Instruments Hitler played [piano]

Discussions on the music in the Third Reich. Hosted by Ivan Ž.
August

Instruments Hitler played [piano]

Post by August » 30 Oct 2003, 10:18

[Topic entitled "Did Hitler play violin?" renamed by the host, Ivan Ž.]

Someone told me that AH loved to play violin in mountainside. Is it true?

White Leopard

Post by White Leopard » 30 Oct 2003, 18:43

Hitler took some piano lessons in his youth and could manage a tune or two. But he wasn't Van Cliburn by any stretch of the imagination.

Roderick

Post by Roderick » 30 Oct 2003, 23:00

What Hitler played was the piano.
In October 1906 (17 years of age) Hitler began piano study with the same Kubizek's instructor.
According to Paula Hitler, her brother "Adi was applied, and with very long periods on the piano Heitzmann"
Would you dare to see the führer playing the piano? :oops:

Roderick

VanillaNuns

Post by VanillaNuns » 21 Sep 2020, 16:46

Never knew that Hitler was a piano player. Still learning new things every day which is great. Just shows how informative and valuable this site is.

Unlike most people though, I do consider him to be a talented artist. Not someone destined for great things but certainly well above average and he had good reason to be angry about being twice snubbed by the Academy of Fine Arts in Vienna.

A decision based on snobbery rather than lack of artistic merit.

GoeringsPetLion

Post by GoeringsPetLion » 22 Sep 2020, 15:49

I doubt that Hitler ever played a melody on a violin. Maybe his youth friend August Kubizek showed him some things on the violin. Kubizek began to practice violin at the age of 9, and was surely an excellent violinist. He also mastered trumpet and trombone, and became a conductor.

According to Kubizek in his book The Young Hitler I Knew (German: Hitler, mein Jugendfreund), Hitler took piano lessons in Linz from Josef Prewratzky for some time ("it was certainly not a year", p. 76), and composed in Vienna part of an opera about the legendary figure Wayland the Smith (German: Wieland der Schmied; pp. 193-199). Read more at viewtopic.php?f=81&t=253489

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Re: Instruments Hitler played [piano]

Post by Ivan Ž. » 16 Nov 2020, 02:41

A number of off-topic posts have been removed, including a link to an auction selling a violin that (according to its very description) may not have belonged to Hitler at all (please read the descriptions more carefully the next time).

Ivan

Return to “Music of the Reich”