The Art of War by Sun Tzu

Discussions on all aspects of the NSDAP, the other party organizations and the government. Hosted by Michael Miller & Igor Karpov.
weiwensg

The Art of War by Sun Tzu

Post by weiwensg » 25 May 2002, 15:07

I was wondering if Hitler ever read the famous Art of War by Sun Tzu. If so, did he believe in the book follow its advice in his military campaigns?

btw. I am currently doing a school project which requires the you to write a sequel to the book. Any suggestions?

Pumpkin

Post by Pumpkin » 25 May 2002, 15:35

Wow, what a school project: write a sequel to the Art of War by Sun Tzu!

I'm really not knowledgable about military strategy, but during Barbarossa, Hitler insisted on achieving economic targets, rather than only destroying the enemies forces. It is hardly so new, since supplying an army off the land it occupies has been necessary at least since the middle ages ended (when the knight's days were counted, the armies grew in size and needed more supplies). But maybe Barbarossa represents a matured integration of military-economic-political aspects in the overall strategy. Hitler himself might have added racial aspects as a new component of warfare.

Andy H
Forum Staff

Post by Andy H » 25 May 2002, 22:10

If Hitler ever read Tzu he missed out the Chapter on Initiative & Flexibility in War plus large chunks of others.

Tzu is still studied today as his basic concepts from around 500BC can still be applied in todays modern battlefield environment.

In regards to a sequel how about Sun Tzu " The Art of War" 20th Century Style. Focus on a recent conflict and see how Tzu principles can still been seen in action today etc.

Just my pennies worth

:D Andy from the Shire

weiwensg

writing 20th century art of war

Post by weiwensg » 26 May 2002, 10:46

"In regards to a sequel how about Sun Tzu " The Art of War" 20th Century Style. Focus on a recent conflict and see how Tzu principles can still been seen in action today etc. "

Thanks for your suggestion, but personally I think that would cause it to lose its flavour. However, I think it is worth thinking about. Do you have any way to preserve the 'flavour' of the book while doing so?

Matt Gibbs

Arts of War

Post by Matt Gibbs » 27 May 2002, 12:44

Sun Tzu's book was a fantastic read for me. The basic principles and guidelines for warfare contained in there are still relevant I think. A sequel usually contains further information or revisions and goes further along the theme of a first work so you might like to consider some of the things which should be contained in it but aren't..? Perhaps some consideration of the political aims and what happens after the conclusion of a war, the aftermath and dealing with it..?
It's a long time since I read it - indeed I might have to pull a copy and reread! Good luck with the project though!
Regards
Matt G

Phaethon

Re: The Art of War by Sun Tzu

Post by Phaethon » 27 May 2002, 15:55

weiwensg wrote:I am currently doing a school project which requires the you to write a sequel to [Art of War by Sun Tzu]. Any suggestions?
Call it the "Art of Peace". Often the best thing you can do after a war as victor is treat the defeated peoples firmly but with respect and compassion. If this had been done after WWI it would have done much to remove the causes behind the rise of German nationalism, Adolf would have settled down and become a famous postcard painter :wink: and WWI would have been won before it happened.

Cheers

K.

Ken Cocker
London

Return to “NSDAP, other party organizations & Government”