a million dollar question

Discussions on all aspects of the NSDAP, the other party organizations and the government. Hosted by Michael Miller & Igor Karpov.
Durand

Kempka's Book

Post by Durand » 25 Aug 2002, 14:59

In reply to Geli's query, I believe that Kempka's book was published only in German. The copy I have was published in 1974 or 1975 (I do not have it on hand at the moment) and it is a reprint with an annotation of the original edition which came out under a different title in the early 1950s. It has been awhile since I read through it (or rather slogged through it given the state of my ability to read German), and as I recall, it was not particularly revealing given what has been published by O'donnel and Trevor-Roper. However, I like to read first person accounts in an effort to try to get a sense or feeling of an event or time period and this book helped with that goal.

J.D.

Durand

Re: The Picture of Skull Bone and Teeth

Post by Durand » 25 Aug 2002, 15:05

With regard to the mention in my initial post on this thread about the photo of the skull bone and teeth, it appeared in die Bild Zeitung two or three years ago.

J.D.

Lord Gort

Post by Lord Gort » 27 Aug 2002, 01:33

Intrestingly enough hitler tried the poison he had on his dog cos he was afraid it wouldnt work, it was hearing about mussolinis ceromonial stringing up that caused him to be so paranoid.

Zhukov didnt know about hitlers body until 20 years after the fall of berlin, Stalin ahd toyed with him and gained pleasure from knowing Zhukov was worried he ahdnt found a body that Berias NKVD all ready had.

Ovidius

Post by Ovidius » 27 Aug 2002, 02:26

Geli wrote:This pattern was begun by Magda's first husband, Gunther Quandt. He had two sons by his first wife, and the boys' names were Hellmuth and Herbert. Magda was Gunther Quandt's second wife; together they had a son named Harold. Magda divorced Gunther Quandt, later marrying Dr. Goebbels. She kept the tradition of "H" names, but there doesn't seem to be any meaning to it, other than a whimsical preference for the letter.
Is this Herbert Quandt the same as the Herbert Quandt(1910-1982) who developed the BMW company after 1959?

Herbert Quandt came from a rope-making family, who had moved from Holland to settle in Pritzwalk, Brandenburg, around 1700. The entrepreneurial tradition of the family was established towards the end of the past century by Emil Quandt, who had set up as a textile manufacturer in the Brandenburg marches where he had his roots. With his entrepreneurial vision, his son, Günther Quandt, extended the business connections and interests of the family beyond the textile industry and the borders of his home country. Accumulatorenfabrik AG (AFA), subsequently (since 1962) VARTA, became the main industrial interest. In the third generation, Günther Quandt's son, Herbert, born in 1910, took over the family's entrepreneurial legacy and earned himself the reputation of being one of the most prominent business personalities in post-war Germany. He impressively demonstrated his entrepreneurial talent and energy when in 1959 he acquired a stake in the carmaker BMW, which was in trouble at the time, and thanks to his great personal efforts he initiated the highly successful restructuring of the company. The reorganization of VARTA AG is also the work of Herbert Quandt, culminating in 1977 with the spin-off of the conglomerate, which produced the independent companies VARTA AG, CEAG AG and for the pharmaceuticals and special chemicals areas ALTANA AG. From 1977 to 1980, Herbert Quandt himself served as Chairman of the Board of Managing Directors of ALTANA AG, whose head office is in Günther-Quandt-Haus, Bad Homburg v.d. Höhe. Herbert Quandt died in 1982.

It is characteristic of Herbert Quandt's approach to management that he gave the companies, which were organized on a decentralized basis, extensive decision-making powers in order to strengthen individual initiative and entrepreneurial spirit. For him it was also clear that the entrepreneur's responsibility extends beyond the purely economic sphere. The Herbert Quandt Foundation is committed to this principle.
Source: Herbert Quandt Foundation http://www.h-quandt-stiftung.de/english/stift/h_hq.htm

Emphase is mine.

~Regards,

Ovidius

Geli

Post by Geli » 27 Aug 2002, 04:19

Interesting.

I don't know if this is the same person or not, but it's quite possible. The Magda Goebbels book says that her stepson Herbert was nine years old in 1921, which would put his birthday in 1912. Pretty close.

There isn't a lot of detail about Herbert, except to say that he had vision problems. I've only skimmed this book so far, so I haven't come across any details about Gunther Quandt's business. I looked for Emil Quandt in the index, but he was not listed.

Kaiser

Post by Kaiser » 27 Aug 2002, 05:36

It was my understanding the Hitler ordered the SS to burn his body, as they did to Joey G. I believe the SS dug up and reburied his remains several times as the Russians approached nearer.

There is also the rumor the Hitler didn't have the stones to pull the trigger and had a SS lackey do it for him.

I think I read most of the details of this in 'The Last Days of the Reich' - awesome book!

BTW - what is that book the 'Berkut'? about - it sounds interesting...

Durand

Re: Berkut

Post by Durand » 27 Aug 2002, 14:16

Hallo Kaiser,

The basic story is that a specially selected SS Colonel Brumm makes his way into Berlin in the last days of April 1945. He is responsible for taking "Herr Wolf" to a place of safety far from Berlin in hopes of starting over again someday. Hours after Col. Brumm enters Berlin, a team whose leader was picked by Stalin, works it's way into Berlin with goal of capturing "Herr Wolf". After that it becomes a cat and mouse chase. It is a quick paced and intelligently written thriller. I do not think that it is still in print, but you should be able to find it in a library or a second hand bookstore or website.

Hope this helps.

J.D.

Phil V

Post by Phil V » 27 Aug 2002, 14:32

If Hitler did survive the war (and it is not likely at all) I would imagine that he would not be the type of person just to go into hiding and retire.

The only two credible (remotely plausible) alternatives given as opposed to his suicide are in my opinion :

- Spirited away to live out his remaining days (not many due to health) in Facist Spain or;

- Captured by the Soviets and "put on ice" in order to cease any potential rejuvination of the Nazi Facist Political movement.

I think that the book best covering Hitlers suicide and the alternative scenarios is "The Last Days of Hitler : Legend, Evidence and Truth" by Joachimsthaler. It covers all the rumours and interviews many people involved in his death.

Return to “NSDAP, other party organizations & Government”