Hitler and the German-Roman Empire

Discussions on all aspects of the NSDAP, the other party organizations and the government. Hosted by Michael Miller & Igor Karpov.
Walther Darré

Hitler and the German-Roman Empire

Post by Walther Darré » 08 Aug 2002, 14:30

Did Hitler want to reestablish the "Holy Roman Empire of German Nation"?

verbe

Post by verbe » 08 Aug 2002, 14:58

Apparently it was one of his many "fancies" since he told Goebbels he wished to incorporate Burgandy and Switzerland after the war. I read this recently in Ian Kershaw's Nemesis.
TV

Oswald Mosley

Re: Hitler and the German-Roman Empire

Post by Oswald Mosley » 08 Aug 2002, 20:50

Walther Darré wrote:Did Hitler want to reestablish the "Holy Roman Empire of German Nation"?
In a sense, yes. Hitler always preferred the first Reich to the second, and particularly admired the German emperors Frederick 'Barbarossa' and Frederick II. He often mentioned that the alliance with Italy made sense because it recalled the time when the two countries were united in one empire under a German emperor. Although Hitler claimed Burgundy and other parts of eastern France, the ultimate aim was to incorporate all of France into this empire (which would include Belgium and Holland, and eventually Switzerland too).

Linlu

Post by Linlu » 09 Aug 2002, 16:28

Hi all,

I don't know about Hitler wanting to re-establish the Holy Roman Empire, but he certainly did want to establish a Germanic empire. I would say that he not only wanted to conquer all the lands of the old Holy Roman Empire but also the vast land mass of Russia for resettlement.

Here's an excerpt from "Hitler's Table Talk" that is related to this topic:

"What are two thousands years in the life of peoples? Egypt, the Greek world, Rome were dominant in turn.

To-day we're renewing that tradition. The Germanic race is gaining more and more. The number of Germanics
has considerably increased in the last two thousand years, and it's undeniable that the race is getting better-looking. IT's enough to see the children.

We ought not to expose ourselves to the mirage of the southern countries. It's the speciality of the Italians. Their climate has a softening effect on us. In the same way, southern man cannot resist our climate.

Fifty years ago, in the Crimea, nearly half the soil was still in German hands. Basically, the population consisted firstly of the Germanic element, of Gothic origin; then of Tartars, Armenians, Jews; and Russians absolutely last. We must dig our roots into this soil."

Note to Oswald: I don't think Mussolini would have agreed to unite the Italian empire with the German empire. After all,he did want to establish the old Roman empire for Italy.

- Linlu :mrgreen:

Walther Darré

Post by Walther Darré » 09 Aug 2002, 17:53

Thanks for the information Linluz. "Hitler's Table Talk", it's good aye?

Had Germany and Italy won the war, do you think that the ideas of a great Germanic Empire and a revival of the Roman Empire would coincide, leading to the outbreak of wars and conflicts between the two?

Also, anyone's got a good picture of Burgundy? I am thinking of the French province.

Linlu

Post by Linlu » 09 Aug 2002, 18:19

Hi Walther and all,

Italy, in my opinion, was already a puppet nation to Hitler. The Italian population sure did like the idea of reviving the Roman Empire, except they were not willing to fight a long war for it. The Germans under Hitler's rule believed Goebbel's propaganda saying that they are the "ultimate race" and the whole world should be under their control.
Having said that, if the two countries had really established their empires, there would be a outbreak of war (I don't think Hitler would like the idea of two emperors of two vast empires being neighbours to each other like when the Roman Empire split into East and West, there were always civil wars). As had been discussed before in other forums, the Italian soldiers were not cowards but they weren't given a good enough reason to die for. It wasn't their war, it was Mussolini's. The German soldiers believed (most of them anyway) that they could be the masters of the world because they are a "superior" race and fought very enthuastically. The winner would no doubt be Germany should there be a conflict.

BTW, "Hitler's Table-Talk" is a great book. After reading it, I felt like an idiot compared to the vast knowledge of Hitler displayed during his talks.

- Linlu :mrgreen:

Sgt. Reese

Post by Sgt. Reese » 26 Jan 2003, 03:58

Again, I'm sorry to dig this up but:

what about japan if they'd have taken it over wouldn't it be a 3 way war?

Return to “NSDAP, other party organizations & Government”