Is this accurate?

Discussions on all aspects of the NSDAP, the other party organizations and the government. Hosted by Michael Miller & Igor Karpov.
[email protected]

Is this accurate?

Post by [email protected] » 01 Apr 2002, 09:00

I once read that before Hitler took full power of Germany, he held a press conference/rally, in which he told the supporters that there would be a dictatorship if he came into power; that no other political parties would exist, that the state should not be questioned, and that that would be the only press conference held? Is this accurate, that Hitler told his people they were entering a dictatorship?

Johan Elisson

Post by Johan Elisson » 01 Apr 2002, 13:27

I'm not sure, but isn't that what he wrote in Mein Kampf (haven't read it)???

/Johan

[email protected]

Not sure

Post by [email protected] » 08 Apr 2002, 05:29

I have yet to finish Mein Kampf. All the homes had the book, but few read it, saying it was too dry and redundant. Maybe that is where it is disputed whether or not he said that.

IAR80

re

Post by IAR80 » 08 Apr 2002, 22:06

I do remember watching one of Hitler's speeches on Discovery. He said something like admitting they (the nazi party) were agressive and intolerant and that they aim to clean up Germany of the 20 or so parties and bring order, bla, bla.
Very possible he said that given that the German people desperately need a strong figure then after the corrupt democracies of that time, and Hitler knew how to draw on these feelings.

Raf

Post by Raf » 26 Apr 2002, 17:30

It's true Hitler promised the German people dictatorship for a certain period to put things wright again. In his campaigns, he gave his vision about unions and the "rotten" poloitics off the Weimar-republic. He promissed to make Germany rich again and give it it's regarding place in Europe. After that, democracy could be reinstated. He didn't mention how much time he would need...

Pumpkin

Post by Pumpkin » 26 Apr 2002, 18:14

After that, democracy could be reinstated
Is it really true that he made such a statement? Was it actually directed to the public, and not only a private lie to some worried coalition partner in 1933? (Source?) I believe he had made absolutely clear that he desired absolute power and that he viewed democracy as something genuinely bad (manipulated, non-elitistic etc), in speaches, writings and through the Führerprinzip in the party.

Also, I can not see how such a message would've been popular during the depression. It'd be great if he had released all political prisoners, allowed free party forming and announced general election during the war, and refraining from participating himself!!! That's so absured I've never come close to that thought before!

MadJim

missed

Post by MadJim » 26 Apr 2002, 20:57

Germany was still a democracy after Hitler became Chancelor. Ah, this man is wrong you say...no, you see Hitler was legally appointed to his post as Chancellor - he then used the tools the victorious Etenete forced on Germany to hold on to power for 13 years. That was infamous "suicide clause" or emergency powers. Once Hitler was handed the powers he just ruled on a temporary basis until 1945.

Pumpkin

Post by Pumpkin » 27 Apr 2002, 17:47

Those emergency powers were used by the democratic center-right government that ruled before Hitler. Since communists and nazist had majority in parliament, the president Hindenburg used that emergency power to give the minority government mandate to rule anyway. And before Hitler joined the government, general Schleicher ruled the Weimar Republic almmost as a dictator (oh it was so long I read about it, I can't be more precise).

But that's likely the explanation of the (false) interpretation that the dictatorship was to be only temporary.

Return to “NSDAP, other party organizations & Government”