The enigma of Rudolf Hess

Discussions on all aspects of the NSDAP, the other party organizations and the government. Hosted by Michael Miller & Igor Karpov.
Richard Miller

The enigma of Rudolf Hess

Post by Richard Miller » 27 Jul 2002 14:43

The events surrounding the life and death of Rudolf Hess, continue to be shrouded in mystery.
From his ill-fated flight to Scotland to his death in Spandau, the Hess saga remains a great mystery, still shrouded in official secrecy in the British archives.

Why did Hess feign lapse of memory throughout his incarceration?
Only when his death sentence was handed down at Nuremberg, did he claim total recall.

What information did Rudolf Hess possess that could be so damaging to the British that possibly led to murder?

Based on the information given below, it seem's to me that the British were intent on Hess never leaving Spandau alive, and covering up the events surrounding his death.

The initial autopsy report of Professor J.M. Cameron of the the London Hospital Medical College, Department of forensic Medicine, is certainly not indicative of the true condition of the ligature marks around Hess neck.
(It does indicate the possibility that Hess was struck in the head to incapacitate him though.)

Professor Cameron's Report can be viewed here
http://www.rudolf-hess.org/english/arch ... .php3?fs=8

“There was a circular bruised abrasion over the top of the back of the head and there was slight swelling (oedema) of the ankles. A fine linear mark, approximately 3in. (7.5 cms) in length and 0.75 cms in width was noted running across the left side of the neck, being more apparent when the body was viewed with ultraviolet light,”

Does this autopsy photo match the description of Professor Cameron?

The autopsy report of Professor W. Spann. Institute for Forensic Medicine
of the University of Munich, taken a short time later, gives a totally different view.

Professor Spann's Report can be viewed here.

“The body is now turned over and the neck inspected, where there is a double-track impression spanning the entire back of the neck and running almost horizontally. The double nature of the mark consists of two reddishly discoloured stripes of 1 cm width at the most, which enclose a pale stripe of up to 6 mm in width.”

He goes on to add…

“clearly defined, point-shaped congestive hemorrhages in the conjunctive membranes of the eyelids, in the vicinity of the ear and inside the subcutaneous layers of the scalp,”

Note: The presence of petechiae, which is indicated by the pinpoint hemorrhaging described above, is a good indicator of traumatic asphyxia. However, the presence of petichiae in itself does not indicate strangulation.

Professor Spann also notes…
“distinct swelling (edema) in the area of both lower legs,”

However, according to Professor Cameron’s findings,
“no measurable amount of Digoxin could be found in Hess’ toxicology analysis.”

Note:Digoxin (Digitalis) is a medication prescribed for Congestive Heart Failure, which the edema mentioned above is a symptom of.
Does this indicate a withholding of Hess heart medication?

The Affidavit of Abdallah Melaouhi, Hess male nurse, points to a far more sinister action than the official “suicide” story.

Reigo

Post by Reigo » 27 Jul 2002 15:53

Some years ago there was a documentary in TV about Hess ("Timewatch"-series). In this film several (or at least two) mysteries surrounding Hess were explored. I remember that most time of the show they explored the claim that it wasn't actually Hess who flew to England. (I hadn't even heard about this mystery before). Anyway in conclusion they seemed to prove that it was Hess who flew in England. Then they explored the claim that Hess was murdered. Well, the issue was left quite open - if you ask me they couldn't completely debunk the claim that Hess was murdered.

And what was really funny - I remember (and please somebody correct me if I don't remember it correctly) that at the very end of the documentary a guy in raincoat stepped front and said something like: well, we saw that it was Hess who flew to England. In the light of this our attitudes towards other mysteries surrounding Hess should be careful.

I would say that this film contained an attempt to influence TV-audience to think in one certain direction - "Come on, it is dumb to think that Hess was murdered."

LeighLancs

Post by LeighLancs » 27 Jul 2002 17:36

Now, all this is very well trodden ground.

To broaden the outlook a bit, what do you think his secrets were?

Why, even years after the war ended, was he kept in prison?

The Hess intrigue is the best tale I've ever heard of, real or fictional,

Richard Miller

Post by Richard Miller » 28 Jul 2002 02:32

LeighLancs wrote:Now, all this is very well trodden ground.

To broaden the outlook a bit, what do you think his secrets were?

Why, even years after the war ended, was he kept in prison?

The Hess intrigue is the best tale I've ever heard of, real or fictional,

I honestly don't know what his secrets were, if any.
Just as I don't know why he faked amnesia.

Perhaps he faked amnesia in an attempt to assure his captors that he would not divulge the reason he initially flew to Scotland for.
HE might have thought they would kill him outright otherwise.

Why was he kept in prison?
Many rumors and stories abound from him becoming a pariah to the Neo-Nazi movement, to Churchill and the War Cabinet being implicated in some intrigue with Germany. Again, I don't know.

What could be so damaging to Britian, that it became necessary to murder him?

David E M

Post by David E M » 31 Jul 2002 07:44

Consider this.. Britain was on its knees, no chance, a lot of the British 'Establishment' never wanted war with Germany, most of them would have come to terms with Hitler at the drop of a hat.
The Bank of England even financed Hitler before the war - via Montagu Norman - the bank of England chief.
Problem was, Churchill for whatever reason would have no part of it.
Answer - remove Churchill. This would mean a Coup D'Etat, almost unheard of in merry old England.
I believe that this was being planned, If the Hess flight had something to do with this I don't know. (but I think it did ).
Consider also that with 'Glasnost' there were indications that Hess was going to be released.
Most of the British 'Establishment' were still alive. It would cause untold embarassment to some members of the 'Establishment' to be known as 'Hitlerites' if Hess emerged from Spandau and told his story.
I don't know , but there could be Royalty involved here.
And if you think the British are not ruthless enough just remember you don't build the biggest empire the world has ever seen, by being nice to foreigners.
Conspiracy theory? of course it is!.
But there are far too many questions and dark areas that remain unexplored and far too many people asking for answers.
I believe some of the files have been closed untill 2045, even then, will they be 'Sanitized' before being released?.
There are too many questions that need answering.
I wish there were a way of forcing the British Government to 'come clean' after all, there cannot be any security considerations after all this time.
Unless, of course, he was murdered.
cheers.

Richard Miller

Post by Richard Miller » 31 Jul 2002 16:08

David E M wrote:Consider this.. Britain was on its knees, no chance, a lot of the British 'Establishment' never wanted war with Germany, most of them would have come to terms with Hitler at the drop of a hat.
The Bank of England even financed Hitler before the war - via Montagu Norman - the bank of England chief.
Problem was, Churchill for whatever reason would have no part of it.
Answer - remove Churchill. This would mean a Coup D'Etat, almost unheard of in merry old England.
I believe that this was being planned, If the Hess flight had something to do with this I don't know. (but I think it did ).
Consider also that with 'Glasnost' there were indications that Hess was going to be released.
Most of the British 'Establishment' were still alive. It would cause untold embarassment to some members of the 'Establishment' to be known as 'Hitlerites' if Hess emerged from Spandau and told his story.
I don't know , but there could be Royalty involved here.
And if you think the British are not ruthless enough just remember you don't build the biggest empire the world has ever seen, by being nice to foreigners.
Conspiracy theory? of course it is!.
But there are far too many questions and dark areas that remain unexplored and far too many people asking for answers.
I believe some of the files have been closed untill 2045, even then, will they be 'Sanitized' before being released?.
There are too many questions that need answering.
I wish there were a way of forcing the British Government to 'come clean' after all, there cannot be any security considerations after all this time.
Unless, of course, he was murdered.
cheers.

Along the same lines,
I believe that Churchill expressed some anti-semitic views in his early days as a writer.
Could it be that Churchill did not want his dirty laundry aired?

I also believe that Edward VI had a particular fondness for the Nazi's. didn't he?

Perhaps Britain feared Jewish reprisals should they be shown to be complicit in any conspiracy.

spence___

Post by spence___ » 16 Aug 2002 13:45

In regards to his memory lapses, i remember hearing that it was because the English had given him all sorts of un-proven medical/pyschological treatments in an attempt to extract information from him.

I don't think the english wouldve killed him as i dont think he was the threat you make him out to be. Plus if the british government really wanted him dead, im sure they couldve done a much better job of it (poisoning his food/make it look like a heart attack or stroke).

Who else wouldve liked to see him dead? anyone believe in the possibilty of him being killed by israeli mossad?

HaEn
In memoriam

Hess

Post by HaEn » 16 Aug 2002 15:07

And at the risk of sounding redundant: NOBODY has ever explained why the Hess who fought in WWI and had had a lungshot, which left scars, had them, while the "Hess' who died in Spandau did NOT have this scar. also the left side of the neck on the photo looks as if a wound had been sloppily sutured; just some observation. HN

Ovidius

Re: Hess

Post by Ovidius » 16 Aug 2002 15:15

HaEn wrote:And at the risk of sounding redundant: NOBODY has ever explained why the Hess who fought in WWI and had had a lungshot, which left scars, had them, while the "Hess' who died in Spandau did NOT have this scar. also the left side of the neck on the photo looks as if a wound had been sloppily sutured; just some observation.

At the risk of sounding also redundant, because it's the third time I ask this: NOBODY has ever explained why were they going to "judge" the "false Hess" in Nuremberg, sentence him to something else than death and kill them only after decades. Far simpler would have been to liquidate him secretly :D

~Ovidius

Mark Costa

Hess

Post by Mark Costa » 16 Aug 2002 17:38

To throw some bones into the fire.
Some of the "secrets" suppossedly were, that while Winston was flashing the "V" sign and "fighting in the fields, farms and villages", he and his government was trying to work out an agreement with Hitler. He is said to have tried this through his friend Mussolini. Churchill corresponded with Benito and it is said that Winnie tried desperately to find those letters at the end of the war. So much so in fact, that Benito was suppossedly shot by British agents and not the communists as has been purported --but that is another story. Mussolini assured his fellow fascists that Winston would make sure he wasn't harmed if the Axis fell.

Winston put out feelers to the German Government and Hess was tapped by Adolf to test the waters. Hess was looking for such an assignment to get himself back into the graces of the Fuhrer. Unfortuantely for Hess --- Adolf goes and invades Russia within 2 weeks of his flight, and Winston now doesn't have to worry anymore about cutting deals ---as he has his second front.

Why would the prime minister of Great Britian NOT see or at least speak to the Deputy Fuhrer of Germany ???? Does that seem right ?? Of course not !!!! One would think that he would have jumped at the chance to talk to Hess. But he didn't --- as far the as the "official line" says.

And on the other side -- Hitler for all his boasting --couldn't admit to his own people that he was possibly negotiating with the enemy, as he had been telling them --he would crush Britian. It was "save face time" for both sides.

While all of Hess' aides were being round up --- do you think Martin Bormann --- Hess' Chief of Staff --- would not know of his bosses comings and going ????? Of course he did. And if Bormann knew --- why wasn't he locked up either ???? Simple --- it was a Fuhrer directed mission. It failed and Adolf hung Rudolf out to dry. Hess was the fall guy for both sides.

Britain can't release him -- Rudolf would get a book deal, movie, and be on every daytime and nightime talk show from LA to China. He would be spewing his guts from one end of the earth to the other. And the precious sacred British Myths of World War II would be destroyed.

Best Regards,

Mark

Alex F.

Re: Hess

Post by Alex F. » 16 Aug 2002 17:41

Ovidius wrote:
HaEn wrote:And at the risk of sounding redundant: NOBODY has ever explained why the Hess who fought in WWI and had had a lungshot, which left scars, had them, while the "Hess' who died in Spandau did NOT have this scar. also the left side of the neck on the photo looks as if a wound had been sloppily sutured; just some observation.

At the risk of sounding also redundant, because it's the third time I ask this: NOBODY has ever explained why were they going to "judge" the "false Hess" in Nuremberg, sentence him to something else than death and kill them only after decades. Far simpler would have been to liquidate him secretly :D

~Ovidius

That's right, don't think outside the box. It's nice and safe inside the box, isn't it?

Alex

Caldric

Post by Caldric » 16 Aug 2002 17:44

Don't scars and such fade with age? And what is the real point of keeping a man a live for decades to just kill him later? Makes no sense, why not just hang him with his comrades.

Mark Costa

Post by Mark Costa » 16 Aug 2002 17:50

You can't just kill someone when there are three other super powers guarding him the rest of the year. It was better to keep him locked up forever. At the trial it was the British that wanted to hang him not the Russians. the British had to go along with whatever verdict the rest of the powers came up with.

As far as scars etc. It has already been proved that scars do heal themselves, Bullet wounds in other people hace faded especially ones after 60 years.

White Leopard

Testimony for the Defense

Post by White Leopard » 16 Aug 2002 18:45

"Even while Hitler was deep in the plans for the Russian campaign, his mind was already dwelling on theatrical effects for the victory parades of 1950, once the grand boulevard and the great triumphal arch had been completed. But while he dreamed of new wars, new victories and celebrations, he suffered one of the greatest defeats of his career. Three days after a talk with me in which he had outlined more of his conceptions of the future, I was called to Obersalzberg with my sketches. Waiting in the anteroom at the Berghof, pale and agitated, were Leitgen and Pintsch, two of Hess's adjutants. They asked if I would let them see Hitler first; they had a personal letter from Hess to transmit to him. At this moment Hitler decended from his room upstairs. One of the adjutants was called into the salon. While I began leafing through my sketches once more, I suddenly heard an inarticulate, almost animal outcry. Then Hitler roared: 'Bormann, at once! Where is Bormann?' Bormann was told to get in touch with Goering, Ribbentrop, Goebbels, and Himmler by the fastest possible means. All private guests were confined to the upper floor. Many hours passed before we learned what had happened: Hitler's deputy had flown to England.

Superfically, Hitler soon appeared to have regained his usual composure. What bothered him was that Churchill might use the incident to pretend to Germany's allies that Hitler was extending a peace feeler. 'Who will believe me when I say that Hess did not fly there in my name and that the whole thing is not some sort of intrigue behind the backs of my allies?' Japan might even alter her policy because of this, he fretted. He put through a phone call to Ernst Udet, the famous First World War fighter pliot...and wanted to know wheather the two-motored plane Hess was using could reach it's goal in Scotland and what weather conditions it would encounter. After a brief interval Udet called back to say that Hess was bound to fail for navigational reasons alone; because of the prevailing side winds he would probably fly past England and into empty space. For a moment Hitler regained hope: 'If only he would drown in the North Sea! Then he would vanish without a trace, and we could work out some harmless explaination at our leisure.' But after a few hours his anxieties returned, and in order to anticipate the British in any case he decided to announce over the radio that Hess had gone mad. The two adjutants, however, were arrested---as the harbingers of bad news used to be at the courts of ancient despots..."

Speer's description of Hitler's reaction to the news of Hess's flight is hardly that of a man who knew all about it in advance: ".I suddenly heard an inarticulate, almost animal outcry...", "Then Hitler roared..." Not the reaction of a man expecting such information. And then there is Hitler's subsequent comment: "If only he would drown in the North Sea!" Rather a strange sentiment for an old and long-time commerade who had done you a service, don't you think? I haven't read anything that makes me doubt Speer's descriptions of an upset and unhappily surprised Hitler at finding out about what Hess was up to. What ever shennigans the British may have had with Hess after he landed on their doorstep, I don't think that Hitler had a clue at what Hess was doing. Hess repeatedly said so himself. On that fact his memory never waivered.

Phil V
Financial supporter

Post by Phil V » 17 Aug 2002 07:32

Speer also spends some time elloborating on Hess in his book "Spandau : The secret Diaries".

Interesting stuff.

Return to “NSDAP, other party organizations & Government”