German WW2 war dead memorials

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
Hanski

Re: German WW2 war dead memorials

Post by Hanski » 11 Jul 2013, 18:00

In his post before from May 04, 2009, OJJE presented several good photos of the German memorial of Norvajärvi to the North from Rovaniemi, Finland. I will just contribute one more photo of the sculpture from my recent visit, taken from a different angle.

Anyone planning to visit the Norvajärvi memorial for taking photos should be prepared for very dim prevailing light conditions. A tripod or a large aperture lens is highly recommended, or a large reflector if using flash. In summertime, also please do not forget the mosquito repellent.
Attachments
Norvajarvi3.jpg

Paul Warzecha

Post by Paul Warzecha » 16 Jul 2013, 21:29

The German war memorial in the Upper Silesian village of Szczedrzyk (Sczedrzik/Hitlersee), with the name of the village from the Third Reich visible on the monument.
The same memorial with the name Hitlersee covered.
The same memorial as it looks today with the name Hitlersee removed.
German War Memorial in Biestrzynnik (Biestrzinnik/Ringwalde)http://i.imgur.com/l3v8Rcl.jpg
Old Postcard of Biestrzynnik (Biestrzinnik/Ringwalde)http://www.ozimek.pl/static/img/k01/not ... nnik_2.jpg

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 16 Jul 2013, 22:48

I had forgotten about this thread.
Good to see its still alive.

http://www.volksbund.de/suche.html

used to have links to war memorials on its site years ago.
As you can see they \
work voluntarily for two to three weeks to maintain war graves or memorials so as to preserve them as a peace memorial? You are the right person for us! The German War Graves Commission (Volksbund Deutsche ... will also meet people from the host country. Work on war graves and memorials At most of the work camps, participants work approximately 20 hours per week maintaining
They try to maintain and in doing so this keeps the memory of those who served their country.

Adam Carr

Post by Adam Carr » 17 Jul 2013, 14:37

We have discussed the Szczedrzyk memorial here before. It was erected in the 1930s as a memorial to the dead of World War I. The town was then called Sczedrzik-Hitlersee after the artificial lake built as an unemployment relief project in 1934. After World War II most German monuments in the areas annexed by Poland were destroyed, but the Oppeln (Opole) region was exempted because the people there who spoke a Silesian German-Polish dialect called Wasserpolnisch were classed as "indigenous" and allowed to stay. The word "Hitlersee" was of course removed. The monument is maintained by the Deutsche Freundschaftkreis (DFK, German Friendship Circle) as indicated.

Paul Warzecha

Post by Paul Warzecha » 17 Jul 2013, 16:45

Adam Carr wrote:We have discussed the Szczedrzyk memorial here before. It was erected in the 1930s as a memorial to the dead of World War I. The town was then called Sczedrzik-Hitlersee after the artificial lake built as an unemployment relief project in 1934. After World War II most German monuments in the areas annexed by Poland were destroyed, but the Oppeln (Opole) region was exempted because the people there who spoke a Silesian German-Polish dialect called Wasserpolnisch were classed as "indigenous" and allowed to stay. The word "Hitlersee" was of course removed. The monument is maintained by the Deutsche Freundschaftkreis (DFK, German Friendship Circle) as indicated.
I just found the picture of the memorial with the name "Hitlersee" visible yesterday, so I decided to make a new post and share it with the world.
German War Memorial in Biestrzynnik (Biestrzinnik/Ringwalde)http://i.imgur.com/l3v8Rcl.jpg
Old Postcard of Biestrzynnik (Biestrzinnik/Ringwalde)http://www.ozimek.pl/static/img/k01/not ... nnik_2.jpg

Monsoon

Post by Monsoon » 10 Jan 2016, 05:08

Holy Necro-post, Batman!!

Well, not as old as some of the posts I've seen. Anyway, there's a German war memorial in Kalkar. Nothing flashy, just says, "Unseren Helden 1914-1918, 1939-1945".

I use to pass it every time I walked into town.

Here's a link: http://www.rp-online.de/nrw/staedte/kle ... -1.5075683

Oscarruben

Post by Oscarruben » 05 Nov 2016, 04:05

The leftist sympathizers always break the monuments, except the CHE, an Argentine criminal, why accuse children ?.

H.Chinanski

Post by H.Chinanski » 26 Mar 2017, 09:35

Actually I don't agree.

I am German and I live in Germany.
Truth is, there is a war memorial in almost every single town - even in the smallest villages.

There you can find the names of the fallen soldiers of the last two World Wars. Sometimes you can even find older ones, e.g. memorials from the war 1870/71. They are usually not violated by anyone. Just google the term "Kriegerdenkmal" and you will find lots of pictures.

What we don't have are memorials for the dead after 1945. But since we don't have so many fallen soldiers since 1945, it should not be a big surprise.

scafftag

Post by scafftag » 28 Apr 2017, 17:46

Hi, Rob

In my travels around Germany, I've seen a lot of war memorials for WW2, of varying sizes. The one I saw in Neumarkt disgusted me - it was a mess of cigarette ends, empty cans and bottles, and what looked very like spit dribbling down it. Others seem to be cared for and treated with a modicum of respect. I was interested to see that one in a village on the Austro-German border also had a section for those posted missing.

Scafftag
Treu wie die deutsche Eichen

scafftag

Post by scafftag » 29 Apr 2017, 12:08

George's hero, Michael Wittman and his crew.
[/quote]

As I was instrumental in supplying the information that led to the finding of the remains of Besatzung Wittmann, I was delighted to see this photo of the grave. One of these days, I'll maybe even get to La Cambe myself!
Treu wie die deutsche Eichen

JustinG

Post by JustinG » 24 Aug 2017, 01:57

There are war grave commissions like this one. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_Wa ... Commission.
I Hope this helps. I hope to spend much of my retirement years volunteering with this group.

Best Regards,
JustinG
Interested in Kriegsmarine ship, unit, station, Mützenbands and Wappen

Dr.Mabuse

Post by Dr.Mabuse » 26 Aug 2017, 00:40

anybody hase some more pics of german war memorials?

rosewriter1916

Post by rosewriter1916 » 26 Aug 2017, 17:13

ghostsoldier wrote:
Reichssammler wrote:P.s. many memorials are destroyed by left wing -extremists here because they think there is no reason to remember the german soldiers...:(
Nils,
That is indeed a shame, and a crime against the memory of the fallen soldiers. Having the "right" or "wrong" political dogma does not change the value of their service, or the price they paid for fighting for what they believed in....it's too bad the government of Germany, and the extremists, can't see this.
Rob

Indeed. I am currently working on the story of an SS soldier from Austria. And I think his story is going to offer another perspective on the SS soldiers. He deserted Hitler's personal guard as soon as he found out about the ideology. Then he was arrested and then later joined the ranks again. But the Third Reich ideology was never going to be his. German soldiers also risked execution if they didn't participate in the 3rd Reich and not many understand that!

driz

Post by driz » 26 Aug 2017, 20:18

Spike 7.62 wrote:
jima wrote:Who ever said there is a memorial with pictures in Garmisch for dead German soldiers is correct, there is one within walking distance of Maximillianshohe on the south west end of Garmisch
That was me, and I am glad you saw it as well. I have saw that memorial in 2007, but upon my return to Garmisch in 2010 I couldn't find it. I would like to return some day and see it again.

I was stationed there as an MP in late 70's. I still go there at least yearly. You'll find there are at least 3 of them in the area. One is right down town in front of Macdonalds of all things :roll: . Pizza Hut is almost across the street no less. I'm pretty sure that's WW1 by the style of writing and it's condition. It's very dark with lots of moss.
There are at least 2 more memorials there but they are up on the surrounding hills along the walking trails. Nothing elaborate , just a small building fenced. With a wall inside and little plaques often with pictures. It's surprising just how many of these locals got killed from that small town. Also surprising is especially in 44-45 how extremely young and old they were. Also how many were killed on the Russian Front.

Dr.Mabuse

Post by Dr.Mabuse » 28 Aug 2017, 21:21

Hello,

one single monument for all soldiers of the wehrmacht and waffen-ss got killed or missed in action, simply doesnt exists. Duo the fact, almost every german town got its own war memorial, an estimated number of german memorials is more than 100.000, mostly for ww1 and ww2. Some are for the war of 1870/71 and a few for the war aginst napoleon. They varies in look and seize. There is a monument for the fallen of the german army for ww1 and ww2 and modern times in Koblenz. There is naval memorial in Laboe for all sailor who lost their lifes in combat. There is a memorial wall with the names all german uboaters who lost their lifes. There is a central memorial place for the german Stalingrad deads. There is a memorial for the deads of the german airforce ww1, ww2 and modern times.

But it is interesting to see differnet local german and also austrain memorials. a wikipedia site covers thousands of german war memorials. Would be interesting to see the photos of memorials in germany the members of this forum visited :) or from wikipedia the memorials you "like"

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”