What do we know about the order in which Hitler and the other putschists marched?

Discussions on all aspects of the NSDAP, the other party organizations and the government. Hosted by Michael Miller & Igor Karpov.
GoeringsPetLion

What do we know about the order in which Hitler and the other putschists marched?

Post by GoeringsPetLion » 17 Jan 2019, 18:05

Scheubner-Richter, Hitler, Ludendorff and Göring marched in the first row. Scheubner-Richter walked next to Hitler.

Hermann Göring (1934), Germany Reborn, p. 62:
Beside Hitler marched General Ludendorff, and beside Ludendorff myself as commanding officer of the Storm Troops.
Fanny von Wilamowitz-Moellendorff (1943), Carin Göring , p. 65, as translated by myself:
Right up front in the centre Hitler, next to him Ludendorff, Göring and all the others.
Ian Kershaw (1998), Hitler 1889–1936, p. 211:
Had the bullet which killed Scheubner-Richter been a foot to the right [i.e. to Scheubner-Richter’s left], history would have taken a different course.
-> Did Scheubner-Richter walk to Hitler’s right? In the commemorations of the putsch, Göring always walked to Hitler’s right.

Unfortunately, we don’t have any photos of the first row.
Last edited by GoeringsPetLion on 18 Jan 2019, 09:18, edited 1 time in total.

GregSingh

Re: What do we know about the order in which Hitler and the other putschists marched?

Post by GregSingh » 18 Jan 2019, 00:33

According to Hitler's medical files, he had fractured his left scapula during the Putsch.
That happened when falling Scheubner-Richter dragged Hitler down with him.
It means Scheubner-Richter was on Hitler's left, his right arm tangled with Hitler's left one.

Now, English Wikipedia's entry for Scheubner-Richter states that Hitler's right shoulder was dislocated. I don't think this is correct.
Also it all depends from where you look. From the shooting soldiers point of view, Scheubner-Richter was on Hitler's right. :D

GoeringsPetLion

Re: What do we know about the order in which Hitler and the other putschists marched?

Post by GoeringsPetLion » 18 Jan 2019, 09:47

GregSingh wrote:
18 Jan 2019, 00:33
According to Hitler's medical files, he had fractured his left scapula during the Putsch.
This would mean that Kershaw is likely wrong.

His Hitler biography is not as reliable as people think. Example: In the biography, it says thar Hitler had a riding-whip. But it was a dog-whip.

D-General

Post by D-General » 21 Jan 2019, 14:50

Hello, basing of the information I know of as of now, I have managed to somehow form an image of the order the people in the beer hall putsch marched in. Hopefully this may help give you a clearer picture. Have a nice day.
Attachments
1F2682EE-42F6-4B52-A9D2-59B9C7627C7B.jpeg
"Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning."(Erwin Rommel)

GoeringsPetLion

Post by GoeringsPetLion » 31 Jan 2019, 00:17

D-General wrote:
21 Jan 2019, 14:50
Hopefully this may help give you a clearer picture.
Great. I think you are the first to have done such a chart.

GoeringsPetLion

Post by GoeringsPetLion » 01 Feb 2019, 17:10

Anyhow, I think that Greg is right.

Right drawing (from left to right): Ludendorff’s servant (looks similar to Streicher :) ), Ludendorff, Hitler; drawn by a newspaper illustrator, 1923
Left drawing (from left to right): drawn by Hitler, Landsberg, June 1924

Source: https://www.bartfmdroog.com/droog/niod/ ... ages6.html (Here you find many other interesting Hitler drawings).

Putsch commemoration, 9 November 1933. Göring is on Hitler’s right.

Witness statement:

Ulrich Graf: Ich war direkt hinter Hitler. Hitler war links von Ludendorff.
Translated: I was just behind Hitler. Hitler was to the left of Ludendorff.

Return to “NSDAP, other party organizations & Government”