ID Request

Discussions on all aspects of the NSDAP, the other party organizations and the government. Hosted by Michael Miller & Igor Karpov.
Mark Costa

ID Request

Post by Mark Costa » 08 Jan 2018, 20:47

Can anyone ID the man in overcoat with white lapels standing next to Gauleiter Bürckel? This man is wearing an unusual overcoat. It is either a Luftwaffe or NSFK Generals overcoat but with a strange sleeve eagle and a strange visor cap. I do not recognize the uniform at all. Very few organizations used white/silver gray lapels. Thanks.

Mark Costa
Attachments
gl.jpg

mapugu

Re: ID Request

Post by mapugu » 09 Jan 2018, 17:43

The uniform is enigmatic, but the man looks like Fritz Schwitzgebel. So far, I only knew him as SA group leader or in SA uniform.
Schwitzgebel, Fritz, SA-Oberf.[AHFpicLH].jpg
Schwitzgebel, Fritz, SA-Oberf.[AHFpicLH].jpg (161.25 KiB) Viewed 636 times

Br. James

Post by Br. James » 09 Jan 2018, 21:32

While I can't identify "the man in overcoat with white lapels standing next to Gauleiter Bürckel" in the first photo above, I'd say he's wearing an SS greatcoat and holding a peaked cap. We can't see what his collar tabs look like, but another clue might be the fact that he's not wearing a cuff title...that may be an indication of which group within the SS he belonged to. Just my impression...

Cheers,

Br. James

Mark Costa

Post by Mark Costa » 10 Jan 2018, 01:51

Br. James:

It is definitely not an SS greatcoat. The collar tabs are white indicating a possible Luftwaffe uniform or maybe an RLB uniform of some sort. The hat insignia does not have any SS skull but seems to be a diamond shape. It could be an HJ Aeronautical Preparatory Technical Leaders uniform that wore leftover Luftwaffe style uniforms, but that is only a guess and those uniforms wore Luftwaffe eagles which this uniform does not have. That uniform is rarely seen. It may just be a combination of insignias from a couple of organizations, but it is definitely a generals rank uniform as the lapels suggest. I believe that Mapugu is correct in identifying him as Schwitzgebel. But nothing in his records suggest such any type of position for any RLB, NSFK, HJ uniform. Nor was he a member of the SS.

Mark

Br. James

Post by Br. James » 10 Jan 2018, 18:10

Thanks, Mark...just a guess on my part...!

Br. James

Return to “NSDAP, other party organizations & Government”