport...).

The aims are very different from Lebensraum in East with slave state like Generalgouvernement. Or Collaboration countries with economic exploitation for the war effort of the Reich (Bohmen Mahren, France...).

JG

Petterson

Post by Petterson » 08 Dec 2004, 08:35

Maybe I did think too much a book "The Man In The High Castle" written by Philip K. Dick!

maxxx

Post by maxxx » 08 Dec 2004, 21:23

my father was actually a pro-forma member of the reichskolonialbund. He was no friend of the nazis at all and being a sudetendeutscher he had in school some fighting with loudmouthed Sudenten HJ. He was at University in prague when the nazis occuppied Chechoslovakia and was told he had to become a party member or leave university. As he didnot want to join SA, SS,NSKK or NSSB and to fool the authorities he subscribed to the Reichskolonialbund. He said he was only twice at a meeting and there was a "old general in a funny uniform talking about his good times in the colonies".

Petterson

Post by Petterson » 18 Apr 2005, 08:05

Look at this.

http://www.luft46.com/prototyp/me264.html

It seems to be that one purpose to plan this particular long range aircraft - beside of military purposes - was an aircraft which could "reach the planned German Colonial Reich in central Africa."

Central Africa? That must be Cameroon which was German colony from 1884 to 1919. Also togo, Tanganyika etc...

Phil Nix
In memoriam

Post by Phil Nix » 18 Apr 2005, 10:59

Petterson wrote:
JEROME Georges wrote:Reichskolonialbund (RKB) was created on 13.6.36 by Dr Heinrich Schnee then led by Ritter von Epp.

JG
What where the plans for black people of African colonies? Slavery?
I dont know what the plans were for the local peoples but courses were organised with the Italians to provide information to picked members of the Sipo and SD so judge for yourself
Phil Nix

Topspeed

Post by Topspeed » 18 Apr 2005, 12:11

Petterson wrote:Look at this.

http://www.luft46.com/prototyp/me264.html

It seems to be that one purpose to plan this particular long range aircraft - beside of military purposes - was an aircraft which could "reach the planned German Colonial Reich in central Africa."

Central Africa? That must be Cameroon which was German colony from 1884 to 1919. Also togo, Tanganyika etc...
Kongo was appointed to finns after WW I. Finns kindly refused. Certainly one could have easily fetched few bananas with a extra long range Me-264 from Kongo, Africa.

Return to “NSDAP, other party organizations & Government”