What is this Half-Length Variation of the Swastika? (Finland)

Discussions on all aspects of the NSDAP, the other party organizations and the government. Hosted by Michael Miller & Igor Karpov.
blackmetalhistorian

What is this Half-Length Variation of the Swastika? (Finland)

Post by blackmetalhistorian » 24 Nov 2022, 04:51

So I was reading about Finland's involvement in WW2 and know that they got Germany's assistance against the Soviet Union, specifically receiving a handful of Stug III tanks. On these tanks, at least in the image I found, were non-tilted swastikas with much shorter arms.
I know Finland used swastikas a while before Hitler adopted it, so my question is:
Are these a variation of the swastika designed by the Nazis? If so, where can I look for more information of it. If not, is it Finland's design?
Thank you!

Hans1906
Banned

Re: What is this Half-Length Variation of the Swastika? (Finland)

Post by Hans1906 » 24 Nov 2022, 15:42

Hi blackmetalhistorian,

the article in the english Wikipedia is very informative, also about the variant from Finland:

Western use of the swastika in the early 20th century: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_u ... th_century

The Finnish users here in the forum will certainly be able to report and tell you a lot more... :wink:

Hans
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

blackmetalhistorian

Post by blackmetalhistorian » 25 Nov 2022, 09:58

Hans1906 wrote:
24 Nov 2022, 15:42
Hi blackmetalhistorian,

the article in the english Wikipedia is very informative, also about the variant from Finland:

Western use of the swastika in the early 20th century: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_u ... th_century

The Finnish users here in the forum will certainly be able to report and tell you a lot more... :wink:

Hans
Amazing, thank you for the link. So yes I see that it was "used as marking for Finnish military vehicles". Specifically, it seems to be called the "fylfot"!

If anyone could clarify, then, was it the Finnish themselves that decided to put this symbol on their tanks? Or did the Nazis make that decision? That's all I'm curious about now.

Thank you!

Waleed Y. Majeed

Post by Waleed Y. Majeed » 25 Nov 2022, 10:11

The Finnish themselves.

Waleed

blackmetalhistorian

Post by blackmetalhistorian » 25 Nov 2022, 23:14

Waleed Y. Majeed wrote:
25 Nov 2022, 10:11
The Finnish themselves.

Waleed
Thank you for the answer! Cheers!

Return to “NSDAP, other party organizations & Government”