Some personal questions about Hitler

Discussions on all aspects of the NSDAP, the other party organizations and the government. Hosted by Michael Miller & Igor Karpov.
Charlemagne

Post by Charlemagne » 28 Mar 2002, 14:19

Suffering from the Gilles de la Tourette syndrom, are you Tchort?

Timo, are you a medic ? The Tourette syndrom is really hard to find. Tics and coprolalia are typical symptoms.

Davey Boy

Post by Davey Boy » 28 Mar 2002, 14:51

175cm, eh? Well that's not that short, especially for the 1930s. I thought Adolf was about 165cm, if that.

Does anyone know what his Cephalic Index was? The Cephalic Index measuers the shape of the head. These days, secientists don't pay much attention to it, but back then, the lower the C.I. the better.

Raf

Post by Raf » 17 Apr 2002, 10:49

GFM2000 wrote:Interesting points made by all. But I believe Hitler forbade smoking, rather than the consumption of meat, in his presence.
At diner, he didn't insist that his guests would eat the same as he did. There was always meat served for those who wanted to eat it, but he had the habit to make jokes about it and tell stories about his visit of a slaughterhouse and how animals were killed, just to make fun of those who were not vegetarians.
About smoking he was very strict. No smoking in his presents.

Matt Gibbs

RUMOUR AND HERESAY

Post by Matt Gibbs » 17 Apr 2002, 14:00

I would suggest that unless some factual diary entry or corroborated conversation held with Hitler about the subject of vegetarianism or written evidence from a first hand source we'll never know why he became a vegetarian - if indeed he ever discussed it with anyone.
Unless there's an established FACT everything is somone else's rumour and heresay. It would be nice to think that people on this board can agree to disagree or believe their own opinion without resorting to obscenities. I for one certainly don't come here to read other peoples filthy language. Its a shame people don't get an automatic week bad for posting that kind of language.
Regards

Raf

Post by Raf » 17 Apr 2002, 14:17

Stammfuhrer, what do you mean exactly ?

michael mills

Hitler's legs.

Post by michael mills » 18 Apr 2002, 05:18

He had a slender body due, I believe, to his vegetarianism. A lack of meat causes a lack of protein, and this leads to a lack of musculature.
Photos of Hitler taken in the 1920s, in which he is wearing Lederhosen, show his legs to have been fairly thick and apparently heavily muscled.

In "Table Talk", Hitler on a number of occasions expatiates on the health benefits of wearing shorts pants such as Lederhosen, and boasts of having gone about in Lederhosen in the depth of winter. Apparently all that cold air getting up the shortened trouser-legs is supposed to have a beneficial effect on a man's secret parts.

On one occasion, recorded in the above book, Hitler threatened to create an elite formation of the SS dressed in Lederhosen, on the model of the British Highland regiments. Once again, all that cold air getting in under the kilt, supposed to make a man tougher and more warlike.

rkoy

C/I

Post by rkoy » 18 Apr 2002, 15:00

cephalic index hMMMMMMMMMm my family is pure german from the sud. barvarian. and we always heard of german s being described as sqaure head! as a matter of fact where i live now there is a high concentration of germans and the joke is to say that is where all the square heads live...so if in nazi germany you had to have a small head wouldnt that be sorta hard to get?

Annelie

Re: Hitler's Legs

Post by Annelie » 18 Apr 2002, 15:35

Michael Mills:

LOL

<On one occasion, recorded in the above book, Hitler threatened to create an elite formation of the SS dressed in Lederhosen, on the model of the British Highland regiments. Once again, all that cold air getting in under the kilt, supposed to make a man tougher and more warlike.?

LOL, I think maybe it may have done the opposite unless in warm climate.
I actuatly have a photo of someone in half uniform (shirt) and lederhosen.

Annelie

AgentBach

Post by AgentBach » 20 Dec 2002, 23:31

So than Hitler probably lacked upper boddy muscles, I would love to have arm wrestled him. :)

webtoy100

and fish!

Post by webtoy100 » 21 Dec 2002, 04:02

Not only did he have a strong aversion to meat, tobacco and alcohol, but he hated fish too!

So no steak, ciggies or booze, and a diet of boiled vegetables - no wonder he went totally nuts!

One considers that in July 1940 the top nazis might have all sat down and had a hearty supper to celebrate conquering France in four weeks, when 20 years earlier, four years of slaughter had not been enough.

Hitler and his gang could have had a lovely dinner of broadside of beef, or some fine veal, or wild boar sausages and mash, all washed down with finest claret recently 'acquired' from Daladier's cellar.

After supper, Hitler could have retired to the drawing room to listen to the piano, smoke fine cigars and drink finest Courvoisier. He might have pondered the great successes he had brought to his nation, and pondered
that one of the things he gained was the ability to have evening such as this - chatting with his senior generals about what they had achieved, and more importantly, making damn sure they didn't lose it all.

Unfortunately for Europe and of course him, contentment (as opposed to occasional happiness) for him was probably an impossible dream - he didnt know how to relax, and whereas most of his countrymen would have been happy with Hitler's situation in July 1940, he was not.

The fact that France possessed the greatest cuisine in the world, the finest wines and liquerues interested him not one jot. He cared about the U-boat bases at Lorient and the Renault factories so he could carry on what he seemed to enjoy most - fighting and killing. As he himself reported, after a dissolute youth, his days as a soldier were the best in his life and gave meaning to it.

It is instructive to compare him with some on the other side of the trenches such as Rupert Brook, Siegfried Sassoon and Wilfred Owen, who drew directly contradictory conclusions about the point of it all.

So instead of consolidating what he had that summer, Hitler IMMEDIATELY started planning an even more ambitious escapade &#8211; and one that would lead to his eventual destruction. Indeed, it is instructive that Goring urged strongly against the invasion of Russia, and as has been noted on this forum in the past, he is also the only top Nazi who ever seemed to look like he had some fun.

Indeed, as is well known he appreciated the finer things in the French culture, and literally took some of it back to Germany with him.

So I guess finally it would have been a lot better for everyone if Hitler had learned to enjoy the present and not obsess about the future and his role within it.

As has been noted in some of the above posts, he had a fear of death, not so much in a personal sense but in a national one &#8211; indeed his ego was such that they were one and the same in his mind. It is very notable that he passed his 50th birthday in April 1939 - four months later he was at war.

He was a man in a hurry, and given his obsession with heredity, must have known (partially correctly) that his mother&#8217;s cancer might one day be his own. He considered banning smoking it seems &#8211; the scientists were among the first to like smoking and cancer - but concluded it would be too unpopular.

I believe that his interest in cancer was such that it was reflected in medical science, and I think considerable strides were made in this area, doubtlessly sometimes with the help of less-than-willing &#8216;volunteers&#8217; &#8211; there is a book out on the subject, though I haven&#8217;t read it. -

The book is:

The Nazi War on Cancer
by Robert N. Proctor

This the amazon.com comment on it:

Amazon.com

Familiar as we are with the horrific history of Nazi medicine and science, it may come as a surprise to learn that the Nazi war against cancer was the most aggressive in the world. Robert N. Proctor's thought-provoking book, The Nazi War on Cancer recounts this little-known story. The Nazis were very concerned about protecting the health of the "Volk." Cancer was seen as a growing threat--and perhaps even held a special place in Adolf Hitler's imagination (his mother, Klara, died from breast cancer in 1907).

The Nazi doctors fought their war against cancer on many fronts, battling environmental and workplace hazards (restrictions on the use of asbestos) and recommending food standards (bans on carcinogenic pesticides and food dyes) and early detection ("men were advised to get their colons checked as often as they would check the engines of their cars..."). Armed with the world's most sophisticated tobacco-disease epidemiology--they were the first to link smoking to lung cancer definitively--Nazi doctors were especially passionate about the hazards of tobacco.

Hitler himself was a devout nonsmoker, and credited his political success to kicking the habit. Proctor does an excellent job of charting these anticancer efforts--part of what he terms "the 'flip side' of fascism"--and, along the way, touches on some unsettling issues. Can an immoral regime promote and produce morally responsible science? Or, in Proctor's words, "Do we look at history differently when we learn that ... Nazi health officials worried about asbestos-induced lung cancer? I think we do. We learn that Nazism was a more subtle phenomenon than we commonly imagine, more seductive, more plausible."

Proctor is no apologist--one of his earlier books, Racial Hygiene is a scathing account of Nazi atrocities--but he clearly wants to engage in the complex moral discussions surrounding the fascist production of science and Holocaust studies. Proctor's thorough research, excellent examples, and dozens of illustrations are complemented by his authoritative prose. The Nazi War on Cancer is a fine addition to the literature on both the Holocaust and the history of medicine. --C.B. Delaney --This text refers to the Hardcover edition.

WT.

Geiserik

Post by Geiserik » 22 Dec 2002, 05:13

According to Hitler´s sister Paula he probably became a vegetarian because of a stomach ailment. Check out the interview with Paula Wolff (Hitler) here: http://www.usd230.k12.ks.us/PICTT/eisen ... lff/1.html

Hitler had a typical appearance of an Austrian. Dark brown hair, blue eyes and 175 cm tall wich was about average height in those days. Hitler was slim in his youth, but became heavier and heavier as he grown older. I think he was quite fat in his last days.

Nagelfar

Post by Nagelfar » 22 Dec 2002, 05:34

I always thought he was somewhat gaunt and skeletal toward the end, unhealthily thin..

Return to “NSDAP, other party organizations & Government”