Any information on Hitlerjugend (Hitler Youth) please?

Discussions on all aspects of the NSDAP, the other party organizations and the government. Hosted by Michael Miller & Igor Karpov.
RCR_Raider

Post by RCR_Raider » 04 Aug 2002 10:41

HitlerJugend troops were used on the western front near Caen.

They fought British and Canadian divisions in the days after D-day, and apparently inspired the regular troops with their valour.

There is a report of an incident of Canadian troops murdering Hitler Jugend POWs, although the only source on this is a very proud German-American guy in a political chatroom. I have no idea wheter or not it actually happened. If it did, I am sorry. :(

What I do know, is that on D-day, and the days afterwards, the Canadian divisions were ordered to take no prisoners as it would impede the advance (although the SS Panzer divisions also "impeded" the Canadian advance) The same order was given to the US 101 Airborne. As a result, the German commanders were ordered to take no prisoners from US 101 Airborne, or any Canadian troops.

Perhaps it was this order that lead to the murder of Canadian POWS by the SS. 22 men were shot, all members of the North Nove Scotia Highlanders.

Suffice to say. this wasnt the gentleman's war of the past

So yes, Hitler Youth were used in combat, even in July 1944, and they certainly were used in Germany's desperation of 1945.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 04 Aug 2002 10:47

See also the excellent "Hitlerjugend: An In-Depth History" article by Arvo L. Vercamer on this very site.
http://www.skalman.nu/third-reich/youth-historyof.htm

/Marcus

panzermannss

Post by panzermannss » 12 Aug 2002 06:27

Return to “NSDAP, other party organizations & Government”