Hitlers favorite food and beverage

Discussions on all aspects of the NSDAP, the other party organizations and the government. Hosted by Michael Miller & Igor Karpov.
e.polis

Hitlers favorite food and beverage

Post by e.polis » 03 Nov 2004, 06:05

Does anyone know what Adolf liked to drink, both alcoholic and non alcholic, and what was his favorite food, was he a simple eater or a gastronomic indulgent slob like Goering. I have read that he detested tobacco and was no fan of chocolate.

OMK

Post by OMK » 03 Nov 2004, 12:12

Someone will know a lot more than me, but Hitler was very modest (if not ascetic) in his eating and drinking. He was a vegetarian and drank very little (if any) alcohol.

OMK

Doggowitz

Post by Doggowitz » 03 Nov 2004, 13:01

He ate very much cereals, Spinach and tons of Cake and Cookies, he loved cake (like all Austrians), he was vegetarian and liked to drink water.

Miha Grcar

Post by Miha Grcar » 03 Nov 2004, 13:11

Doggowitz wrote:He ate very much cereals, Spinach and tons of Cake and Cookies, he loved cake (like all Austrians), he was vegetarian and liked to drink water.
As I remember from Herman Rauschning's book: Gesprache mit Hitler, he states that Hitler didn't tolerate smoking at the table, he drank lemonade or water and ate only vegetarian dishes, which some did to if they wanted him to like them :lol: ..and he drank NO alcohol at all (funny since his putch started in a beer brewery :wink: )

best,
Nibelung

ihoyos

Post by ihoyos » 03 Nov 2004, 16:45

In severel books ( at this time I remember the first book of albert speer). he decribed Hitler as fan of water mineral with gas bottled brand FACHINGER. this brand still in the market and is very popular in Europe.

Doggowitz

Post by Doggowitz » 03 Nov 2004, 16:47

The Water is called Fachingen!

Its still drunken and has a reputation of "wellness-water".

http://www.fachingen.de/

Wonder why they dont make publicity for their water with Adolf.;)

(Strange enough on their ads there always appear some 'Riefenstahl'-Bodies.:lol:)

BTW Hitlers last dish was Noodles with a light tomatoe sauce, wich pleased Der Führer very much.
Last edited by Doggowitz on 04 Feb 2005, 23:46, edited 1 time in total.

Duzig

Post by Duzig » 05 Nov 2004, 06:28

It's also my understanding that he ate quite a bit of chocolate. I once read perhaps in "The psychopathic god" that he told Dr. Morell "Since you like sausage so much perhaps you would like to take some of my blood and make blood sausage for yourself" Quite a sense of humor eh?
Duzig

Doggowitz

Post by Doggowitz » 05 Nov 2004, 11:42

This jokes tell quite much about the charcater of this man. ;)

Molisani

Hitler's diet

Post by Molisani » 14 Nov 2004, 20:18

In Luftwaffe Adjutant Von Below's book he states that Hitler's vegeterian cook was supplied as a gift to him by Antonescu of Romania who knew Hitler's bland diet.Hitler also made comments about seeing animals slaughtered and said he could never eat meat again.This was a heated topic between Goering who was a great sportsman and Hitler who loved(hard to believe)all animals.The Romanian woman chef prepared such interesting and tasty dishes that Hitler would sometimes act as a child when anticipating a meal wondering what delights she had prepared for him which others found amazing she could be so clever in creating such dishes without meat.Hitler also ate most of his meals with his chef and sometimes secreteries.War was not allowed as a subject at meals only art,families and other topics.By the way Hitler rarely drank alcohol and only on a few occasions it was champagne as a celebration.

P-51 Baby

Post by P-51 Baby » 18 Nov 2004, 03:32

There's a short paragraph in Anna Maria Sigmund's book "Women of the Third Reich" (page 144) that has a little description of some contradictory information about Hitler's reason for going vegetarian. Basically, he became a vegan for practicality and not out of piety, and whenever he ate meat, he would sweat profusely at rallies. Apparently beer drinking made him lose weight (I know a few of my friends would envy this!). Tea was part of his diet too.

EDIT: Just mentioning some examples cited from the above source. Apparently, the menu on August 9th, 1937 at the Berghof consisted of barley soup,p ork sausages, saurkraut, mashed potatoes, and salad. Hitler had semolina noodles and eggs. June 7th, 1943 included orange juice, linseed porridge, rice pudding with herbal sauce, crispbread with butter and some weird paste called Nuxo (Soy and sugar based)
(page 169)

Hope that contributes to something. :)

Greetz
-Melany

maxxx

Post by maxxx » 20 Nov 2004, 00:52

i think i remember from the memories of Hitlers butler that he ate bitter chocolate even for breakfast...

Shc

Post by Shc » 20 Nov 2004, 01:06

Hey guys, even if Hitler prefered to be vegeterian, did he still eat meat a few times too? or was he plain and simple 100% vegeterian with no meat at all?

BDMhistorian

Post by BDMhistorian » 20 Nov 2004, 02:10

I've read comments that "Hitler had a sweet-toot like a rat" and very much enjoyed sweets of any kind, be they chocolate, cake (tortes, actually), etc. I also read that he absolutely loved pasta. Unfortunately I don't recall the source of this, but I'll go check some of my books.

Darcy

Post by Darcy » 20 Nov 2004, 23:08

Over the course of the last 30 years,I have had the opprotunity to interview many notables of the 3rd Reich.I would always ask about the more intimate details of AH's daily life.Answers varied about his diet,which is no suprise,because he "performed" even to his inner circle.....he only let people see what he wanted them to see.Heinrich Hoffman has stated( i do not remember where I read this,I made a note of it with no source sited :x ) in the early days when Hitler was on the road drumming up support he would have bread and sausage in his car going from one stop to the next.Indeed he did have a sweet tooth.I was told by Artur Axmann that Hitler would consume nearly 2 pounds of chocolate a day.Hitlers total turn to vegitarian came when he attended the autopsy of his niece Geli Raubal.Her death had more than one effect on his life.It seems from the different accounts I have read or heard,he lightened up just a little on his strict vegitarian diet during the later years.According to Traudl Junge he would eat liver dumplings.Here is a list of the foods she told me he would eat:

eggs
pasta
baked potato's
oatmeal
cottage cheese
liver dumplings
fruit
puddings
quote unquote "every kind of pastry you can imagine"

Next is a list of drinks:

Hot chocolate with whipped cream
beer
wine with sugar added
tea
water(of course)

well thats all I have to add.
D

BDMhistorian

Post by BDMhistorian » 21 Nov 2004, 00:19

Wow, Darcy, that was a really great reply. I'm surprised he ate that much chocolate... how'd he manage not to look like Göring? ;)

Return to “NSDAP, other party organizations & Government”