Another Deputy Gauleiter ID Needed

Discussions on all aspects of the NSDAP, the other party organizations and the government. Hosted by Michael Miller & Igor Karpov.
Mark Costa

Another Deputy Gauleiter ID Needed

Post by Mark Costa » 17 Jul 2019, 01:57

I have a photo of a man who is supposed to be Friedrich Thimel with the mustache. But the photos I have of Thimel show a completely different man entirely. Does anyone know who the other man could be?? It is possible he is an honorary Deputy Gauleiter or a Gau Party Court Chairman. Two photos of the real Thimel are shown here one in SS uniform and the other in PL uniform. Thanks.

Mark Costa
Attachments
WHO.jpg
WZH7.jpg
Thimel.JPG
Thimel.JPG (77 KiB) Viewed 4000 times

Michael Miller
Forum Staff

Re: Another Deputy Gauleiter ID Needed

Post by Michael Miller » 17 Jul 2019, 02:05

I would agree, first man is not Thimel, and wears ribbons probably for World War I service that Thimel could not have received.
He looks familiar but I can't put a name to him, unfortunately.
Absolutely exquisite portrait, whoever he is. Very dark cloth on his collar tabs, I think; I'd go so far as to say black.

~ Mike

Nicolas7507

Post by Nicolas7507 » 17 Jul 2019, 11:48

The first three ribbons on the ribbon bar of the first man represent austrian WW1 awards, thus he has to be an austrian citizen.

Best regards,
Nicolas

Michael Miller
Forum Staff

Post by Michael Miller » 17 Jul 2019, 14:44

I believe the man in the first photo is Hugo Herzog. Here's a comparison photo, taken ca. 1927.

15.05.1927-01.09.1927 (geschäftsführender) Stellvertretender Gauleiter of Gau Kärnten der NSDAP
01.09.1927-01.02.1933 Gauleiter of Gau Kärnten der NSDAP

May I ask the source of the photo? I'd like very much to use it in "Gauleiter, Volume 4" (pre-Anschluss Austrian Gauleiter chapter).

Best wishes,
~ Mike
Attachments
Herzog_01.jpg
Herzog_01.jpg (18.49 KiB) Viewed 3752 times

Mark Costa

Post by Mark Costa » 17 Jul 2019, 15:34

Mike:

That is the man. Which means at some point in the late 1930's he was given the right to wear a uniform of a Retired/Honorary Deputy Gauleiter. As uniforms were illegal in Austria before 1938 he would not have worn or have been considered an official DG. You need to add him to the list of those honorary men. I came across the photo postcard on a auction site several years ago. Can't remember the name of it. Not sure what the rules are on things like that. Can't wait for Volume 3. Right now I am going back through photos trying to identify some DG's that I can't put a name to. They are more than I thought. You will be seeing more requests for ID's from me in the coming days. Thanks again. Best Wishes !

Mark

Michael Miller
Forum Staff

Post by Michael Miller » 17 Jul 2019, 16:05

Mark~

In Volume 4, men like Herzog will be relegated to a section on pre-1938, mostly illegal Gauleiter.
The rest of the content will be all the deputy Gauleiter.

Keep in touch. Always glad to help and of course you've always been a huge support to this project.

Best wishes,
~ Mike
[email protected]

Mark Costa

Post by Mark Costa » 31 Mar 2021, 18:49

I am resurrecting this thread to make a correction. After much searching for information on Hugo Herzog, and the original photo shown at the top of this thread, I have concluded that Herzog is actually shown as a Gaurichter and NOT an honorary deputy gauleiter as once thought. There is no documentation known that shows him ever being awarded the Honorary/retired rank of a Deputy Gauleiter. However it has come to light that Hugo Herzog was in fact a Gaurichter in Gau Carinthia under Friedrich Rainer. The photo above therefore shows him in the uniform of a Gaurichter. Although he was once an illegal DG he would not have been able to wear the uniform of one without permission. The photo above obviously taken in the late 1930's or even wartime shows him wearing a Party Court uniform instead. In my opinion his name needs to be removed from the list of honorary/retired DG's.

Mark Costa

Return to “NSDAP, other party organizations & Government”