Hitler and Seafood

Discussions on all aspects of the NSDAP, the other party organizations and the government. Hosted by Michael Miller & Igor Karpov.
davethelight

Hitler and Seafood

Post by davethelight » 27 Dec 2002, 19:16

Did Hitler find the smell of fish offensive? I heard a storey once that once upon a time Hitler was doing a public tour somewhere and a lady had set up a fish stall close to where the Fuhrer was passing by. He supposeedly complained about this to his entourage and the poor fish merchant was duely arrested and shot. Does any one know anything about this, or have I been led astray?

A-Bomb

Post by A-Bomb » 27 Dec 2002, 19:24

Sounds like major bullshiet. But I don't know for sure.

HPL2008

Fishy!

Post by HPL2008 » 27 Dec 2002, 21:01

Never heard that one and it doesn't sound believable, either. But it does remind me of an often-heard Third Reich anecdote about the arrest of a fish-monger and I think that this story is really how the one you heard got started. There are several minor variations of it and the story is sometimes told as joke and sometimes as an allegedly true occurrence; it's probably something of a Third Reich "Urban Legend". It usually goes like this:

A fishmonger advertised her goods on the town's marketplace by shouting: "Hering! Hering! So fett wia da Göring!" [Bavarian dialect, meaning: "Herring! Herring" As fat as Göring!"] which promptly got her arrested and sent to prison. Prematurely released after one year and given a severe warning never to do it again, she took up her business again and now shouted: "Hering! Hering! So fett wia vor 'am Joahr!" [Herring! Herring! Just as fat as they were one year ago!"]

Scott Smith

Re: Hitler and Seafood

Post by Scott Smith » 28 Dec 2002, 16:03

davethelight wrote:Did Hitler find the smell of fish offensive?
Fish was often served at Hitler's table, but only to his guests. I don't recall that he ever ate it.
:)

Lars EP

Re: Hitler and Seafood

Post by Lars EP » 28 Dec 2002, 19:16

Scott Smith wrote:
davethelight wrote:Did Hitler find the smell of fish offensive?
Fish was often served at Hitler's table, but only to his guests. I don't recall that he ever ate it.
:)
If I am not mistaken, Hitler was a vegetarian. So he would eat neither fish nor meat.

Regards --- Lars

David E M

Post by David E M » 29 Dec 2002, 05:56

Sven Hassel in his true life autobiogaphy - not to be doubted :) recounts a similar story, which could be where you got it from, although I think HPL2008 has it right, I think I have heard that story before. I believe that Hitler was not a manic tee-totaller or vegetarian, apparently he had a special light beer brewed just for himself, and would on occasion eat chicken.
cheers.

Return to “NSDAP, other party organizations & Government”