"Heil Hitler" salute

Discussions on all aspects of the NSDAP, the other party organizations and the government. Hosted by Michael Miller & Igor Karpov.
Ezboard

"Heil Hitler" salute

Post by Ezboard » 29 Sep 2002, 15:38

sea12354
Unregistered
(11/27/00 2:18:32 am)
Reply "Heil Hitler" salute
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In the early days of the Party, Herr Hitler was not the undisputed fuhrer that he was later to become. At what point did "Heil Hitler" enter the lexicon as the expected form of salutation?

Kingsley
Unregistered
(11/27/00 3:36:14 am)
Reply Hitler salute
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello,
I'd say the salute didn't come around till Hitler became the Fuhrer of the party, which I think was in 1923(?). I'm pretty sure the salute was practiced throughout the twenties, even if the phrase "Heil Hitler" was not. An interesting fact is that Rudolf Hess was the one who invented that phrase.
It is important to point out that the "Hitler" salute was orginally used by the Italian Fascists and just copied by the Germans Nazis, along with the Spanish Fascists. (But Mussolini did borrow the Goose-step!)
I can't tell you *exactly* when the NSDAP began using the salute for all it's members, but I do know that it was made a manditory salute for all the Military forces of Germany (Heer, Luftwaffe, etc) after the July 20th attempted putsch. Hope this helps.

ASP01
Unregistered
(12/9/00 9:27:17 pm)
Reply HEIL HITLER SALUTE
actually the salute was to my knowledge first used by the Roman Empire and they would use the verse HAIL CAESER

Helly
Unregistered
(12/11/00 7:22:33 pm)
Reply Nazi salute
In the first times of the NSDAP the salute was a sinlge "Heil"
The firsdt "Heil Hitler" dated around the Putsch in nov 1923. Officialy the phrase was used for the Nazi party memebres since 1925 in the reconstrucction of the party.

The salute "Sieg heil" too dated of 1926 I think.

In 1931 (I`m not sure) Martin Bormann sugested to hermann Gôring a decret with this salutes "Heil Hitler" like Official salute.
I have the copy of the decree in home. I promes tomorrow post this here.

best regards,

Comando Supremo1
(12/12/00 2:19:57 pm)
Re: Nazi salute
Yes, that salute was first invented by the Roman Empire. It was later used again by Italian Marshal Emilio De Bono for salutation to Benito Mussolini in the early 1920's when the Fascist party took hold on Italy. It was soon adopted throughout Italy and borrowed by Germany.

Regards,
Jim

Comando Supremo: Italy at War 1940-1943
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/Italy

Goggi
(12/13/00 3:43:51 am)
Reply Heil Hitler
I think (if my memory serves me right) that I was reading that already the Assyrians ca. 2600 years ago, greeted with a stretched out arm! In such a way nobody could hide a dagger and not throw a spear!
Goggi

Return to “NSDAP, other party organizations & Government”