Rudolf Hess and his flight to Britain

Discussions on all aspects of the NSDAP, the other party organizations and the government. Hosted by Michael Miller & Igor Karpov.
cptstennes

Rudolf Hess and his flight to Britain

Post by cptstennes » 17 Jun 2002, 21:41

It is my opinion, based on fairly clear evidence, that Rudolf Hess was insane, and due to my bad typing, perhaps inane. By that I mean that he was a paranoid schizoprhenic nos( not otherwise specified) and flew to Britain because of his obsessions. He did not have Hitler's permission nor did Hitler have any pre-knowledge of his intended flight and that his reticence, reluctance and general silence had to do only with his madness. I also believe that he was not a suicide but that he was indeed done away with because he was a nuisance. That does not contradict the former. Regards, F.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 17 Jun 2002, 22:14

Welcome to the forum.

/Marcus

Phil V

Post by Phil V » 18 Jun 2002, 12:02

It was no secret that Hitler had a strong liking of the English people. It was his desrie to make peace with the English and invade them as a last resort. Hitler saw England as a good example of a power to emulate.

There is some annecdotal evidence that Hess was mentally unbalanced but there is also strong evidence to suggest that HESS's flight to England was Hilters last shot at achieving peace with England and when it failed Hitler distanced himself.

There is evidence on both sides of the story but nothing concrete to go strongly one way or the other.

During his trial at Nuremberg HESS feigned mental illness and admitted as much towards the end of his trial.

During his incarceration at Spandau it was also suggested that his mental illness came and went as it suited him (read Spandau : The
Secret Diaries by Speer for a good insight into this).

As for the death of HESS in Spandau. It is often suggested that he was murdered by SAS personel because he was about to be released and as the last high ranking Nazi of the inner circle he might create or initiate a new reich.

HESS's son (Wolf?) is the strongest advocate of HESS being murdered in prison.

The documentry on HESS by KNAPP features interviews with his aides who were with him when he died and they confirmed suicide.

There are many anomolies about HESS and there is a lot of evidence that is contradictory. In my opinion it goes both ways.

cptstennes

Hess

Post by cptstennes » 18 Jun 2002, 19:33

Here is a joke from that time in the Reich regarding Hess's flight. "The 1,000 year Reich is now the 100 Reich. Why? One less zero"
I think that when you look at Hitler's reaction to Hess's action, it is unlikely that he knew of let alone sanctioned the flight. Mental illness is progressive, and I think that, given the oddness of so many in Hitler's inner circle and given Hess's peculiar fixations, notably diet and poisoning, that he was seriously unbalanced. I do think that Bormann may have had an inkling about Hess's intentions. Certainly he benefited by it.
I considered the possibility that Hess was killed by someone or other but it seems to me that it is unlikely that anyone would murder a 90+ year old (maybe his dietary ideas were good)
Further, if Hitler wanted to make an approach to the British, there were more reasonable ways. Through Portugal, for example. Regards, F.

Siegfried Wilhelm
Location: Kleinkleckersdorf, NC, Confederate States of America

Post by Siegfried Wilhelm » 20 Jun 2002, 17:56

I think Hess saw his power slipping away to others and was desperate to do some showy thing to regain favor. I think too that the Third Reich leaders were not very realistic when it came to what the rest of the world thought of them. Look at the way Himmler was making 'feelers' at the end still thinking he would be allowed power after the surrender. Bormann thought much the same thing even though he had to have known that his only power came from his closeness to Hitler and that all the other Reich leaders hated and feared him. Even if the war hadn't ended badly Bomann's days were numbered in very low figures once Hitler was gone. (got off the subject a little there)
Anyway, I think Hess wan't particularly crazy, just deluded and desperate to do something--anything--to gain Hitlers attention and respect. I bet he actually thought someone in England would actually listen to him. Remember he would have been well aware that Hitler admired the English and thought highly of them.

cptstennes

Hess

Post by cptstennes » 20 Jun 2002, 23:55

I agree except that I still think that Hess was a nut. Regards, F.

Return to “NSDAP, other party organizations & Government”