Gauleiter Questions and Answers

Discussions on all aspects of the NSDAP, the other party organizations and the government. Hosted by Michael Miller & Igor Karpov.
Pitino

Re: Gauleiter Questions and Answers

Post by Pitino » 31 Oct 2010 17:50

Phil Nix wrote:Copuld Gdz mean Gauleiter zur Dienst and GaD mean Gauleiter ausser Dienst so the first meant Gauleiter witout a post but available and the seond Gauleiter no longer available
Phil Nix
Phil,
-You could be correct, but without official approval I do not know what it stands for exactly!!! Maybe, someone could let us know what the abbreviation stands for exactly or confirm what you stated.

Pitino

Pitino

Post by Pitino » 03 Dec 2010 04:41

-I found a transmission that lists Ritter von Epp as Gauleiter bzw.!!! It lists him like this Gauleiter bzw. (Epp) Reichsleiter. Does anyone know anything about Epp holding anykind of Gauleiter title?

Pitino

Pitino

Post by Pitino » 05 Feb 2011 21:03

-For some time now I have looked for the official appointment date that Stv. GL. Karl Holz was appointed Gauleiter von Franken. I have always saw (1944) and (November 1944). Well, my friends I have found it!!!! In a transmission from the PKzl. to Robert Ley on (November 19, 1944) full support was given to the installation of the Stv. GL. Karl Holz als Gauleiter von Franken. The transmission also states that in order for this to have been realized the return of Pg. Liebel to Oberburgermeister was absolutely necessary. Finally, the transmission states that Streicher caused no problems and did not raise a claim to Franconia. Pretty interesting stuff, but I have some questions. The transmission states that Party member Liebel was to return as Oberburgermeister. Where did he go and who served in his place? Also, it states that Streicher did not raise a claim to Franconia. So, was Streicher considered a beurlaubten Gauleiter (Gauleiter on leave) until Karl holz was appointed the official Gauleiter von Franken on (November 19, 1944)?

-("4: Regesten Band 2, Volume 2", p. 1075)

Pitino

Phil Nix
In memoriam

Post by Phil Nix » 06 Feb 2011 11:26

Pitino wrote:-I found a transmission that lists Ritter von Epp as Gauleiter bzw.!!! It lists him like this Gauleiter bzw. (Epp) Reichsleiter. Does anyone know anything about Epp holding anykind of Gauleiter title?

Pitino
bzw = Beziehung
Phil Nix

Pitino

Post by Pitino » 09 Mar 2011 06:59

-I recently found a transmission dealing with the inside power struggles of the NSDAP that we all at the Forum love so much. As we all know Hans Schemm was killed in an airplane accident on (March 5, 1935). What I did not know is what went on just a day later!!! In a transmission from the Reichsorganisationsleitung on (March 6, 1935) a message was sent to the Stab des StdF from Stv. GL Ruckdeschelon the factual report of Schemm's accident. Upon reading the transmission Dr. Ley quickly proposed his man (GL Karl Wahl) to succede GL Schemm and he proposed Max Kolb or Göpfert to replace Schemm as Hauptamtsleiter des Hauptamts für Erzieher and as Reichswalter des NSLB. Well, wouldn't you know that these replacements did not set well with the "Brown Eminence" (Bormann). Bormann wanted to put his man (Fritz Wächtler) into all 3 Posts. The decision went to Hitler and on (April 16, 1935) Hitler decided that for the time being a decision was to be pushed back. So Ruckdeschell for the time being as the Deputy Gauleiter would serve as the Acting Gauleiter and Max Kolb as the Geschäftsführer des NSLB would serve as the Kommissarischer Reichswalter des NSLB. Well, as we all now know Bormann won another one!!!!!! On (Decmber 5, 1935), Fritz Wächtler was appointed the new Gauleiter des Gaues Bayr. Ostmark. Also, on that same day he was made Reichswalter des NSLB and Hauptamtsleiter des Hauptamts für Erzieher. Pretty interesting stuff!!!!

-("4: Regesten Band 2, Volume 2, p. 133, note 21007, Helmut Heiber)

Pitino

Pitino

Post by Pitino » 06 Aug 2011 01:13

-I have come across a very interesting transmission on (August 13, 1942) from Bormann to the RFSS . Apparently SS-Brif. Odilo Globocnik wanted the very prestigous ehrenhalber Gauleiter title next to his name and he thought that his recent promotion to Hauptbereichsleiter der NSDAP was a degredation. Well, on (August 13, 1942) Bormann outright denied Globocnik the right to wear the uniform of a former Gauleiter. This is interesting in itself, but the reason that Bormann gave for his denial is what I think most of our Forum members would really be interested in. Bormann claimed that for a former Gauleiter to receive this honor that he had to have served a term of more than 4 years with the Leadership and official name of a Gauleiter. Bormann claimed that Hitler made this a requirement in similar cases to that of Globocnik. As we now know, Globocnik, did not serve a term anywhere near 4 years!!! I always wondered why some former Gauleiters were bestowed with the GL e.h. and others were not. I have not got a chance to look at the other men on the list of ehrenhalber Gauleiters to see if they all served as Gauleiter for more than 4 years. Maybe Hitler made this a requirement later on due to many former Gauleiters wanting the honor to wear their former uniform. I any case, Globocnik, was denied and it seems that he was not pleased with his Hauptbereichsleiter der NSDAP ranking. Comments on this new development are welcomed!!!!

-("Regesten, Band 1", p. 724, note 16056)

Pitino

Mark Costa

Post by Mark Costa » 06 Aug 2011 03:27

Pitino:

I can honestly say I have never seen or heard of any such directive from Hitler. But most assuredly if one does exist it was a latter day event. Most of the dozen or so men who held honorary gauleiterships and allowed to wear the uniform were certainly not in office 4 years of more. And Hans Krebs was never one -- only an honorary one. Bormann was probably making it up to quell any movement for Globocnik to receive such a special designation. He was hated within the party leadership -- Goebbels did not have many nice things to say about him. He was a crude, sadistic and corrupt individual -- even by nazi standards.

Mark Costa

Pitino

Post by Pitino » 06 Aug 2011 21:05

Mark Costa wrote:Pitino:

I can honestly say I have never seen or heard of any such directive from Hitler. But most assuredly if one does exist it was a latter day event. Most of the dozen or so men who held honorary gauleiterships and allowed to wear the uniform were certainly not in office 4 years of more. And Hans Krebs was never one -- only an honorary one. Bormann was probably making it up to quell any movement for Globocnik to receive such a special designation. He was hated within the party leadership -- Goebbels did not have many nice things to say about him. He was a crude, sadistic and corrupt individual -- even by nazi standards.

Mark Costa
Mark,
-As long as we have talked about Honorary Gauleiters this is the first time that I have ever seen a criteria for the award! It must have come about later on in the Hitler era. As for Globocnik, he most certainly was angered over his HBerL promotion according to the transmission, but he should had been happy just to have an NSDAP ranking at all after how his Gauleiter tenure ended.

Pitino

Pitino

Post by Pitino » 24 Sep 2011 22:18

-I have seen on the Forum where some people stated that Wilhelm Gustloff held the Gauleiter title and I have seen where some say that he never held the rank or title for that matter. So, was he or wasn't he!!!! I have found a transmission from the Adj. d. F. to the Stab des StdFon (April 16, 1936) that positively lists Gustloff as GL Gustloff. Can anyone explain this?

-("Regesten, Band 1", p. 169, note 11437)

Pitino

Mark Costa

Post by Mark Costa » 20 Oct 2011 14:52

Attached is a very nice photo of Herbert Albrecht wearing the very rare BLACK Retired/Honorary Gauleiter collar tabs. This photo was taken when Albrecht served as one of the Vice Presidents of the Reichstag.

Mark Costa
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Pitino

Post by Pitino » 21 Oct 2011 01:30

Mark Costa wrote:Attached is a very nice photo of Herbert Albrecht wearing the very rare BLACK Retired/Honorary Gauleiter collar tabs. This photo was taken when Albrecht served as one of the Vice Presidents of the Reichstag.

Mark Costa
Mark,
-Great photo in that it gives us a glimpse of those rare collar tabs!!!! Do you know the date of the picture?

Pitino

Igor Karpov
Host - ABR sections

Post by Igor Karpov » 12 Feb 2012 11:40

Pitino wrote:-Anyone have anything else on this Harald Strohschneider character?
He was SS-Untersturmführer.

Regards,
Igor

Geoff Walden

Gauleiter Paul Giesler's Death and Burial

Post by Geoff Walden » 02 Dec 2012 14:53

I know this has been discussed before, but with conflicting info. I have read different dates for Paul Giesler's death, different circumstances, and different places of burial. I'm wondering if anyone has the definitive answers? I'm not so much interested in Giesler himself, as in the reported locations of his death and burial in the Berchtesgaden area.

I have read, basically, that Giesler and members of his family attempted suicide (maybe more than once?) in the Berchtesgaden area, starting 1 May 1945. I have then read that he died in Ramsau on 2 May 1945, or 4 May, or died in a military hospital in Bischofswiesen/Stanggass on 8 May 1945 (would this be the Dietrick Eckart Krankenhaus?). I have read that Giesler shot his wife on 2 May 1945 in a wooded area near the Hintersee. I have read that the suicide attempt was as late as 8 May 1945, when both Giesler and his wife died. I have also read that this suicide attempt failed, and that they were then shot by an Adjutant. I have read that Giesler was buried in Ramsau, and also Berchtesgaden itself. I have read that Giesler and his wife are buried in an unmarked grave in Berchtesgaden, and I have also read that Giesler's body was later removed to Munich.

Obviously, not all of these dates, locations, and circumstances can be true!

The only thing I know for sure is that there is a grave marker in Ramsau for Margret Giesler, 13+8+1896 - 2+5+1945. Was this Paul Giesler's wife?

Anyone know for sure if Paul Giesler was (or still is) buried in the Berchtesgaden area, and where?

Thanks for any insight!

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 13 Dec 2012 14:40

Pitino

Post by Pitino » 22 May 2013 23:43

-I think I have found the date that Hans Meinshausen was awarded the rare stellvertretender Gauleiter ehrenhalber title!!! In a transmission from the Reichsorganisationsleitung to the Stab des StdF on (January 13, 1937), the confirmation service rank application and identity card was awarded to Hans Meinshausen. The confirmation was that of an eliminated Political Leader that was awarded the Honor of wearing the Badge of a stellvertretender Gauleiter!!! It looked like this: (13.1.1937)- Antrag auf Bestätigung des Dienstranges sowie Ausweisausstellung fur Pg. Hans Meinshausen ( stellvertretender Gauleiter mit dem Abzeichen fur ausgeschiedene Politische Leiter). I have been looking for this date for some period of time!!!!

-("Akten der Partei-Kanzlei", p. 272)

Pitino

Return to “NSDAP, other party organizations & Government”