Hitler & Blonde women, just something I noticed.

Discussions on all aspects of the NSDAP, the other party organizations and the government. Hosted by Michael Miller & Igor Karpov.
Phil V
Financial supporter

Post by Phil V » 28 Aug 2002 11:14

Geli wrote :

About that hand-kissing thing...
Do Europeans still do that or is it a quaint custom of a bygone era?
I think it's so charming.

My (German) grandfather informs me that the formal (and accepted way) of greeting mixed company in Germany in Hitlers time was a curt bow with heals together and a slight kiss of the right hand.

Navy Vet
Financial supporter

Post by Navy Vet » 28 Aug 2002 12:04

Hitler did this to these women but only the blondes got an actual kiss, the others he just motioned toward their hand with his head but didn't actually kiss them.

Scott Smith

Post by Scott Smith » 28 Aug 2002 12:38

Navy Vet wrote:Hitler did this to these women but only the blondes got an actual kiss, the others he just motioned toward their hand with his head but didn't actually kiss them.

Probably just a coincidence. I'd be willing to bet that the Duchess of Windsor got a peck on the hand and she certainly wasn't blond.
:)

Geli

Re: Hitler & Blonde women, just something I noticed.

Post by Geli » 29 Aug 2002 01:16

Scott Smith wrote:Dr. Goebbels apparently did not even know that his own wife's hair was not really blond... :mrgreen:

Is there a story behind this comment? I've been reading a lot about him lately and I haven't come across any Little-Doctor-Discovers-His-Wife's-True-Haircolor stories.

Scott Smith

Re: Hitler & Blonde women, just something I noticed.

Post by Scott Smith » 29 Aug 2002 02:20

Geli wrote:
Scott Smith wrote:Dr. Goebbels apparently did not even know that his own wife's hair was not really blond... :mrgreen:

Is there a story behind this comment? I've been reading a lot about him lately and I haven't come across any Little-Doctor-Discovers-His-Wife's-True-Haircolor stories.

It's in Irving's Goebbels: Mastermind of the Third Reich.

Geli

Post by Geli » 29 Aug 2002 02:32

What page? (I have that book, but I haven't begun to read it yet.)

Scott Smith

Bonfire of the Vanities...

Post by Scott Smith » 29 Aug 2002 03:01

Geli wrote:What page? (I have that book, but I haven't begun to read it yet.)

David Irving wrote:"On August 1 he exchanges his well-tailored party uniform for a white summer suit and they begin a seaside vacation at Heiligendamm. He likes to nurse his Latin tan--even in winter he uses a sun lamp--but frowns on women who use such artificial aids. Once, sitting in his beach basket, he lectures the scantily clad beauties who swarm around him: 'The German woman does not bleach her hair.' The girls suppress astonished chuckles. He has not detected that his wife is not a natural blonde. 'Since when have you worn lipstick, my sweetest,' he once asks her. 'Always,' she replies. (He does not believe her.)"

Free Download! David Irving, Goebbels. Ch. 21, "Bonfire of the Books," pp. 314-315.

Geli

Post by Geli » 29 Aug 2002 03:25

Dr. G. was so full of it! :lol:
I mean, come on! Lipstick comes off when you kiss. Expecially the red stuff that was popular back then. There was probably a glass with lipstick on it on a table in front of her when he said that. I'm sure he was just trying to play the charmer.
I may be able to believe the hair thing. The roots-showing look was not in back then and women went for frequent touch-ups to maintain the illuision of au naturale. I doubt Magda's husband had any idea what was going on when she went to the salon. And he probably wasn't observant enough to see the little bit of root growing in. He probably never noticed when she was wearing a new dress, either!
:lol:

Scott Smith

Post by Scott Smith » 29 Aug 2002 07:31

Do guys ever really have a clue about such things?
:D

Jeff O

Post by Jeff O » 29 Aug 2002 07:49

It is an interesting point about kissing the hands of the blondes and not the brunettes.

Scott Smith

Post by Scott Smith » 29 Aug 2002 08:25

Surfkorps wrote:It is an interesting point about kissing the hands of the blondes and not the brunettes.

Interesting but moot, I think.

Jeff O

Post by Jeff O » 29 Aug 2002 08:28

I'd rather it if you were moot.

Scott Smith

Post by Scott Smith » 29 Aug 2002 09:31

Surfkorps wrote:I'd rather it if you were moot.

What do you mean?

Navy Vet
Financial supporter

Post by Navy Vet » 29 Aug 2002 15:45

I *think* he means that sometimes small (moot) details are rather interesting. Not that they have a point or meaning but just something to think about.

Scott Smith

Post by Scott Smith » 29 Aug 2002 15:55

Navy Vet wrote:I *think* he means that sometimes small (moot) details are rather interesting. Not that they have a point or meaning but just something to think about.

I suppose, but it is a rather hasty generalization from few facts. In short, interesting in a tabloid sort of way but not historically germane even if it were technically true. But, hey, that's just my opinion.
:wink:

Return to “NSDAP, other party organizations & Government”