Gauleiter Questions and Answers

Discussions on all aspects of the NSDAP, the other party organizations and the government. Hosted by Michael Miller & Igor Karpov.
Pitino

Re: Gauleiter Questions and Answers

Post by Pitino » 12 Mar 2009, 16:10

Mark Costa wrote:There was no gauleiter. Kutschera was in an acting capacity only. During this whole period after Klausner's official appointment,Kutschera was acting gauleiter during the periods where Klausner was ill, then continued to act as gauleiter after his death. You should not pay too much attention to the start and stop dates here. The bottom line is, after March 22, 1939, it was either Klausner or his deputy, Kutschera that ran the gau, until Rainer was appointed officially. So Kutschera was allowed to run the gau until one was appointed. This is also true with other gaus and gauleiters such as Karl Holz who ran Streicher's gau. Holz was not actually appointed an official gauleiter until late in the war -- my assumption being, that Hitler did not want to "officially" replace his old comrade Streicher, so Holz had to wait three years until getting his promotion. Yet he and later Gerland, were the only "acting" gauleiters who were granted invitations to attend the bi-annual gauleiter conferences during the war. Other acting gauleiters like Kutschera, Zimmermann, Vetter, Leyser and Schmalz were not invited. One can only guess as to why? And it is interesting to note that Holz was even referred to as "gauleiter" long before he ever was given the official title and uniform. Schlessmann also was sometimes referred to as "gauleiter" by Goebbels even though he never became one.

I might point out here, that at these bi-annual gauleiter conferences, mostly held at the Wolfsschanze, two other deputy gauleiters were also invited as support for their gauleiters -- namely Artur Görlitzer, and Schlessmann -- although their superiors (Goebbels and Terboven) were still in office -- they were the ones actually handling the day to day operations of the gau -- hence they were invited to attend the conferences.

Mark Costa

Mark,
Very interesting info and much appreciated!!! From your info am I correct at assuming that Wladimir von Pawlowski never served as the Gauleiter of Karnten (Official or Unofficial) or did he?

Pitino

Mark Costa

Post by Mark Costa » 12 Mar 2009, 17:58

Wladimir von Pawlowski was certainly not a Gauleiter and I have no information on him being a deputy Gauleiter in any Gau during this time period. He may have held an illegal Gauleiter title before March 1938 but records for illegal Gauleiters I find are rarely accurate.

Mark Costa

Pitino

Post by Pitino » 12 Mar 2009, 23:31

Mark Costa wrote:Wladimir von Pawlowski was certainly not a Gauleiter and I have no information on him being a deputy Gauleiter in any Gau during this time period. He may have held an illegal Gauleiter title before March 1938 but records for illegal Gauleiters I find are rarely accurate.

Mark Costa
Mark,
Thanks for that verification!!! I was pretty sure that he was never a Gauleiter, but when I saw him listed as one on German Wikipedia I had to check it out. Anyway, the info is greatly appreciated!!!

Pitino

Pitino

Post by Pitino » 13 Mar 2009, 22:15

-After some discussion with Forum members Mark Costa and Georges JEROME coupled together with more research on my part, I have come up with this list of Karnten Gauleiters. If anyone disputes what I have please do not be afraid to post your concerns, because I just want to get the history correct!!! The list is as follows:

Karnten- (Carinthia)
-(1923-1925)- Walther Rentmeister (Unofficial NSDAP-Leader in Karnten)
-(August 29,1926-May 15,1927)- Hans Mazenauer (Unofficial Gaufuhrer)
-(1927-1928)- Ludolf Haase (Unofficial Gauleiter)
-(May 15,1927-June 19,1933)- Hugo Herzog (Unofficial Gauleiter)
-(February 1,1933-May 4,1933)- Hans von Kothen (Unofficial Gauleiter)
-(May 4,1933-March 3,1936)- Hubert Klausner (Unofficial deputy Gauleiter)
-(March 3,1936-February 20,1938)- Peter Feistritzer (Unofficial Gauleiter)
-(February 20,1938-May 1938)- Franz Kutschera (Unofficial Managing deputy Gauleiter)
-(May 22,1938-February 12,1939)- Hubert Klausner (1st Official Gauleiter)
-(May 1938-February 1939)- Franz Kutschera (deputy Gauleiter performing as the Acting Gauleiter at times)
-(February 1939-November 17,1941)- Franz Kutschera (deputy Gauleiter performing as the Acting Gauleiter)
-(November 18,1941-May 8,1945)- Friedrich Rainer (Official Gauleiter)

Pitino

Pitino

Post by Pitino » 18 Mar 2009, 18:15

-I need a little help!! I have seen in some sources that Bruno Fricke seved as the Gauleiter of Danzig in 1930, but in my Danzig Gauleiter list there is just no room for him. Was he the deputy Gauleiter or is my list wrong? My list is as follows:

Danzig
-(March 11,1926-August 20,1928)- Hans-Albert Hohnfeldt
-(August 20,1928-March 1,1929)- Walther Maas - (Kommissarischer)
-(March 1,1929-October 3,1930)- Erich Koch - (Kommissarischer)
-(October 3,1930-October 15,1930)- Artur Greiser - (Kommissarischer)
-(October 15,1930-October 7,1939)- Albert Forster
-Gau Renamed

Danzig-West Prussia
-(October 7,1939-March 27,1945)- Albert Forster (Appointed Reichsstatthalter on October 26,1939)

Pitino

Michael Miller
Forum Staff

Post by Michael Miller » 18 Mar 2009, 20:26

Fricke never held the Gauleiter post in Danzig. He was the local SA leader, and served for a time as Gaugeschäftsführer (business manager of the Gauleitung). Here are a few notes:

From my biographical sketch of Albert Forster:
To gain control of the militant and often resentful SA, previously led by the controversial Bruno Fricke, Forster appointed his friend- also from Fürth- Max Linsmayer- as SA- Führer in Danzig on 01.12.1930.
From my biographical sketch of Arthur Greiser:
01.09.1930-19.06.1933 Gaugeschäftsführer in the “Gauleitung Danzig der NSDAP”. Appointed by then acting Gauleiter Erich Koch, who had suspended the incumbent (appointed in February or March 1930), Bruno Fricke from the post. The highly popular Fricke additionally held the post of SA-Führer in Danzig, and as such gave the local SA a particularly militant character, as well as using it as his power base to oppose the "political" wing of the Danzig Party (represented by Greiser, Hans Albert Hohnfeldt, Walter Maass, Wilhelm von Wnuck, and Gauleiter Koch). As SA-Führer, he was also a loyal subordinate of the mutinous "OSAF Ost", Walter Stennes; Herbert S. Levine writes: "On 30 July 1930 Koch felt strong enough to demand of the Reichsleitung that Fricke be expelled from the party for usurping the prerogatives of the political leadership and for carrying out the 'deliberate sabotage' at the direction of Stennes." (Source: Levine, Hitler's Free City, p. 26)
03.10.1930-15.10.1930 (kommissarischer) Gauleiter of “Gau Danzig der NSDAP”, appointed by Hermann Göring on the understanding that he would remain in the post only until the arrival of a permanent appointee. Göring appointed a supporter of Bruno Fricke as deputy to Greiser, although Fricke himself had not been readmitted to the NSDAP. Herbert S. Levine writes: "[Göring] was impressed by Fricke's local strength, and his first reaction was to give the victory to the SA, although without arranging for Fricke's readmittance to the Party." (ibid, p. 29) The appointment of a Fricke follower to the post of deputy Gauleiter nonetheless represented a victory for Fricke's SA-oriented wing of the Danzig Party against the "political" group represented by Greiser. In a letter to Göring of 04.10.1930, Greiser wrote: " quite accept the fact that our principle of command and of the authority of leadership had to be sacrificed to the demand of a majority." (i.e., the Fricke faction]." After less than two weeks as acting Gauleiter, the embittered Greiser was succeeded by Albert Forster, a fact which aroused further bitterness.

Source:Levine, Herbert S.:
Hitler’s Free City: A History of the Nazi Party in Danzig, 1925-39. University of Chicago Press, 1973.

For more on Fricke, see http://books.google.com/books?id=CzOsAA ... &ct=result

Best,
~ Mike

Pitino

Post by Pitino » 19 Mar 2009, 00:59

Mike,
Thanks for the clearification!!! I was almost positive that my list was correct until I was looking through one of my old books and saw Fricke as the Gauleiter of Danzig. The book is called "The Nazi Elite" edited by Ronald Smelser and Rainer Zitelmann. I can not understand how such accomplished authors missed that one, but we all make mistakes. Anyway, your info is very much appreciated Mike and thanks for the new sources!!!

Pitino

Pitino

Post by Pitino » 19 Mar 2009, 02:33

-Check out the Gauleiter of Walloonia and leader of the Walloon fascist Rexist Party, Leon Degrelle. Picture from "Hitler's Renegades" by Christopher Ailsby. Sorry about the fuzz!!
LastScan.jpg
LastScan.jpg (185.02 KiB) Viewed 1149 times

Pitino

Post by Pitino » 19 Mar 2009, 20:07

-Can anyone tell me when the above picture of Degrelle was taken? He is wearing the Knight's Cross awarded to him in February 1944, so it has to either be in or after (Feb. 1944).

Pitino

Pitino

Post by Pitino » 20 Mar 2009, 01:50

-Members,
Forum member Max Williams via private message has narrowed the time-frame of the Degrelle picture to some period in between (February 20,1944-August 27,1944). His determination came from the fact that Degrelle is wearing his Knight's Cross that was awarded to him on February 20,1944 and Degrelle is not wearing the Oakleaves to his Knight's Cross that he received on August 27,1944. Nice job Max!!! If anyone can narrow it down more then by all means please have at it. Thank you.

Pitino

Phil Nix
In memoriam

Post by Phil Nix » 22 Mar 2009, 12:14

I have him as Deputy Gauleiter Karnten 20.2.38 - 17.3.38 in succession to Kutschera who had succeeded Peter Feistritzer .Kutscher was the official Deputy until 5.5.1938 when he Klausner took over
Phil Nix

Igor Karpov
Host - ABR sections

Post by Igor Karpov » 22 Mar 2009, 14:38

Pitino wrote:-Members,
Forum member Max Williams via private message has narrowed the time-frame of the Degrelle picture to some period in between (February 20,1944-August 27,1944). His determination came from the fact that Degrelle is wearing his Knight's Cross that was awarded to him on February 20,1944 and Degrelle is not wearing the Oakleaves to his Knight's Cross that he received on August 27,1944. Nice job Max!!! If anyone can narrow it down more then by all means please have at it. Thank you.

Pitino
The first town which received a visit from the Degrelle's unit was Charleroi on 1 April 1944. After the ceremony at Charleroi the unit proceeded to Brussels, where the above picture of Leon was taken. So, it's April 1944.

Regards,
Igor

Max Williams

Post by Max Williams » 22 Mar 2009, 15:26

Transpspeer wrote:
Pitino wrote:-Members,

Pitino
The first town which received a visit from the Degrelle's unit was Charleroi on 1 April 1944. After the ceremony at Charleroi the unit proceeded to Brussels, where the above picture of Leon was taken. So, it's April 1944.

Regards,
Igor
Igor,
The only problem with this date is that I believe Degrelle was seriously wounded in March 1944 for which he was awarded the Wound Badge in Gold. He doesn't look like he is suffering from any wounds in this photo!
Max.

Pitino

Post by Pitino » 22 Mar 2009, 21:18

Igor and Max,
I don't know which one of you is correct, but he does look to be pretty healthy for a man that was supposedly seriously wounded only a month before. Do you know the extent to his injuries? If his wounds were not as bad as we have been led to believe, then Igor may indeed be correct. I think the answer to this question may be solved if we can figure out the real seiousness to Degrelle's wounds. Until then I am on the fence with this one.

Pitino

Pitino

Post by Pitino » 22 Mar 2009, 21:25

Phil Nix wrote:I have him as Deputy Gauleiter Karnten 20.2.38 - 17.3.38 in succession to Kutschera who had succeeded Peter Feistritzer .Kutscher was the official Deputy until 5.5.1938 when he Klausner took over
Phil Nix

Phil,
Thanks for the info, but now I am cofused a bit. In my above list I have Kutschera succeeding Feistritzer. I have Klausner being made the 1st Official Gauleiter of Carinthia on May 22,1938 taking over for the Unofficial Managing deputy Gauleiter, Kutschera. I have seen where Kutschera served as the Unofficial Managing deputy Gauleiter from (Feb. 20,1938-March 1938), but I have also seen him holding this same Post until Klausner took over in May. You have Klausner being appointed May 5,1938 maybe I am wrong. Are you positive on your dates? If so then let me know and I may have to do some rearranging on my list. I appreciate your time and info.

Pitino

Return to “NSDAP, other party organizations & Government”