What can I glean from the fact that my grandfather joined NSDAP in 1933

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
josie

What can I glean from the fact that my grandfather joined NSDAP in 1933

Postby josie » 08 Sep 2017 14:23

Hi

I've been trying to read up on it but thought I would just come and ask the experts. I hope that this is in the correct section.

I have recently received some paperwork which indicates that my grandfather joined the NSDAP on 29.3.1933. He died in 1944/5 and my grandmother remarried and moved to England and I have no other real information about him. The papers state that he was a baker if I'm reading them correctly. He was from Berlin. In the document (from 1939) his address is listed as SA Heim, Kulmbacherstraße 11, Berlin. I guess that was some sort of hostel for the SA.

Family stories say that he was either an engineer or worked for the police worked. I am wondering if this job change came after he joined. My gran always said that he had to join the party to keep working but, if he is listed as a baker as his profession, I'm guessing that wasn't the reason he joined (and she never mentioned him being a baker).

Thanks for any thoughts or advice.

GregSingh

Re: What can I glean from the fact that my grandfather joined NSDAP in 1933

Postby GregSingh » 09 Sep 2017 10:47

Address books for Berlin are available for searches. So there is a good chance you will find him and his profession.

I had a look at Kulmbacherstraße 11 and SA Heim is not listed there.
You did not provide a suburb, so I picked up W50 Wilmersdorf, not sure if this is correct.

Also there is a way of obtaining his service record if he was in the army. Lot's of stuff is now digitized, so its only up to you what you want to do.

As for the reason why he joined NSDAP, he only himself could answer this.

josie

Postby josie » 11 Sep 2017 13:46

Thanks for the reply Greg. I am quite good at UK family research but a novice at German genealogy so any pointers will be gratefully received.

I have had another look at the paperwork. It was sent by the Deutsches Rotes Kreutz as my cousin requested information a few years ago. I have 2 documents, both from the Bundesarchiv R2, 12175 Berlin. The first is entitled "BA (ehem BDC) NSDAP-Gaukartel" and the second is "Parteistatistische Erhebung 1939". How would I go about getting his service record? My end target is to find out more about his family, as my family tree on his side currently ends at him.

I have looked at Address Books in the past and I can never find him - or anyone else I search for! Is there some trick that I am missing? I know from the 1939 paperwork that his address then was Bayreuther Strasse 20 in what I think is W30. It's near the KaDaWe which is close to where my grandmother was living (they married later in 1939 I think), so that makes sense.

Are there any better forums to ask about these forms? I would like to scan and post them somewhere to see if there are any pointers that I am missing, but I am aware that many people find them contentious because of the subject matter. I am also aware that this isn't a genealogy forum!

Once again, thanks for your advice.

GregSingh

Postby GregSingh » 11 Sep 2017 23:22

Hi, I sent you PM.
Greg

josie

Postby josie » 12 Sep 2017 12:52

Thanks again Greg.

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”