Hitler and Languages

Discussions on all aspects of the NSDAP, the other party organizations and the government. Hosted by Michael Miller & Igor Karpov.
varjag
In memoriam

Post by varjag » 22 Feb 2003, 13:09

Some above posts and analysis confirms that Hitler had passable understanding of French and could also 'get by' with English phraseology but hardly in discussion, a knowledge that he for tactical reasons obviously kept to himself. As for Mussolini, a good witness is Skorzeny who claims that Mussolini spoke reasonably good German and would have had few problems bringing his points over to Hitler. German grammar - 'was invented by the devil' - but even without it - most Germans understand very well what a non-fluent speaker is trying to say.

Jeff O

Post by Jeff O » 23 Feb 2003, 10:31

I was under the impression that Hitler spent some time in England after WW1...does anyone know if there is any truth to that?

ozs86

Post by ozs86 » 23 Feb 2003, 13:00

panzermahn wrote:According to John Toland's book, Mussolini can speak german but with a bravura accent that sometimes Hitler didn't get any sense of it..Mussolini was a former journalist..
mussolini lived in südtirol for a few years thats probably why...

Nimrod

Post by Nimrod » 23 Feb 2003, 19:52

Mike Knowlton wrote:When and how did Goering learn English?
This doesn't answer your question, but while we're on the subject I read that Goring was very popular with American troops after he was captured, sharing jokes and stories etc.

Dan

Post by Dan » 23 Feb 2003, 22:00

His wife was half-Irish. And don't forget he was of aristocratic stock, so world-wise.

DarExc

Post by DarExc » 24 Feb 2003, 01:52

This doesn't answer your question, but while we're on the subject I read that Goring was very popular with American troops after he was captured, sharing jokes and stories etc.
Goering was a very friendly person and everyone who knew him only has good things to say about him. He is said to have been the human face of the party although he did partake in some of the evils behind the scenes. The Americans threw him a party when he surrendered and it took some time before MP's came and took him away for trials, before that he hadn't even been locked up.

As for Mussolini he did indeed speak German and he spoke to German citizens at ralies a few times during visits to Germany.

sparkasse

Post by sparkasse » 01 Apr 2003, 16:27

I belive Hitler spoke only German. He was a nationalist, so why bother to learn another language? If others wanted to speak to him they had to know German.

sparkasse

Post by sparkasse » 01 Apr 2003, 16:29

I believe he spoke only German. He was a nationalist so why bother learning some other language?

White Leopard

Post by White Leopard » 01 Apr 2003, 17:40

The point of the discussion was not if he could speak, or choose to speak, another language but if he could understand one.

michael mills

Post by michael mills » 02 Apr 2003, 05:23

Dan wrote:
When you wrote this morning, I wondered if Lloyd George was speaking German, as the Welsh are well-known linguists, but I didn't find out anything about him speaking German.
Oedd Hitler yn gallu siarad Cymraeg?

AHLF

Post by AHLF » 10 May 2003, 18:34

White Leopard wrote:The point of the discussion was not if he could speak, or choose to speak, another language but if he could understand one.
According to his translator, Schmidt, he could.
He used the time when the translator talked, to think about the maximum appropriate answer.

Nimrod

Post by Nimrod » 11 May 2003, 02:22

I have scanned countless websites containing Nazi film and sound footage but alas there is nothing available, it seems of Hitler speaking in English. Although from the comments already given in this thread clearly he had a good understanding of the English language. From trying to lip read the conversation he is having with David Lloyd-George, it does appear they are both speaking English. Perhaps a lip reading expert could clarify this.

wenty

Post by wenty » 11 May 2003, 04:14

I had already put in a post on another topic on here regarding this that i thought he may have spoken a few words in English, but not a lot. But after reading the posts on here, i now beliee he could speak passable English, which is well possible. Nimrod, i would like to visit some of the sites with film on them, etc. Could you tell me some of them? Thanks. :) Cheers. :)

Oderint Dvm Metvant

Post by Oderint Dvm Metvant » 11 May 2003, 05:57

Imagine if the US has a president who spoke with an Englishman's accent....or if you live in England...
It isn't THAT severe - I'd put it more along the lines of the various city accents within England - to outsiders theres a noticable difference but to insiders it's much more pronounced

Nimrod

Post by Nimrod » 11 May 2003, 11:15

wenty wrote:I had already put in a post on another topic on here regarding this that i thought he may have spoken a few words in English, but not a lot. But after reading the posts on here, i now beliee he could speak passable English, which is well possible. Nimrod, i would like to visit some of the sites with film on them, etc. Could you tell me some of them? Thanks. :) Cheers. :)
I have the meeting between Hitler and Llyod-George on home video, taped from a documentry. The same footage available on mpeg from the net is a lot poorer in quality and indecipherable. Unless someone has a link to the footage in decent quaility, would greatly assist me in my search to evaluate what Hitler and Lloyd-George actually said to each other.

As for other archive Nazi film and audio, I hope this [website] helps you Wenty :)

Return to “NSDAP, other party organizations & Government”