what sort of beer were they drinking in the beerhallpuetsche

Discussions on all aspects of the NSDAP, the other party organizations and the government. Hosted by Michael Miller & Igor Karpov.
kellysartin

what sort of beer were they drinking in the beerhallpuetsche

Post by kellysartin » 12 Sep 2002, 05:43

This may be a really stupid question, but then i have never set foot in the Holy Reich. Or , it may be simply a practically impossible question to answer, maybe there were 5,000 fly-by- night breweries in 1920's Muniche? Anyway, When Hitler was making his speeches in the Sterneckerbrau, or when they were trying to raise hell and seize power in the Burgerbraukeller, in the 1920's, what beers were most likely to have been on the tables? secondly, was Schlenkerla rauch bier of Bamberg in buiseness in those days? :roll:

HaEn
In memoriam

beer

Post by HaEn » 12 Sep 2002, 16:15

BAVARIAN ! :lol: actually who knows and who cares; it was beer. HN.

Rob S.

Post by Rob S. » 12 Sep 2002, 16:59

Hahaha, well HaEn, they sure weren't serving Budweiser 8O :lol: 8) .

Maybe Hacker Pschorr or Beck's. Good luck researching this though, as I highly doubt any company in the world would enjoy a reputation from this part of history. I'm surprised Fanta and Volkswagen are still around, though I'm sure they've faced plenty of drawn out and stupid lawsuits.

Wolfsrudel

Post by Wolfsrudel » 12 Sep 2002, 22:07

Normally you will find no Beck`s in Munich. Munich is the capital of Bavaria and in Bavaria they normally drink wheat beer.

walterkaschner
In memoriam

Post by walterkaschner » 13 Sep 2002, 03:49

I'm not entirely sure, but my guess is that they drank "Bürgerbräu" at the Bürgerbräukeller, as that was the retailing vehicle for the Bürger brewrey, which was still going strong when I visited it in 1957. Sad to say it is now long gone and the site has disappeared. I know nothing about the Stereckerbräu, but many of those Kneipe in Munich in those days had their own brewery attached.

It most certainly was not Beck's, which is a north German beer brewed I believe in Bremen and with a much drier and hoppier taste - very un-Bavarian.

Regards, Kaschner

Dan

Post by Dan » 13 Sep 2002, 03:59

Mr. Kaschner, what do you do to keep your memory intact? I can't remember what I drunk last week, but in the fifties? Is there a supplement or something?

walterkaschner
In memoriam

Post by walterkaschner » 13 Sep 2002, 16:28

Dan, I was on my honeymoon, and the events of that trip are still deeply etched in my memory. Moreover, having a beer in the Bürgerbräukeller was itself for me a very momentous occasion and made quite an impression. Hitler and the Third Reich were still very fresh in mind. And then, too, I am quite - perhaps overly - fond of beer and recall that the product at the Bürgerbräu was quite good. But in other areas, alas, my memory grows dimmer daily.

Regards, Kaschner

Robert Zeller

Post by Robert Zeller » 14 Sep 2002, 07:53

lol, I read all the posts on this topic, very interesting, and funny really

However, to address the topic itself, some questions you just don't think you'll ever see...

kellysartin

Post by kellysartin » 14 Sep 2002, 08:47

Gee, that was real helpful :? and typical of Ohio folk.

Joseph J. Cacciotti

Kind of beer drunk at the Munich Putsch

Post by Joseph J. Cacciotti » 25 Sep 2002, 16:24

I am convinced that Mr. Kaschner is correct in stating that it was probably burgerbrau. The beer halls in Munich (and many restaurants as well) are owned by the breweries and they usually sell their beer exclusively. Thus you will find Augustiner, Spaten, Pschorr and Loewenbrau sold at their own beer halls. A small point, but that's all I am able to offer. I don't know how to type umlauts, so several words above are improperly spelled. Apologies!

dirtysanchez84

Post by dirtysanchez84 » 25 Sep 2002, 16:29

What about Haufbrau?...I think I spelled it right

Return to “NSDAP, other party organizations & Government”