Gauleiter Questions and Answers

Discussions on all aspects of the NSDAP, the other party organizations and the government. Hosted by Michael Miller & Igor Karpov.
Pitino

Re: Gauleiter Questions and Answers

Post by Pitino » 05 Feb 2009 18:30

-Can anyone tell me if Karl Holz was ever named the official Gauleiter of Franconia or did he only serve as the Kommassarischer Gauleiter of Franconia ?

Pitino

Pitino

Post by Pitino » 06 Feb 2009 13:05

Pitino wrote:-Can anyone tell me if Karl Holz was ever named the official Gauleiter of Franconia or did he only serve as the Kommassarischer Gauleiter of Franconia ?

Pitino
-I was later provided the answer through private message that Holz was indeed promoted to the Official Gauleiter of Franconia in December 1944. He served as the Kommissarischer Gauleiter of Franconia from (April 4,1942-December 1944) and as the Official Gauleiter of Franconia from (December 1944-April 20,1945). I give extreme thanks to the member who provided me with the correct info!!!

Pitino

Pitino

Post by Pitino » 14 Feb 2009 13:31

-Can someone explain to me why the post of Landesinspekteur (Regional Inspector) was not more important in the hierarchy of the NSDAP? Wasn't the post of Regional Inspector above the Gauleiter in the Organization of the NSDAP and wasn't each Regional Inspector responsible for 4 Gaue? I mean wouldn't it have been more prestigous to control Four Gaue rather then just One?

-Can someone provide me with a list of the Regional Inspectors during the NSDAP tenure?

Pitino

Pitino

Post by Pitino » 19 Feb 2009 03:58

-I was later provided with a list of some of the Landesinspekteurs by a member of the Forum through a private message. A reform took place inside the Party during the summer of 1932. The Post of Landesinspekteur and Reichsinspekteur were created following the shuffle, but they did not last long and were abolished in December 1932. I would like to express my sincerest thanks to the Forum member who gave us the info. Here is a list of the Party members that held the title of Landesinspekteur:

Landesinspektionen-(July 15,1932-December 1932)
-Ost-(Gaue Schlesien,Ostpreussen,Danzig)
-(August 17,1932-December 9,1932)- Helmuth Bruckner
-Berlin
-(July 15,1932-December 9,1932)- Paul Gustav Schulz ? (not positive)
-Mitteldeutschland-Brandenburg
-(July 15,1932-December 9,1932)- Wilhelm Friedrich Loeper
-Nord
-(July 15,1932-December 9,1932)- Hinrich Lohse
-Niedersachsen-(Gaue Westfalen-Nord,Westfalen-Sud,Weser-Ems,Ost-Hannover,Sud-Hannover)
-(July 15,1932-September 9,1932)- Bernhard Rust
-Bayern
-(July 15,1932-December 9,1932)- Robert Ley
-Sachsen-Thuringen
-(July 15,1932-December 9,1932)- Martin Mutschmann
-Sudwest-(Gaue Hessen-Nassau-Sud,Hessen-Darmstadt,Wurttemberg,Baden)
-(July 15,1932-December 9,1932)- Jakob Sprenger
-West-(Gaue Dusseldorf,Essen,Koblenz-Trier,Koln-Aachen,Saar)
-(July 15,1932-December 9,1932)- Heinrich Haake
-Osterreich
-(August 20,1932-July 26,1934)- Theo Habicht

Pitino

Pitino

Post by Pitino » 23 Feb 2009 16:23

-Can someone give me the correct dates that Gauleiter Robert Wagner served as the Head of the Alsace Civil Administration ? (I have seen him listed from (June 1940-November 22,1944) and I have seen a source that has him being appointed to the Post in 1943)

-Also, as Head of the Civil Administration did he hold the title of Reich Administrator (Like Koch in Bialystock) or Reich Commissioner of Alsace (Like Grohe in Belgium-Northen France) ?

Pitino

VJK

Post by VJK » 23 Feb 2009 17:27

Hi Pitino,

R. Wagner was appointed Chef der Zivilverwaltung im Elsass from 2 August 1940 -

Sources: http://books.google.de/books?id=VFUY_4N ... &ct=result

http://www.judeninmutterstadt.org/site4/text43a.htm

Best regards,

VJK

Pitino

Post by Pitino » 23 Feb 2009 22:27

VJK wrote:Hi Pitino,

R. Wagner was appointed Chef der Zivilverwaltung im Elsass from 2 August 1940 -

Sources: http://books.google.de/books?id=VFUY_4N ... &ct=result

http://www.judeninmutterstadt.org/site4/text43a.htm

Best regards,

VJK
VJK,
The info and sources are much appreciated!!! Both sites state August 2,1940 and they seem to be convincing. Do you know if his title for that Post was Reich Administrator ? (I'm pretty sure he never held the Reichskommissar title)
Thanks again,
Pitino

Pitino

Post by Pitino » 24 Feb 2009 00:18

-Can someone give me the correct dates that Gauleiter, Gustav Simon, served as the Chief of Civil Administration in Luxemburg ? (I have August 2,1940-September ?,1944)

Chief of Civil Administration in Luxemburg
-(August 2,1940- September 1944)- Gustav Simon

Pitino

Pitino

Post by Pitino » 06 Mar 2009 16:31

-I know that Axel Ripke served as the Gauleiter of North Rhineland from (March 27,1925-July 1925) and was stripped from his Party appointment by the Party Court Judge, Gregor Strasser on July 12,1925. He was found guilty of mis-directing Party funds, but I have heard that he was set-up by Gobbels and Kaufmann to take the fall. Can anyone tell me if there is any validity to this story ?

Pitino

Pitino

Post by Pitino » 06 Mar 2009 21:21

-I have found the source for the Ripke set-up in "The Devil's Disciples" by Anthony Read. Apparently Gobbels was about to be bounced from the Party by Ripke and with his talent for intrigue he beat Ripke to the punch. First Gobbels and Kaufmann accused Ripke of disloyalty to Hitler and they followed that up with the more serious crime of embezzling Party funds. The charge was never proved, but it was enough, because Strasser did not like Ripke(he represented the right-wing Munich clique along with Streicher and Esser) and he seized upon that opportunity to get Ripke out of his hair. Gobbel's wrote in his diary that "Ripke is finished and now we can get down to work". I guess the story has validity and is a microcosim of the inner workings of the NSDAP.

Pitino

Pitino

Post by Pitino » 09 Mar 2009 06:43

-Here is a short bio of Axel Ripke from "Hitler's Political Generals: The Gauleiters (Including the Reichsleiters) by David Lyne-Gordon.

Axel Ripke
-(1918)- Appointed Secretary General of the German People's Party
-(March 27,1925-July 1925)- Served as the NSDAP-Gauleiter of North Rhineland
-(July 12,1925)- Found guilty of mis-directing Party funds and stripped of his Party appointment by the Party Court
Judge, Gregor Strasser
-(November 9,1932)- Expelled from the NSDAP following a medical examination by Gerictsarzt Dr. Schutt who declared
him to be "geisteskrank"
-He was later appointed Stadtverordneter in Wupperthal

Pitino

Pitino

Post by Pitino » 11 Mar 2009 13:44

-I am puzzled!!! While browsing the Landeshauptmann of Austria on German Wikipedia I came across Wladimir von Pawlowski and they had him listed as the Gauleiter of Karnten before and after Hubert Klausner. I was under the impression that Franz Kutschera held those Posts. Does anyone have an explanation for this? My list of the Gauleiters for Karnten are as follows:

Karnten- (Carinthia)
-(1923-1925)- Walther Rentmeister (Unofficial Gauleiter)
-(August 29,1926)- Hans Mazenauer (Unofficial Gaufuhrer)
-(1927-1928)- Ludolf Haase (Unofficial Gauleiter)
-(May 15,1927-June 19,1933)- Hugo Herzog (Unofficial Gauleiter)
-(February 1,1933)- Hans von Kothen (Unofficial Gauleiter)
-(October 1936-February 20,1938)- Peter Feistritzer (Unofficial Gauleiter)
-(February 20,1938-May 1938)- Franz Kutschera (Unofficial Managing Gauleiter)
-(May 1938-1940)- Franz Kutschera (Acting Gauleiter)
-(May 22,1938-February 15,1939)- Hubert Klausner (1st Official Gauleiter)
-(1940-November 17,1941)- Franz Kutschera (Official Gauleiter)
-(November 18,1941-May 8,1945)- Friedrich Rainer (Official Gauleiter)

Pitino

Mark Costa

Post by Mark Costa » 11 Mar 2009 20:04

Franz Kutschera was NEVER an official gauleiter. He NEVER wore gauleiter insignia. He always wore collar tabs of a deputy gauleiter before the insignia change in 1939. And after the change, the armband of a deputy gauleiter with Oberdienstleiter collar tabs. Although listed as such in many references, he was never an official gauleiter, only acting gauleiter during these periods.

Mark Costa

Pitino

Post by Pitino » 12 Mar 2009 01:18

Mark Costa wrote:Franz Kutschera was NEVER an official gauleiter. He NEVER wore gauleiter insignia. He always wore collar tabs of a deputy gauleiter before the insignia change in 1939. And after the change, the armband of a deputy gauleiter with Oberdienstleiter collar tabs. Although listed as such in many references, he was never an official gauleiter, only acting gauleiter during these periods.

Mark Costa
Mark,
Thanks for the info and clearing that point up for us, but why would certain sources claim that he was an official Gauleiter? So who was the Gauleiter during those two periods (before and after Klausner)? Was it Pawlowski after all?

Pitino

Mark Costa

Post by Mark Costa » 12 Mar 2009 14:39

There was no gauleiter. Kutschera was in an acting capacity only. During this whole period after Klausner's official appointment,Kutschera was acting gauleiter during the periods where Klausner was ill, then continued to act as gauleiter after his death. You should not pay too much attention to the start and stop dates here. The bottom line is, after March 22, 1939, it was either Klausner or his deputy, Kutschera that ran the gau, until Rainer was appointed officially. So Kutschera was allowed to run the gau until one was appointed. This is also true with other gaus and gauleiters such as Karl Holz who ran Streicher's gau. Holz was not actually appointed an official gauleiter until late in the war -- my assumption being, that Hitler did not want to "officially" replace his old comrade Streicher, so Holz had to wait three years until getting his promotion. Yet he and later Gerland, were the only "acting" gauleiters who were granted invitations to attend the bi-annual gauleiter conferences during the war. Other acting gauleiters like Kutschera, Zimmermann, Vetter, Leyser and Schmalz were not invited. One can only guess as to why? And it is interesting to note that Holz was even referred to as "gauleiter" long before he ever was given the official title and uniform. Schlessmann also was sometimes referred to as "gauleiter" by Goebbels even though he never became one.

I might point out here, that at these bi-annual gauleiter conferences, mostly held at the Wolfsschanze, two other deputy gauleiters were also invited as support for their gauleiters -- namely Artur Görlitzer, and Schlessmann -- although their superiors (Goebbels and Terboven) were still in office -- they were the ones actually handling the day to day operations of the gau -- hence they were invited to attend the conferences.

Mark Costa

Return to “NSDAP, other party organizations & Government”