RAIL LINES in 1945

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
CRAIG CARR

RAIL LINES in 1945

Postby CRAIG CARR » 10 May 2017 22:03

Wie geht es ihnen AHF members. Would anyone know of a resource that would show a map of the rail lines for commercial TRnsit between Berlin and Mattighofen Austria in March of 1945? I am trying to assemble an album page showing the route of the train my mother and her kid sister boarded the "Deutsches Reich Gesellschaft" (sorry if my German is lousy,
I grew up in an english only household) in Berlin the third week of March --- I think??? out of the bombed Anhalter Bahnhof. It was bombed one hour out of Berlin leaving them in a ditch with body parts of killed passengers that required walking and thumbing rides for days to get to the German Field Hospital in Mattighofen where my Grandfather lay awaiting amputation of his hands and feet from frostbite. At 92 years of age,she says they followed the tracks walking for endless days.Does a resource for what the civilian rail passes looked like exist anywhere? My computerless email only shows me a military pass in brown and tan that I don't think looked the same as the public's rail pass/tickets. Thanks for any suggestions. CRAIG

GregSingh

Re: RAIL LINES in 1945

Postby GregSingh » 10 May 2017 23:45

Hi Craig,

Maps are here: Jahresfahrplan 1944/45. Mattighofen is on Bayern or Österreich maps - line 458h. There are several possibilities, you may want to check availability of Donau railroad bridges to determine the most likely route.

Greg

RandJS

Postby RandJS » 11 May 2017 01:23

Thank you Greg and Craig!

I was just wondering about the Rail lines in the west and considered starting a new thread. I think what you have provided might cover it.

Thanks again,
Rand

CRAIG CARR

Postby CRAIG CARR » 14 May 2017 19:39

dear Greg, Thank you so much for your insight and resource as I seek missing pieces of my mother's album during the war years.I will follow your excellent leads and see if I can locate one of the rail line maps from 1945..It was a pretty traumatic trip according to my 92 yr old mother from Berlin to Mattighofen to be on a train bombed off the tracks with passenger cars flipped over on their sides as the passengers in some of the cars were turned into human missiles propelled out of the car windows of the commuter cars were directly hit and were either blown apart into pieces, or reduced to flaming lumps of coal on the tressel gravel. By 1945, with 80% of males were conscripted into the military, so the overwhelming majority of passengers were mothers and children , school kids, and the elderly and a few new soldiers. When the cars flipped onto their sides, the right side passengers were thrown onto the windows that were now a bloody pool serving as the floor.
The only way out was to climb up on the bolted seats arm rests to reach the shattered windows above you as an exit that were now the ceiling. Highschool boys newly drafted, dangled from the waist down to tell survivors to reach upward for their
hands so they could lift them out and fling them over the trains wheels onto the embankment.My elderly friend Karl was six years old and experienced the same thing travelling with his aunt, and vividly recalls the strafing through the roof of the cars and planes that targeted the passengers spraying the glass windows of passengers with machine guns. The goal was to kill or maim as many civilians as possible as the "Point Blank" order of 1943 declared no distinction between combatants and civilians."Terror from the skies" is an understatement.Thanks so much for your help and guidance. "Good on you!" : ) craig

NeoVisionist

Postby NeoVisionist » 16 May 2017 23:19

Craig Carr that sounds harrowing as all-Hell! It is a sad, sad fact of life to have to deal with today's youth (some not so young... Hell I sound old saying that but I'm 28) droning on about the "liberation" of Germany and the "heroic" actions of butcher harris and his terror tactics... the very nerve!

CRAIG CARR

Postby CRAIG CARR » 17 May 2017 06:22

Bongiorno Neo Visionist, thankyou for your understanding comment.On January 9th,of 1945, my mother and 1000 highschool girls were drafted after a 6 minute physical that was so lame it defies belief." Stand on your left foot, lift up your right, stand on your right foot an lift your left knee,they were told to close their eyes and the officer clapped his hands and asked if they could hear it? " Of course we could!".. it was followed with Congratulations girls, you have just been drafted into the first female Signal Korp Gruppen told to call home and alert someone to bring the train station for them as they were being shipped out that night to the Luftwaffe Airbase at Konigsgratz CZ. Over that week, the new arrivals were housed in converted mechanics and pilots barracks into triple decker beds, handed the smallest man's uniform they could find and a box of safety pins to take in the seams so their blouses wouldn't; pop open or their pants fall down when they walked to the blackboard for Morse Code.The dictation.
HTe second week of March, the Soviets were on their push to Berlin, so the order of Kommandant Graubner was to evacuate the base of the girls immediately by train to the safety of the flight school in Lubeck. Can you imagine every train stop and girls
needding the ladies room as the transport trains only had one bathroom per car...a regular conga line ensued through out the trip. On the next to last stop.The last 5 girls out of the bathroom found their train had left w/o them.They arrived on the next transport and were promptly arrested and under the overnight laws written by Field Marshall von Keitel and General Blaskowitz they were punished ass being "AWOL" not by their choice.. and my mother was chosen to be hanged publicly as a warning to others,and was rescued in transit to her execution.Those new laws were used to execute an estimated 32K German boys in the last 10 weeks of WW2. .MY Mom arrived home for all of 2 days to learn of my Grandfather's impending surgery,
and boarded the train to Mattighofen thinking she was finally safe from harm..only to have that train blown up and off the tracks as mentioned above. She had survived being fire bombed during the Allied raids of Berlin that included napalm soaked rubber pellets exploded above fleeing civilians heads in night raids that fell like flaming rain burning a hole into clothing and skin.... bombers strafed funerals, children walking to and from school,concussion bomb collapsed schools to crush students between the floors as well as hospitals. It really defies belief.My Mother is a remarkable survivor.I have nearly completed the labum I made for her, which you can see on Google Archives if you type in: Ruth Kaplaneck Album as you can visually see what a terifying ordeal being a German citizen was like in Berlin living on loaves of bread made with 40% sawdust.I used my relatives oral histories for the captions of what they experienced daily. I feel it is civilian history that needs to be shared and saved.I am so thankful for Marcus making this site a reality. Thanks for writing, kindest regards, craig
skin

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”