Hitlers favorite food and beverage

Discussions on all aspects of the NSDAP, the other party organizations and the government. Hosted by Michael Miller & Igor Karpov.
e.polis

Post by e.polis » 21 Nov 2004, 01:49

Goring probably stole his chocolates when he visited AH, can you imagine Goring trying to get into a WW1 biplane in 1944, it would not take off, it would reach top speed and run off the end of the run way.

Ernie Primeau

Post by Ernie Primeau » 09 Jan 2005, 17:14

e.polis wrote:Goring probably stole his chocolates when he visited AH, can you imagine Goring trying to get into a WW1 biplane in 1944, it would not take off, it would reach top speed and run off the end of the run way.
If you had said that in 1944 you would have been shot.

BDMhistorian

Post by BDMhistorian » 09 Jan 2005, 23:20

Code: Select all

If you had said that in 1944 you would have been shot.
My grandmother still refers to Göring as "Der Dicke Göring" today...

Matthew Greer

Post by Matthew Greer » 10 Jan 2005, 11:01

If I can recall correctly from what I've read and seen in documentaries on Hitler, he drank little alcohol if any at all, and he forbade any one from smoking in his presents. Personally I don't belive that Hitler drank because he was big on immage and he wanted to present to the public an immage of infallibility, and drink would tarnish this. Besides I recall hearing rumors to the effect the Hitler was considered odd, in the early days "1920-22" of the movment in Munich because he didn't drink but only lectured. Also I have yet to see any propaganda showing Hitler chumming it up with the locals in Bavaria at a Beer garden. Hitler liked to grip and grin quite a bit more than most, especially early on in his career.

As to what he ate I don't know but I recently watched a documentary regarding the relationship between him and his private doctor Morell. Morell was treating Hitler for sever stomach pains and very bad gas. From the way it sounds the Fuhrer had wind something fearce. :o If Hitler was a pure vegaterian that partly explaines why he and Rudolph Hess got along well, considering Hess was well known for his odd diet of wheat tea. As for Goering and his love of food I remember hearing that he posted Luft Guards at his favorite eateries in France to ensure that they would not be shut down by Himmler's SS. :roll:

Partyleaders and their appetites sometimes almost as big as their ego "Especially Goering" :lol:

till next time:
Matthew.

Brinestorm

Post by Brinestorm » 24 Jan 2005, 04:56

Hitler definitely did not indulge in alcohol. I think I read in The Rise and Fall... (which in turn took the information from Mein Kampf) that young Hitler drank himself to the point of lying on a roadway inebriated through the night. From then on he vowed never to touch alcohol again.

Armfeldt

Post by Armfeldt » 28 Jan 2005, 17:50

Brinestorm wrote:Hitler definitely did not indulge in alcohol. I think I read in The Rise and Fall... (which in turn took the information from Mein Kampf) that young Hitler drank himself to the point of lying on a roadway inebriated through the night. From then on he vowed never to touch alcohol again.
According to Joachin Fest Hitler did drink alcohol until his death. I think I read that he had big amounts of alcoholic drinks (in particular champange) in his bunker.

alephh

Post by alephh » 28 Jan 2005, 20:00

I think it is fair to say that Hitler drank very little alcohol and tried to avoid drinking it when possible. There were occasions, like couple of his birthdays, when he drank a glass of alcohol - according those who lived with him day by day (secretaries, adjutants).

He was strongly against smoking, and wanted cigarettes excluded from shipments to ss-soldiers. But some of Hitler's doctors (not Morell) felt that smoking wasn't that bad.

Overstatement: EU is basically doing now what Hitler wanted to do those days: ban cigarettes, expend to east, etc ;-)

Armfeldt

Post by Armfeldt » 29 Jan 2005, 00:14

alephh wrote:I think it is fair to say that Hitler drank very little alcohol and tried to avoid drinking it when possible. There were occasions, like couple of his birthdays, when he drank a glass of alcohol - according those who lived with him day by day (secretaries, adjutants).

He was strongly against smoking, and wanted cigarettes excluded from shipments to ss-soldiers. But some of Hitler's doctors (not Morell) felt that smoking wasn't that bad.

Overstatement: EU is basically doing now what Hitler wanted to do those days: ban cigarettes, expend to east, etc ;-)
In Hitler´s table talks you can read a quote where Hitler says that he smoked a couple of cigarettes when he was homeless.

alephh

Post by alephh » 29 Jan 2005, 00:33

Armfeldt wrote:In Hitler´s table talks you can read a quote where Hitler says that he smoked a couple of cigarettes when he was homeless.
But he quite endlessly talked how bad smoking is for you, how it is statistically proven that non-smokers live longer etc.

Quite smart to know you are opposing, isn't it? If non-smoker talks againts smoking, isn't that kind of like blind man talking about mona lisa ;-D

JoeyBritt

Post by JoeyBritt » 04 Feb 2005, 22:14

The reason for Hitler's strict diet was his gastro-intestine disease (basically "wind"). Instead of going to a doctor to get this sorted, he would try to cure it himself by cutting out food which gave him indigestion (along with doses of Dr Koester's Anti-Gas Pills). this led to a very strict and reduced diet which he kept to regularly.

Read: The EMdical Casebook of Adolf Hitler - Leonard Heston

Sewer King

Post by Sewer King » 13 Feb 2005, 04:37

Duzig wrote:I once read perhaps in "The psychopathic god" that he told Dr. Morell "Since you like sausage so much perhaps you would like to take some of my blood and make blood sausage for yourself" Quite a sense of humor eh?
Speer also said when he, Speer, had meat broth at table, Hitler would openly call it Corpsetee (corpse tea).

In Waite's The Psychopathic God, Hitler was said to have favored sweets as a soldier in World War I. The quote was that artillery fire could not keep him from a tin of Kunsthonig (artificial honey). Kunsthonig was an ordinary issue item in both World Wars. It was simply a heavily-saturated solution of beet sugar in water, with so much sugar that it was a thick syrup and then tinted to look like real honey. I cannot imagine eating this straight out of a can under ordinary circumstances.

There's another mention that Hitler was introduced to caviar and expressly liked it very much, but did not take to eating it beyond that. By this report he did not think it befitted his image, probably because caviar always has a wealthy association.

JoeyBritt

Post by JoeyBritt » 21 Feb 2005, 19:22

just for a quick fact. It was after Geli's suicide that Hitler stopped eating meat. Don't really know why. Stress-related indigestion I assume, that he realted to the consumption of meat.

sopas

Post by sopas » 27 Feb 2005, 20:09

Hitler did not drink and did not smoke, so what??? It did not help his health at all.
In fact he had Parkinson at a very early age 55!!!!!!!! and looked and moved like 70 during the last months.
In the bunker he cuold not even walk more than 20 meters without stooping to rest!!!!!!!

I think he became too old too early maily because he hardly slept 3 hours a day during the last 2 years of the war. Could you imagine yourself sleeping 3 hours a day during the next 2 years?????

reichpilot

Post by reichpilot » 28 Feb 2005, 02:35

He also aged fairly quickly because of all the medicine that he took in the course of a day. One doesn't last too long on a medicine regime like he had.

Don

White Leopard

Post by White Leopard » 28 Feb 2005, 18:44

During his youth in Vienna Hitler smoked cigarettes. He told his audience in his Table talk conversations that he stopped smoking when he realized how much the cost of tobacco took from his meager income. He said he then pitched his cigarettes into the Danube and never smoked again.

Hanfstaengle records that Hitler was served an Artichoke at a dinner given by one of his admirers in 1920's. He was baffled by the vegetable, did not know what it was, or how to eat it.

Although an avowed vegetarian Hitler did remain fond of, and would eat, a type of dumpling stuffed with a paste made from liver.

Return to “NSDAP, other party organizations & Government”