Nazi Publishing House in Munich

Discussions on all aspects of the NSDAP, the other party organizations and the government. Hosted by Michael Miller & Igor Karpov.
JLEES

Nazi Publishing House in Munich

Post by JLEES » 30 Jan 2003, 04:09

Hello,
I just purchased a new book "Encyclopedia of the Third Reich," by Dr. Louis L. Snyder. On page 80, it states Eher Verlag was the main publishing house for the NSDAP. This reportedly was the publishing house used to print the Mein Kampf books for Hitler. Furthermore, it states the firm was originally owned by Franz Eher II and taken over by Max Amann in 1922. Since I have a number of Nazi propaganda postcards published by Franz Eher of Munich during the thirties, are they one and the same publishing house? If yes, why do they say Franz Eher and not Franz Eher II? If they are not the same publishing houses they must be atleast related.
Thanks,
James

Geli

Post by Geli » 01 Feb 2003, 01:29

This is interesting to me. What are the subjects of the postcards? All of the one's with Hitler's picture were from Hoffman Verlag, weren't they?

JLEES

Hoffmann Cards

Post by JLEES » 01 Feb 2003, 14:28

Geli,
No! Hoffmann was probably the biggest Nazi postcard publisher of the Third Reich, but he was not the only one. Franz Eher's firm in Munich also published a lot of cards. It looks like Ehre's items were mainly for the Nuremberg Rallies though. I have about twenty from Eher's firm in my collection and they also tend to be the high quality cards too.
James

Geli

Post by Geli » 01 Feb 2003, 17:05

Was Eher a photographer himself, or did he just own the company?

JLEES

Franz Eher

Post by JLEES » 01 Feb 2003, 17:55

Gelid,
I'm not sure who exactly Franz Eher was. The book stated Franz Ether II sold the company "Eher Verlag" to the NSDAP in the twenties and it was used as the party's main publishing house thereafter. This might also mean Franz Eher was dead and the company may have been under his son's control, but this is only speculation my part. The Nazi Reichstag cards simply say Franz Eher on them and they were published in the thirties. Therefore, I'm wondering whether this was the actual publishing house for the NSDAP and that would mean the cards were published by the Nazi Party and not "on behalf of the NSDAP" as some have written. Or were Eher Verlag and Franz Eher firms two different companies in Munich? I'm starting to think cards with Franz Eher on them as the publisher were in fact published by the Nazi publishing house. Right up until reading the book "Encyclopedia of the Third Reich," by Dr. Louis L. Snyder, I thought Franz Eher was an independent printing firm that published cards like the Heinrich Hoffmann firm in Munich, but now I'm confused.
James

JLEES

Nazi Publishing House

Post by JLEES » 06 Feb 2003, 12:54

Hello,
I was going through some additional books on founf this information about the main Nazi publishing house in Munich. The main publishing house of the NSDAP, Franz Eher Nachfolger GmbH München, or Eher Verlag, printed the party’s books, flyers, pamphlets and the Völkischer Beobachte. Originally owned by Franz Eher II, it was taken over by Reichsleiter Max Amann in 1922, and issued the first editions of Mein Kampf a few years later. When Goebbels founded the Reich Chamber of Press in 1933, Amann was appointed president and quickly began taking over and controlling all publication houses throughout the Third Reich. That year, the NSDAP owned roughly 5% of the publishing houses in Germany; by 1940 Amann controlled 67% of the press and by 1944 only 17.5% remained in private hands. After also taking over the Das Reich and Die Deutsche Allgemeine Zeitung newspapers, and the Deutsche Verlag, Amann controlled the largest publishing house in Europe, racking in a yearly income of 700 million Reichsmarks and becoming one of the most powerful men in the Third Reich. While gaining this power, Amann also published a number of propaganda postcards bearing the name Franz Eher on their rear side. Today a number of people have commented that these cards were “published by behalf of the NSDAP by Franz Eher,” when in reality they were published by the NSDAP directly in Amann’s run central printing office. In addition to controlling much of the Nazi publishing world, Amann employed the talents of Richard Klein to design a large number of high quality propaganda postcards for the various Nuremberg Rallies. I believe it was located directly across the street from Heinrich Hoffmann's studio in Munich. While there two years ago I looked up Hoffmann's studio and the article I used to find it said something about the Nazi publishing house being across the street. The building no longer stands and there is something else there now. Nevertheless, anything with Franz Eher on it means it was printed at the main NSDAP publishing house.
James

Geli

Post by Geli » 06 Feb 2003, 19:46

Ah, very interesting. Thank you, James!

Anyone have a photo of Max Amann to post?

Return to “NSDAP, other party organizations & Government”