Question(s) as to the position of Deputy Führer.

Discussions on all aspects of the NSDAP, the other party organizations and the government. Hosted by Michael Miller & Igor Karpov.
Account deleted

Question(s) as to the position of Deputy Führer.

Post by Account deleted » 07 Feb 2019, 14:59

The position of Deputy Führer (Stellvertreteder des Führers) was a position within the NSDAP, however I am aware that it had authorities within the Government as well, I am specifically interested in the following:

1. What were the full Governmental powers which the position of Deputy Führer had within the Reich Government?

2. Would it have been possible for the position of Deputy Führer of the NSDAP to become Deputy Führer of the German Reich through the continued synchronization of the State and Party? If Hess was more politically adept, could he have advanced the position to be more powerful?

Mark Costa

Re: Question(s) as to the position of Deputy Führer.

Post by Mark Costa » 07 Feb 2019, 16:43

The office of Deputy Fuhrer had very little responsibilities within the Gov't sector. Hess did sit on the Secret Cabinet Council which was more war and foreign policy oriented. Hess did have rank as a Reichsminister without portfolio but had little to do, as it was more a formality situation. Hess' office did write the Nuremberg Laws of 1935 that were implemented throughout the Reich but this was early on. As far as the Deputy Fuhrer becoming the DF of the Reich, I would say no. It is notable that Hess was ranked behind Goering in the 1940 official list of succession to Hitler if anything happened to him. Hess certainly could have advanced his position but his time during the 1930's was spent holding off several Reichsleiters from taking over areas of responsibilities. Ley and Rosenberg especially were always trying to take over areas and duties away from the office of DF but were thwarted time and again by Hess' Stableiter Martin Bormann. There was a lot struggle going on in the party during 1930's to these areas of responsibilities and the gauleiters themselves did not like the fact that they had to report of the Office of the DF. They always felt that they did not have to report to Hess because they were appointed by Hitler not Hess.

If you haven't already, I suggest you read Dietrich Orlow book on the history of the NSDAP. It covers all these questions and lots more.

Mark Costa

Return to “NSDAP, other party organizations & Government”