Why Reich?

Discussions on all aspects of the NSDAP, the other party organizations and the government. Hosted by Michael Miller & Igor Karpov.
Ezboard

Why Reich?

Post by Ezboard » 29 Sep 2002, 12:43

Jessica
Unregistered User
(3/18/00 6:39:51 am)
Reply Why Reich?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please tell me why it is called the Third Reich. What does Reich mean?

Glenn Steinberg
Unregistered User
(3/19/00 5:10:03 am)
Reply Re: Why Reich?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reich means Empire in German. It's related to the suffix -ric that is sometimes added in English words such as bishopric (meaning the territory of a bishop).

The First Reich was the Holy Roman Empire (800-1806).

The Second Reich was Bismarck's German Empire, ruled over by the Hohenzollerns of Prussia (1871-1918).

The Third Reich was Hitler's regime (1933-1945).

A good encyclopedia will give you more information (if you look up Germany, Holy Roman Empire, etc.).

Jessica
Unregistered User
(3/19/00 6:51:04 am)
Reply Why Reich?
Thank you for the info.

JWV
Unregistered User
(3/19/00 11:10:58 pm)
Reply Reich
Actually, Glenn, you're wrong here.

The 1st Reich (700 AD - 936 AD) wasn't the Holy Roman Empire.

The 1st Reich was ended in 935 AD after their kingdoms were torn apart -

By the tenth century, East Francia was being attacked by another Teutonic people from the north, called the Norsemen, or Vikings. They were also attacked by the Magyars and Moravians, while rival tribes within the kingdom threatened to tear it apart. Now, the feudal system which Charlemagne had to a large extent implemented - an all-powerful king who ruled over a number of vassal lords - began to tear apart the kingdom, as the five tribal duchies - Franconia, Swabia, Bavaria, Saxony, and Lorraine - became, for all intents and purposes, independent. These five kingdoms set the tone for the rest of Germany's medieval history: a military and ecclesiastical aristocracy ruling over an agrarian peasantry. As these rulers were the ones who elected the kings, they chose weak rulers, so that none may oppose their own authority. Much like the election of Pope John Paul II in our own time, in 936, the electors, thinking they had chosen a weak-minded puppet, found they had underestimated the man they crowned.

Glenn Steinberg
Unregistered User
(3/20/00 1:33:07 pm)
Reply Re: Reich
Actually, I'm a professor of medieval and Renaissance literature at an American college. My professional specialty as a scholar and researcher is medieval and Renaissance culture.

Trust me. The first Reich was the Holy Roman Empire. The second Reich was the Hohenzollern German Empire. The third Reich was the Nazi regime.

Despite whatever the truth of history was, the Holy Roman Empire was *perceived* as being in continuous existence from the time of Charlemagne's crowning by the Pope in 800 to the abdication of Holy Roman Emperor Franz II (Emperor Franz I of Austria) in 1806. It *was* the first Reich. And unlike Hitler's Reich, it really lasted a thousand years.

The Hohenzollern German Emperors from 1871-1918 were the second Reich.

Nazi Germany (1933-1945) was the third Reich.

Mark Puthoff
Unregistered User
(3/27/00 9:47:07 pm)
Reply re: 3rd reich
You go Glenn!

JWV
Unregistered User
(3/28/00 1:28:51 am)
Reply Another arschficker!
Is it all u can say? Gee...u need a life, prick!

JWV
Unregistered User
(3/28/00 1:31:12 am)
Reply .......
It's for Mark...

Anyway, thanks for clearing this up for me, Glenn. :-)

Return to “NSDAP, other party organizations & Government”