Best biography on Hitler

Discussions on all aspects of the NSDAP, the other party organizations and the government. Hosted by Michael Miller & Igor Karpov.
Ezboard

Best biography on Hitler

Post by Ezboard » 29 Sep 2002 12:37

Laura
Unregistered User
(5/18/00 9:27:34 pm)
Reply Best biography on Hitler
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Which is the best biography on Hitler?

ernst
Unregistered User
(5/20/00 2:22:10 am)
Reply best biography on Hitler
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Allan Bullock´s

Richard Murphy
Unregistered User
(5/20/00 5:36:03 pm)
Reply Hitler Biography
John Toland gets my vote!

RFM

Marcus Wendel
Administrator
(5/21/00 12:21:04 pm)
Reply Re: Best biography on Hitler
I'm currently reading "The Hitler of History" by John Lukacs, and it's great!

The book is a study of Hitler through his many biographies and biographers, commenting on Hitler's life while at the same time commenting on the strenghts and weaknesses of many different biographies on Hitler (by Fest, Irving and Toland to name a few).

/Marcus

Richard Murphy
Unregistered User
(5/21/00 12:24:49 pm)
Reply The Hitler of History
Marcus,
Sounds interesting, I've heard of Lukacs, but never read his stuff. I'd been interested to know what your verdict on it (The book!) is.

Marcus Wendel
Administrator
(5/24/00 9:49:27 am)
Reply Re: The Hitler of History
I finished reading it yesterday and here is my verdict:

Different questions regarding Hitler is covered in each chapter, for example:
Reactionary or a revolutionary (probably my favourite chapter)
Hitler's place in History
Where his ideology was formed (Vienna or Munich)
His abilities as a strategist

He also comments on those (he feels) admires Hitler, such as Irving and Toland.
His critique of David Irving is very interesting, especially since it is not of the usual ("Irving is a nazi") type but rather commenting on for example Irvings sources and his interpretation of them.

One might not always agree with Lukcas' views (I disagree with him on some point, mainly regarding Stalin, which is not really what the book is about anyway) but mentions the arguments of the "other side" too, which is more than most authors do, and he usually mentions (at least) one author who holds that view (recommendations for further reading is always appreciated).

If you are interested in how various biographers have interpreted different aspects of Hitler, this is definately a book for you, but if you are looking for a normal biography, don't bother with this one.

/Marcus

George Huelse
Unregistered User
(5/24/00 4:53:44 pm)
Reply John Toland Indeed
John Toland's books is one of the most comprehensive I've ever seen.

Marcus Wendel
Administrator
(5/25/00 1:25:57 pm)
Reply Re: Best biography on Hitler
My favourite is "The Führer" by Konrad Heiden.
It is far better than Bullock's book, but it has one major drawback: it was written during Hitlers reign and thus does not cover the war (it ends with the Night of the Long Knives (1934)).

/Marcus

Return to “NSDAP, other party organizations & Government”