Leaders

Discussions on all aspects of the NSDAP, the other party organizations and the government. Hosted by Michael Miller & Igor Karpov.
Richard

Leaders

Post by Richard » 11 May 2002, 20:25

Hi everyone,

I have a keen intersted in Nazi History, i am currently taking my GCSE's. I know who each leader was (hitler,himmler,roehm,gobbels e.t.c) and have read Mein Kampf (very errr ) and was wondering who all the famous/leaders were in nazi history.

Thanks

Benjamin Fanjoy
Banned

Post by Benjamin Fanjoy » 11 May 2002, 21:17

Well you can start with:

-Von Ribbentrop

-Herman Goering

Michael Miller
Forum Staff

internet resources...

Post by Michael Miller » 11 May 2002, 22:04

You may find the website Axis Biographical Research at http://www.geocities.com/~orion47 a useful source of information on leaders of the NSDAP, SS, SA, Wehrmacht, etc.

You might also find some worthwhile info. at the Axis Biographical Research forum.

Best wishes,
~ Mike Miller
Axis Biographical Research
http://www.geocities.com/~orion47

LAH

Post by LAH » 12 May 2002, 00:21

Albert Speer is a facinating character to study.

A man of many talents

adrian

Post by adrian » 12 May 2002, 00:52

G'day,
Albert Speer - an enigma wrapped in a mystery shrouded by contradictions. What an interesting man indeed! AH's favourite? Or an extremely reliable functionary? Gitta Serevnay's biography is a great read for this man. Was he being groomed for the top slot at the corporation? I think so, thousands mightn't but I do. :wink:

best regards,
adrian

Benoit Douville

Post by Benoit Douville » 12 May 2002, 01:01

The most famous Nazi leader to study are:

-Hitler
-Heydrich
-Speer
-Goebbels
-Höss

Gwynn Compton

Post by Gwynn Compton » 12 May 2002, 01:38

Himmler is another one you can add to that list, and as mentioned, Goring. Looking at some of the top figures in the Wehrmacht is also interesting.

One thing that sticks in my mind is Manstein encouraging his soldiers to carry out the illegal Barbarossa orders against Communists and Jews, and then in his post war memoirs, there was no mention of this.... :?

MVSNConsolegenerale

Goebbels by far...

Post by MVSNConsolegenerale » 12 May 2002, 02:01

I pretty much think Goebbels was the most interesting in my studies. One of the only relatively 'highly educated' of the old gaurd and born to the upper crust - he was exactly the person who the republic wanted...and he was until he got involved with the Nazi Party.

Specifically, when he got involved with Hitler himself...he went from being a 'romantic german' in the classic sense to one of the most notorious womanizers of the entire nazi time period. A virgin until 36!

from an pro-jewish mindset to an anti-semite over night, also! He was able to recall jewish professor friends even during the concentration camp days and spoke of them openly! People knew that he was one of the most visciously anti-jewish nazis and in the highest circle of the party, yet he was able to somehow seperate individual jews from the 'jewish organism'.

I've been trying to get a copy of his diary. never seem to be able to find one though.

Benoit Douville

Post by Benoit Douville » 12 May 2002, 03:13

Gwynn Compton,

Are you refering to the book "lost victories" It is indeed very surprising that there is no mention of it concerning the illegal Barbarossa orders.

Regards

Galahad

Re: Nazi Leaders

Post by Galahad » 12 May 2002, 06:00

Speer and Goering are the most interesting Nazis to me. Speer because of his efficiency, which same wasn't a hallmark of the Nazi style of government, and Goering because it was interesting how a man of his intelligence could go from genuine national hero to comic opera buffoon; I think the Peter Principle might apply to him.
Re the Goebels Diary.....try submitting a request through Interlibrary Loan. I once got a copy of a scarce book of maps that way; there were only two known copies in North America. The Goebels will be a piece of cake compared to that. And it DOES make interesting reading.

Gwynn Compton

Post by Gwynn Compton » 12 May 2002, 07:32

Are you refering to the book "lost victories" It is indeed very surprising that there is no mention of it concerning the illegal Barbarossa orders.
Indeed, and it is a perfect example of why memoirs and the like must be taken very carefully. Antony Beevor in Stalingrad noted this example, and also pointed out how Manstein had encouraged his soldiers to carry out the orders.

I personally find Rommel an interesting Wehrmacht leader to study.

MVSNConsolegenerale

I almost forgot.

Post by MVSNConsolegenerale » 12 May 2002, 23:06

Hydrich of the SD...now that was an interesting character.

I read a very interesting book on him...can't remember it's name!...but he was perhaps one of the darkest personages in the entire third reich.

There was this one 'eye-witness' story that had been circling around during his height of power...that one day he had gone out drinking with some sd friends...saw himself in the mirror and said "I've got you you bastard!" and emptied his sidearm into the mirror.

Return to “NSDAP, other party organizations & Government”