Third Reich Economy

Discussions on all aspects of the NSDAP, the other party organizations and the government. Hosted by Michael Miller & Igor Karpov.
GrossDeutschland

Third Reich Economy

Post by GrossDeutschland » 14 May 2002, 20:37

I'm failing an economics course, so the teacher is allowing me to write an economics paper dealing with WWII. Anyone know of any good English sites concerning the German economy, or any other economy during the war? Thanks and

Regards

GD

Martin Månsson

Post by Martin Månsson » 14 May 2002, 21:58

Hi,

Don't know any sites but I do know a book called "The experience of World War II" which contains:

* International perspective, with equal weight given to the European and Pasific Theaters

* Thorough coverage of the social and economic history of the war years

* Informative and up to date text by leading historians

etc etc.

Semi large format with 256 pages. Have it for sale, in mint condition if you are interested. To be honest, I've never read it myself, got it from a friend once but not my topic, therefore never read.

If interested contact me on: [email protected]

Best
Martin

Gwynn Compton

Post by Gwynn Compton » 15 May 2002, 10:00

I recommend getting down to your local library and searching through histories of the Second World War. They'll provide roughly the figures you'll need, and be a far quicker method.

What level of schooling are you in? High School or University studies?

Important things to focus on are (in my opinion)

War Supply - Shipping of goods, the need of rail and truck transport, output of factories, especially interesting are the might of American output, the resurgence of German output under Speer, and the effects of the relocation of Russian factories to beyond the Urals.
War Demand - The importance of ball bearings, oil, rationing systems are all important aspects of this.
Economic Planning - Looking at the aspect of Total War from the Allies and Russians from the start, while it took the Germans till 1943 to impliment a policy of total war (was it 1943? I'm fairly sure it was)

Any other suggestions?

Phaethon

Re: Third Reich Economy

Post by Phaethon » 15 May 2002, 11:10

GrossDeutschland wrote:I'm failing an economics course, so the teacher is allowing me to write an economics paper dealing with WWII. Anyone know of any good English sites concerning the German economy, or any other economy during the war? Thanks and

Regards

GD
Try and find this book in your library:

Weimar and Nazi Germany
by Chris Hinton, John Hite
Pub. John Murray (London)
Part of the Schools History Project

Has a chapter entitled "How Successful Was Nazi Economic Policy?"

Here's the Amazon.co.uk link (Why doesn't Amazon.com have any interesting books :( ):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... 0-1922837

Not saying you should buy it, but the link will give you ISBN numbers etc.

Cheers

K.

Pumpkin

Post by Pumpkin » 15 May 2002, 11:42

If you want some quick data from the web, there are quite a few tables with physical goods data and some articles at http://members.tripod.com/~Sturmvogel/WarEcon.html.

See also, of course, http://www.skalman.nu/third-reich/statistics.htm and other parts of the fact book.

Allison Webster

Re: Third Reich Economy

Post by Allison Webster » 17 May 2002, 12:44

Phaethon wrote:Try and find this book in your library:

Weimar and Nazi Germany
by Chris Hinton, John Hite
Pub. John Murray (London)
Part of the Schools History Project

Has a chapter entitled "How Successful Was Nazi Economic Policy?"
This is a really good book to use to find any info about the Weimar and Nazi economies. I have been using this book for 2 years for my AS and A2 levels, and it has helped me alot.

ali :D

GrossDeutschland

Post by GrossDeutschland » 18 May 2002, 05:09

Thanks for the help, fellows.

Return to “NSDAP, other party organizations & Government”